2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's going to improve his finishing, or I hope he improves and he ends up like one of those Giroud types - i.e. good at hold up and linking play, but only good for around 12-15 goals a season. That would be amazing too

Dom needs to work with his ability on the ball. If he can learn to dribble at even a mediocre level, he becomes a much better player. He is already adept at flicking the ball on and actually has some good moments in the buildup. His finishing ability is fine for a young player and as expected he went hot and cold in that regard.

Tidy up the finishing a tad and learn to dribble. Godspeed Dominic
I think this gets overlooked a lot. He's extremely basic outside of challenging for headers and roughing up the teams that have farts like Mustafi, Christensen and Lindelof at the back.

I think this gets overlooked a lot. He's extremely basic outside of challenging for headers and roughing up the teams that have farts like Mustafi, Christensen and Lindelof at the back.
Agree with that, He's a good outlet, but at times his hold up play can be pretty pedestrian. He's quick, but he very rarely seems to turn and run at people, it's all very one dimensional; take a touch, take another touch, head away from goal, lay it off. I'd say his hold up play is effective, but not particularly dangerous.

big season for the lad, He did very well last year now he needs to do it again otherwise it's not good enough, Can't be hitting 15 then going down to 7 or 8, I'll take 10+ though minimum.

Will put this in here (I posted it in the Kean group) - my thoughts on DCL at the mo.

What do people think? Harsh? I do think there's a really good player there.

I just, well, I don't know where to begin with the lad.

When he was playing well, which he clearly was, to see / hear him talk about his England credentials just stunk of over-buying into what is clearly the exception to the rule with him.

His form overall since joining the club, and people will know i'm very much patient with younger players (@Saint Domingo and I used to have many a debate over the fluctuating form of Stones et al), has been generally low-scoring.

His hold up play, aerially ability etc - all outstanding. For his age, outstanding.

But anyway, back to my point. He doesn't score alot of goals. Yet pre-lockdown he's talking about England. Post-lockdown, he's constantly fiddling with his hair, he's having a pop at Gomes for wrong passes when his own control and form was toilet.

I just think he's believing his own hype. I might be being harsh, i'll accept that.

Potentially an excellent player. And this season overall was a marked improvement. But there is so much more improvement to go. And that's not his image, his hair, his dress sense. All that: good on him. But football first.

My prediction is that Kean will become our number 9 this season.

Will put this in here (I posted it in the Kean group) - my thoughts on DCL at the mo.

One part of your post there " believing in his own hype" think that's 100% what it is

The lad had a 2 month spell where he looked good in 3/4 years and he's talking about england etc, he's running before he can walk. I don't think he's shown enough during his time OVERALL to show he's anything other than a bench option, I think if Kean had a similar run of games to what DCL had he'd have a similar goal return as well.

How he got away with starting every game minus the last one after lockdown I don't know.

I think that's fair. Obviously part of that is a subjective opinion on his priorities and how being 'humble' and 'hungry' affect his play. But the main two things for me: 1) His work ethic is outstanding and I don't think that a small amount of success will have a huge affect on that. You can see it with his fitness and pressing that he's a hard worker. 2) His play off the ball has improved a ton and he affects the game by wearing down CBs even when he doesn't score. If we had two other natural goal scorers around him (not just Richy) it would be better.

His physicality and ball winning are assets up front when long balls are sent in, but I must say that his actual hold-up play with the ball at his feet has not caught up with everything else. Seeing Kean's natural hold-up play in the Bournemouth game really nailed that point for me. I would like to see him rotate with Kean and have one non-striker player become a better goal threat. With those two things I'll be less concerned about Dom blowing hot and cold with scoring.

big season for the lad, He did very well last year now he needs to do it again otherwise it's not good enough, Can't be hitting 15 then going down to 7 or 8, I'll take 10+ though minimum.

Thing is ... don’t think he’ll get the same number of opportunities. Kean will hopefully earn a bigger role so I could see Richy / DCL / Kean rotating through there more. That’s provided we don’t buy another as well. The kid needs to slot early and often to keep his place.

Hopefully he has the self belief to ignore the doubters. Crack on dom. Continue your development. Grab that England spot.
One of our most improved players last season and at the very least a sellable asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.