2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry but Nick Pope isn’t better than Pickford. I don’t like the bloke but he’s a hell of a lot better than Pope who can’t kick, gets easily flapped and takes thirty minutes to move the ball around his 18 yard box. Nick Pope is just tall and if we put say Richarlison on him on set pieces instead of Bernard and drilled them in instead of floating them he wouldn’t have been claiming everything. He couldn’t deal with our free kicks at all either.

Classic Pickford getting pulled up for crossing the line with ball in hand instead of just punching the thing into touch. Very good shot stopper but his decision making is massively camp.
Was not even fully conclussive that for me,ref is looking towards it and linesman actually gives it,not sure how he could just punch it when a player is comming with his feet

I’m sorry but Nick Pope isn’t better than Pickford. I don’t like the bloke but he’s a hell of a lot better than Pope who can’t kick, gets easily flapped and takes thirty minutes to move the ball around his 18 yard box. Nick Pope is just tall and if we put say Richarlison on him on set pieces instead of Bernard and drilled them in instead of floating them he wouldn’t have been claiming everything. He couldn’t deal with our free kicks at all either.
Horses for courses as it was clear that it was Burnley's tactics to subtly (or not so subtly) run down the clock as much as possible. Ben Foster always does it.

With regards to who is better, I do think that Pickford is the better keeper, however I think you're doing Pope some disservice as it's closer than you're making out.

His kicking was poor yesterday, but Jordan's distribution is unpredictable at best: great to woeful from game to game. He's also a solid shot stopper.

Pickford has great reflexes, but his decision making is also questionable and I'd say Pope is probably more consistent at being steady and communicating.

Jordan isn't as bad as many may make out, although he's still has many other parts to his game that he can, and should, try to improve on.

I worry his confidence (cockiness) and overall stupidity probably means that he may not feel the same. Hopefully, Carlo can get an arm around him and mature him.

Was not even fully conclussive that for me,ref is looking towards it and linesman actually gives it,not sure how he could just punch it when a player is comming with his feet
As I recall he had bags of time to smite it into touch but decided to go with the risky strategy and got pegged. I agree it looked unfairly penalised but that's the point his choice wasn't the best in the circs

He is somewhere between the Howard of his last 2 seasons and the Howard in his first few seasons.

He is young so maybe with a top class manager he might start to improve his game.

However I’d be more inclined to believe this is as good as he gets and that we can do better.

id swap his occasionally excellent shot stopping for a keeper who is better all round. If we are going to be happy with only above average as our no1

ideally we find the next Oblak

Horses for courses as it was clear that it was Burnley's tactics to subtly (or not so subtly) run down the clock as much as possible. Ben Foster always does it.

With regards to who is better, I do think that Pickford is the better keeper, however I think you're doing Pope some disservice as it's closer than you're making out.

His kicking was poor yesterday, but Jordan's distribution is unpredictable at best: great to woeful from game to game. He's also a solid shot stopper.

Pickford has great reflexes, but his decision making is also questionable and I'd say Pope is probably more consistent at being steady and communicating.

Jordan isn't as bad as many may make out, although he's still has many other parts to his game that he can, and should, try to improve on.

I worry his confidence (cockiness) and overall stupidity probably means that he may not feel the same. Hopefully, Carlo can get an arm around him and mature him.
The thing for me is he is not tall enough to be considered a really good keeper so he does not command his box when the ball is in the air. I think.a lot in the ground were stunned when pope clutched a couple of corners out of the air cos they never see Jordan do it

The only real hint of a chance they had that Mina headed clear found him totally out of any worthwhile position.Needs to just stay on his line so that eveyone knows where they are.

The thing for me is he is not tall enough to be considered a really good keeper so he does not command his box when the ball is in the air. I think.a lot in the ground were stunned when pope clutched a couple of corners out of the air cos they never see Jordan do it
He's the same height as Southall.

I actually think he’s a natural keeper. Very talented and although I’ve never seen him in training, I bet he’d make a decent outfield player too. He’s been inconsistent this season with his kicking, but when he’s on his game the range and accuracy of his kicking is second to none.
His occasional bouts of madness for me are due to some kind of attention deficit syndrome, rather than being mature or “grown up “. The Geordie fans sense this and will be circling like vultures viewing their kill.
If he can manage to overcome this with a good performance tomorrow, I will take my hat off to him and eat gallons of humble pie. However, something tells me he will make some good saves, but be at fault for a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.