2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that would be the real acid test for Pickford because he'd have to knuckle down and improve, whereas you'd infer that he may have been complacent.

While I'm not in the 'he's rubbish' camp or advocating selling him, I've always said that I am concerned about his personality and mental side of the game.

He doesn't seem to take (fair) criticism very well and his whole persona gives a feeling of arrogance: does he understand he needs to improve? Does he want to?

The whole going to the darts and necking pints in front of the media when we were in a period of congested fixtures gave the aura of a player not taking it seriously.

Before the suspension, he was making some real clangers where the ball was going through him or beating him at the near post: has he been addressing this?
Very sensible post and to the point, not going over the top but telling it as it stands.

I think Pickford is safe for the simple reason that I doubt if there will be any big offers coming in for him, mind you if we got our own money, what we paid for him, then we’d be foolish to turn it down. He’s a good shot stopper and erm, erm, erm, well as I was saying he’s a good shot stopper.
I moved this out of the Bernard thread.

Except this year he really isn't. There are still the occasional stunners but far too many are going in. When he was playing well it was because he was a good shot stopper and that going away has revealed just how lacking the rest can be.

I moved this out of the Bernard thread.

Except this year he really isn't. There are still the occasional stunners but far too many are going in. When he was playing well it was because he was a good shot stopper and that going away has revealed just how lacking the rest can be.

....it’s a fair point. He’s probably a decent instinctive shot stopper. When he’s got time to think he prone to mistakes.

I'm old enough to remember when Everton fans were delighted we got Pickford to replace Tim Howard.
Clearly the delight was that we got rid of Tim Howard.
Pickford was player of the season his first season as I recall? Must have just got lucky for 38 games.

I'm old enough to remember when Everton fans were delighted we got Pickford to replace Tim Howard.
Pickford was player of the season his first season as I recall? Must have just got lucky for 38 games.
I certainly was'nt delighted when we signed a goalkeeper who had just conceded 50+ goals, people get blinded by the fact he is England no1, does'nt make him any good, England have not done anything for years.

I certainly was'nt delighted when we signed a goalkeeper who had just conceded 50+ goals, people get blinded by the fact he is England no1, does'nt make him any good, England have not done anything for years.
He legitimately played well in 17/18 and at that point he was a good shot stopper with some flaws. The flaws have gone nowhere but he's also stopped stopping shots. It doesn't leave much and it started last year.

Tbf mate Howard could be really good for us too in games and was a decent keeper overall but ultimately he had a few clangers in him and left a lot to be desired in how he commanded the box, dealt with crosses and distributed the ball.

I see many of same issues with Pickford, he's an erratic figure when a goalie needs to be a calming presence, he can pull off worldy saves but is all too often at fault for a fair few goals. Granted Pickford is younger, and young for a goalie, so he has time on his side to add the elements that make a keeper with good natural shot-stopping ability like him into a top-class one.

That said, I can't help but feel his personality won't ever lend towards him being the calming presence we need in goal. So if we were offered enough to make back most for what we spent on him, or even make a profit, then we should cash in and look for a new goalie. That said, I can't see anyone spending big on him, and we have much more pressing needs than replacing our Goalie right now, CM, RW, CB and RB are all of greater importance. Ideally we'd be able to sign all of these as well as perhaps a more experienced keeper who will actually keep Pickford on his toes but I doubt finances will budget for that. So let's just hope Ancelotti can have a good effect on him.

Tbf mate Howard could be really good for us too in games and was a decent keeper overall but ultimately he had a few clangers in him and left a lot to be desired in how he commanded the box, dealt with crosses and distributed the ball.

I see many of same issues with Pickford, he's an erratic figure when a goalie needs to be a calming presence, he can pull off worldy saves but is all too often at fault for a fair few goals. Granted Pickford is younger, and young for a goalie, so he has time on his side to add the elements that make a keeper with good natural shot-stopping ability like him into a top-class one.

That said, I can't help but feel his personality won't ever lend towards him being the calming presence we need in goal. So if we were offered enough to make back most for what we spent on him, or even make a profit, then we should cash in and look for a new goalie. That said, I can't see anyone spending big on him, and we have much more pressing needs than replacing our Goalie right now, CM, RW, CB and RB are all of greater importance. Ideally we'd be able to sign all of these as well as perhaps a more experienced keeper who will actually keep Pickford on his toes but I doubt finances will budget for that. So let's just hope Ancelotti can have a good effect on him.
Disagree. I thought Howard was bang average. Didnt make many howlers compared to the amount of games he played but also rarely made top class
points winning saves He was a 6th-15th best keepr in the league.

Pickford has made serious errors in almost every game I watched for well over a year now. He is eratic, doeasnt seem to have the right temperament to be a top class keeper and I doubt any of his defenders/midfielders have almost any faith in him whatsoever. He looks the worst keeper in the prem by some way to me.

Disagree. I thought Howard was bang average. Didnt make many howlers compared to the amount of games he played but also rarely made top class
points winning saves He was a 6th-15th best keepr in the league.

Pickford has made serious errors in almost every game I watched for well over a year now. He is eratic, doeasnt seem to have the right temperament to be a top class keeper and I doubt any of his defenders/midfielders have almost any faith in him whatsoever. He looks the worst keeper in the prem by some way to me.

Agree on Howard, think he was alright, just think he's unfairly criticised at times because he was kept on 2 seasons too long.

With Pickford, I wouldn't say he's one of the worst in the league, he's capable of saves only a few other keepers in the league are capable of but his mentality and erratic nature and lack of focus almost completely cancels out his abilities as shot stopper. It's clear now Koeman/Walsh just signed him as flavour of the month young English player, hope we look to the continent for our next keeper.

Not a patch on Nigel Martyn. On his best form though he can be a good keeper, what is infuriating is that since the World Cup his form has just dropped off a cliff edge to the point where nearly every shot he faces is going in.

Not a patch on Nigel Martyn. On his best form though he can be a good keeper, what is infuriating is that since the World Cup his form has just dropped off a cliff edge to the point where nearly every shot he faces is going in.
Dele Ali, Lingard, Pickford maybe a couple more, haven't been the same since that world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.