2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't have paid that!

I would, but would have let him get game time out on loan to shake a lot of kinks in his game, and also bought a more experienced keeper to keep the nets warm for a season or two. That’s where we haven’t been smart at all in any transfer window in the past decade, we let Howard decline so hard because we signed poor back ups and we’ve seen the good and the bad from Pickford because there’s been no real competition

Didnt conceed a goal,clean sheet,and before you say he had no shots or whatever,its the same thing as in when we conceed most of you look for the tiniest thing to moan about on him,even when he did nothing and even when we dont conceed,never get some of you in this thread who just want to moan and moan and moan lol,some of you must be pre programmed to moan about him and set the alarm when the game has ended

Didnt conceed a goal,clean sheet,and before you say he had no shots or whatever,its the same thing as in when we conceed most of you look for the tiniest thing to moan about on him,even when he did nothing and even when we dont conceed,never get some of you in this thread who just want to moan and moan and moan lol,some of you must be pre programmed to moan about him and set the alarm when the game has ended
Exactly!M!

At the end of his first season we should have punted Pickford when his stock was high and got Pope in. We'd have got asbout £60M for Pickford off some mug club and would have had to hand Burnley about £15M top whack for Pope.
Great post.

His stock was sky high after Russia 2018. He’d made a few great point blank saves (which he’s generally very good at) while his other wesknesses (poor concentration, poor positioning, the odd brain fart, lack of calmness) didn’t show over that five weeks. Being English he’d have been overvalued too.

Since then though, all the deficiencies have come to the fore. Having to make harder saves than they should be (via poor positioning) is probably my biggest gripe. It’s as though he wants to make them look more spectacular. The free kick at Old Trafford recently, what should have been a routine save, as he moved too far one way he then had to make a one handed stretch to tip the ball away. It was standard stuff. He got away with that one, others he does not.

The biggest issue though (which I don’t think he can do anything about) is the lack of concentration. The obvious hyperactivity that afflicts him. The constant movement, twitches, shouts, his reacting to the crowd...the gk position is the one above all where you need a calm head, where you could have nothing to do for half an hour then be called upon to make a save. It takes great focus to be able to succeed in this position, and he lacks focus in abundance. He went apeshit after making the first save in the penalty shootout (there’s five pens, Jordan).

Great post.

His stock was sky high after Russia 2018. He’d made a few great point blank saves (which he’s generally very good at) while his other wesknesses (poor concentration, poor positioning, the odd brain fart, lack of calmness) didn’t show over that five weeks. Being English he’d have been overvalued too.

Since then though, all the deficiencies have come to the fore. Having to make harder saves than they should be (via poor positioning) is probably my biggest gripe. It’s as though he wants to make them look more spectacular. The free kick at Old Trafford recently, what should have been a routine save, as he moved too far one way he then had to make a one handed stretch to tip the ball away. It was standard stuff. He got away with that one, others he does not.

The biggest issue though (which I don’t think he can do anything about) is the lack of concentration. The obvious hyperactivity that afflicts him. The constant movement, twitches, shouts, his reacting to the crowd...the gk position is the one above all where you need a calm head, where you could have nothing to do for half an hour then be called upon to make a save. It takes great focus to be able to succeed in this position, and he lacks focus in abundance. He went apeshit after making the first save in the penalty shootout (there’s five pens, Jordan).

@davek said exactly this.

I hope people are having a word in his ear about Saturday. He made a right fool of himself in this fixture last year and I'm sure he'll do exactly the same this time around unless he's told to cut it out.
There's no doubt the Geordies will be winding him up big time after last year. Time for him to grow up

Status
Not open for further replies.