2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry but Nick Pope isn’t better than Pickford. I don’t like the bloke but he’s a hell of a lot better than Pope who can’t kick, gets easily flapped and takes thirty minutes to move the ball around his 18 yard box. Nick Pope is just tall and if we put say Richarlison on him on set pieces instead of Bernard and drilled them in instead of floating them he wouldn’t have been claiming everything. He couldn’t deal with our free kicks at all either.
Richie is a good box player, i dont think you waste him marking the keeper

The thing for me is he is not tall enough to be considered a really good keeper so he does not command his box when the ball is in the air. I think.a lot in the ground were stunned when pope clutched a couple of corners out of the air cos they never see Jordan do it
Like @tim cahill mentioned, Southall wasn’t particularly tall, but he was assertive and a good communicator. Kasper Schmeichel is similar, to an extent.

A common criticism of Pickford is that he’s neither assertive or a strong communicator. I sit in the Street End and I rarely hear him barking commands.

How many mistakes have come about due to confusion with fellow players because of his failure to control and command his area? A few.

The geordies absolutely rip him to bits they did last season and he lost his head in that game he’s also had a fight on a night out in Newcastle with them which made the papers,he really needs to keep calm tomorrow especially in front of carlo who probaly wasn’t impressed with his performance at the darts the other night :dance: :pint2:

He’s our number 1 and England’s number 1, top keeper whose still young just needs to iron out a few creases in his game and get his confidence back up to the top. Dealt sorry for him in the Leicester shoot out after making a PK save for us only to be let down by tosun and ok.

No, but that isn't down to his height. His height isn't stopping him being a top keeper.
Ok that's were we differ then. I think his height stops him from being a top class keeper. I go back to the cup game penalty shoot out. I was in the street end schmeichel near enough filled the park end goal Pickford looked lost in it. I'd love to see Pickford command his box at corners and free kicks and pluck the ball out of the air but it hardly ever happens. My heart is in my mouth every corner or free kick. And yes it's not just Pickford's fault but the team as a whole. But as a defender you gain confidence knowing that anything high in the air and the goalie will have it. That didn't happen with Jordan. Jordan is an adequate keeper who is a decent shot stopper but for me personally he makes too many mistakes and didn't command his penalty box

Like @tim cahill mentioned, Southall wasn’t particularly tall, but he was assertive and a good communicator. Kasper Schmeichel is similar, to an extent.

A common criticism of Pickford is that he’s neither assertive or a strong communicator. I sit in the Street End and I rarely hear him barking commands.

How many mistakes have come about due to confusion with fellow players because of his failure to control and command his area? A few.
I think he’s scared to come and claim the ball when a good cross comes in. Nick Pope was claiming balls on Thursday that Pickford wouldn’t go near

Status
Not open for further replies.