2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL not good enough. Yes had a decent couple of months last season, but people forget just how many golden opportunities he misses, chances that other strikers put away. I’d give Kean a run and be looking for another striker

....Kean was poor until his last game and Ancelotti keeps picking DCL over him. Hopefully Kean comes to the fore, but he has far more questions to answer than DCL.

Do we know if he is "good enough"? No. Hope he is, would love to be wrong about him honestly. He's got just about everything to be a really good forward for us just that his finishing is suspect.

Do we know if he is "good enough"? No. Hope he is, would love to be wrong about him honestly. He's got just about everything to be a really good forward for us just that his finishing is suspect.
He's improved his game year on year on year. Scored about 15 goals last season, looking for him to repeat or exceed that again really.
I think he's good enough personally

DCL back on topic scored one made our pen ....yet the doubters still moan on here .....
We need a creative midfield for DCL and Rhico .,...

We probably also need a forward to do a bit more with the ball at his feet than DCL does but I suppose it depends on our ambitions. I think we've got a good chance of getting into the top 10 with him as our main striker. Anything more than that I think we're struggling.

He's improved his game year on year on year. Scored about 15 goals last season, looking for him to repeat or exceed that again really.

What do you think he's good enough for? I think he improved a lot last year to get himself to the standard of a mid table striker. It's a big challenge for him to take the next step up after that but given our likely lack of business in the transfer market we need him to take it.

I just think he his finishing in general is poor. Like I said, i will gladly hold my hand up and I hope I will, I just don't know.

I think he’s good enough as well. He scored 15 goals last season, the same as Richarlison. He holds the ball up well and is good at winning headers when the ball is booted up the pitch, which is a much better option than the playing out from the back that we do, which puts us under needless pressure that often leads to conceding goals, just like today.

Yes, he misses sitters. But if your missing sitters and still getting 15 goals a season then you’re still doing well and shows that you have the potential to do exceptionally well. He’s better than Kean, way better imo.

We’d have lost 3-1 today without DCL.

I remember watching Brett Angell play for us, and DCL on his worst day is three times the player that waistrel was.

In fact even in that FA Cup game vs Southend when he allegedly impressed us he stood out as being crap, and that game was like watching paint dry after it had been applied to ones eyes.
Brett Angel was the single worst striker I have seen play for the club. Some perspective is required.

He’s put a lot of work into his physique and his hold up play over the last couple of years and on his day he bullies CBs. It’d be great to see him put that same kind of shift into practicing his finishing. He’s obviously not a “natural” goal scorer but I refuse to believe that putting in the hours on the training ground wouldn’t markedly improve this aspect of his game and turn him into a 15-20 a season regular.

One can hope...
It’d be great to see him in a team where he was backed up with an aggressive midfield and wingers who got in to positions where they could cross - like Dunc had sometimes

Brett Angel was the single worst striker I have seen play for the club. Some perspective is required.
DCL cost very little we have have had far worst strikers in better teams i.e. James Beattie one goal in one season and that was a pen - if DC L had half decent support behind him he would score more than 15 goals per season as would Rhico ......the midfield is woeful......

The only plus on DCL is that's we didn't spend a lot of money on him and as for his lack of chances due to our poor midfield he had plenty of chances last season of which he missed plenty .Must be one of the few professional strikers who can't shoot properly and wouldn't put him in my top 15 Premiership strikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.