2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if we don’t sell those players when the big offers come in, it sets us back massively.

Its not just the immediate reinvestment, there are all sorts of financial considerations - FFP, balancing the books, meeting overheads.

Historically, we’ve relied on the sales of Rooney, Arteta, Pienarr, Lescott, Rom, Stones, etc, to keep us going - that’s where we are as a club.

I like the sentiment of keeping our best players but there is a good reason clubs have to sell when the big offers come in and the player wants to walk.
The sales of Rooney, Arteta etc. were in a different era financially.

And tbf we are about to enter another era after the virus goes away so the strategy of just letting it ride because the TV money is always there is probably done.

Which is to say my idea probably won't work anymore unfortunately.

I think we might listen to offers for a number of players if the price was right.
I would say there are relatively few players that the manager would not sell at any price.
However, that is not to say the manager wants rid of these players, they can do a job for him and the team, it's just they are not crucial and I think that bringing in cash to fund purchases and keep within FFP boundaries is an issue.
I would guess that Pickford, Holgate,Digne,DCL,Gomes and Richarlison will not be sold.

I think we might listen to offers for a number of players if the price was right.
I would say there are relatively few players that the manager would not sell at any price.
However, that is not to say the manager wants rid of these players, they can do a job for him and the team, it's just they are not crucial and I think that bringing in cash to fund purchases and keep within FFP boundaries is an issue.
I would guess that Pickford, Holgate,Digne,DCL,Gomes and Richarlison will not be sold.
Pickford isn't safe if a top offer came in but that really shouldn't happen.

Pickford isn't safe if a top offer came in but that really shouldn't happen.
I would guess that Pickford is very safe.
Just because some fans don't appreciate what a good goalkeeper he is doesn't mean the manager doesn't realise how good he is.
Pickford is still probably two to three years off his peak and has been playing behind a dodgy back four and midfield.

The sales of Rooney, Arteta etc. were in a different era financially.

And tbf we are about to enter another era after the virus goes away so the strategy of just letting it ride because the TV money is always there is probably done.

Which is to say my idea probably won't work anymore unfortunately.

If tv money is withdrawn or lost then FFP will be relaxed.

The game cannot survive in it's current form otherwise. I have no problem with that, but the financial monsters in charge will not be as happy for change.

If tv money is withdrawn or lost then FFP will be relaxed.

The game cannot survive in it's current form otherwise. I have no problem with that, but the financial monsters in charge will not be as happy for change.

They have to allow a big splurge from the big clubs so the money funnels down the ladder.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Bernard move on or extend...he has 2 years on his deal is 27 so right in his prime...decent money or an extension.

I would guess that Pickford is very safe.
Just because some fans don't appreciate what a good goalkeeper he is doesn't mean the manager doesn't realise how good he is.
Pickford is still probably two to three years off his peak and has been playing behind a dodgy back four and midfield.
I think Pickford is safe for the simple reason that I doubt if there will be any big offers coming in for him, mind you if we got our own money, what we paid for him, then we’d be foolish to turn it down. He’s a good shot stopper and erm, erm, erm, well as I was saying he’s a good shot stopper.

I think Pickford is safe for the simple reason that I doubt if there will be any big offers coming in for him, mind you if we got our own money, what we paid for him, then we’d be foolish to turn it down. He’s a good shot stopper and erm, erm, erm, well as I was saying he’s a good shot stopper.
Certainly not a good shot stopper. He let’s in a load that he should save. Proper myth that about Pickford.

While the jury is still out on Pickford, I dont think you can make a case to say selling him for what we paid for him would be a good deal.

We signed him for 30 mil as unproven potential. Whether you rate him or not, you can't deny that his stock has risen considerably since he's been with us

Would take closer to double what we paid for us to consider a deal IMO

While the jury is still out on Pickford, I dont think you can make a case to say selling him for what we paid for him would be a good deal.

We signed him for 30 mil as unproven potential. Whether you rate him or not, you can't deny that his stock has risen considerably since he's been with us

Would take closer to double what we paid for us to consider a deal IMO
If the jury is still out on him why do you think his stock has risen considerably since he‘s been with us?

If the jury is still out on him why do you think his stock has risen considerably since he‘s been with us?

World cup semi final keeper, one of the gks of the tournament. Player of the season in his first year. There's a tiny clue

This.

Like I said, whether you like him or not, he is much much much higher profile now than when we signed him.

Higher profile doesnt always = better player.

But I'd say it pretty much always causes a players value to increase

Status
Not open for further replies.