Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I'll be struggling through the day tomorrow as divorce continues to drag on and my ex wife seeks to destroy me.
I'm not even seeing my 14 year old daughter for the first time on Christmas day ever and I've told my family to leave me a lone for the day as I can't face them.

That just breaks my heart, mate.

There’s a saying that it’s not the wind that blows a ship onto the rocks but rather how the sailor sets or adjusts his sails.

Don’t let this destroy you. Better days will come, and you need to stay healthy and well to enjoy them.You’re allowed to find enjoyment in your family’s company. Don’t let her take absolutely everything from you.

But if you do want alone time - that’s ok too. Quiet reflection in between some trashy tv and punctuated by posting here for light relief from the wonderful people who’ll be holding the post!

Wishing you fast healing and many better days!

I'll be struggling through the day tomorrow as divorce continues to drag on and my ex wife seeks to destroy me.
I'm not even seeing my 14 year old daughter for the first time on Christmas day ever and I've told my family to leave me a lone for the day as I can't face them.

Feel for you mate.

As @The Missing Lineker says come on here, chat bollox and generally try to forget about it all for a bit.

I'm sorry you are being put through this by a manipulative ex, Dave. If you find being around your family as an enjoyable and uplifting experience, please go be with them and put all other outside noise away for the day. Family tends to love regardless of what other crap is going on.

Well it's been over a month since my son went back to school and he's not missed a single day. He's had a couple of minor wobbles but he's still gone to school. To say he's achieved 100% attendance is remarkable considering he hadn't been for 6 months and he's changed schools. The feedback from school has been great and he's made new friends. I even found him doing some extra homework the other night....I almost cried with the way he was so calm and showing me the extra work he'd been doing to catch up. Something so basic that most people take for granted means so much to us as a family.

In the back of my mind however I dread this coming back. Is it a case of an incident bringing him crashing back down, exam stress, coming off meds, etc etc. I'm not sure I'll be able to relax about that for a long time and I do worry about his future. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

My other worry is that his ambition is to join the army and I wonder how this year will affect his chances. On their website it says no more than two episodes of anxiety/depression and CAMHS have said this would be classed as one episode. He might change his mind over time but it's something he's been adamant about for a while.

A while ago CAMHS recommended family therapy for us. After being on a 6 month waiting list we've finally got an appointment. We are still going to go although my eldest son doesn't want to go. We aren't going to force him but we are going to take our youngest son whose ten. Over the last three years he's seen/heard a lot of things that he shouldn't have. Seeing his older brother having panic attacks, crying on the floor, saying he wants to kill himself etc etc could have influenced him. He seems fine but I'm conscious that much have this is associated with high school and he goes to high school next year. He may also think we've given the eldest much more attention given his situation which we probably did at times but not by choice. We'll see how it goes.

Once again, thanks for the support and for "listening". I always feel a little better after posting in this thread so I encourage others to do so too. People may not see the support that goes on beyond this thread either. I've had numerous members contact me via private message to offer support and I'll always be grateful for that.

My lad broke up for school last week with 100% attendance since he changed school. My wife broke down in tears reading his school report as it's the first time since going to high school that he's attained 100% attendance. He's had problems ever since going there. The report was great and some of his grades were fantastic considering he's missed a year of their Gcse studies and he's not been to school for six months eg. A in English. He's also made new friends and settled in so well.

Watching him this morning opening his presents and being so happy is just something I couldn't have dreamed of earlier this year when we hit rock bottom and were in hospital with him wanting to kill himself. So if things aren't going well right now, don't give up, keep fighting, it can get better.

Thanks again for the support over the year. Really appreciate it. Have a good Xmas everyone.

Mate I’ve gone through a divorce this last 12 months. I can tell you last Christmas was the saddest period of my life (even allowing for the death of my father). The enormity of the family life you had with your kids really hits home to you at this time of the year, when it’s no longer there. My daughter is still being cold to me (even though it was my ex who wanted to end the marriage) all you can do is try and be reasonable with your ex, and hope she comes round and allows you more access to your daughter. If not you’ll have to go through the courts, as every dad is entitled to see their kids. Get through this difficult period mate and things will get better for you.

Last edited:
I have vivid memories of really struggling with my mental health 2 or 3 years ago. I'm now in a better place and I feel for anyone trying to cope. Stay safe everyone and please know that there will be better times ahead. My favourite present this year was from my wife. I asked her to donate to Crisis so someone homeless can at least have a good Christmas day. Peace and goodwill to all.

Today can be a really awful day for anyone going through a bad time. It can be a particularly cruel day.

First thing anyone should keep in mind is it’s not just you. Despite appearances it’s not the case that everybody on earth except you is having a wonderful day full of family warmth etc. There are loads and loads of people in a crap boat. So it’s not unique to you.

Stay off social media.

And just keep in mind that this will pass and life will change in some way.

I’ve used today to finally decide on a route out of my problems. It’ll involve doing things i don’t really want to do but it will be a route forward that in time will sort things out.

Chin up everyone. Keep on fighting.

I have vivid memories of really struggling with my mental health 2 or 3 years ago. I'm now in a better place and I feel for anyone trying to cope. Stay safe everyone and please know that there will be better times ahead. My favourite present this year was from my wife. I asked her to donate to Crisis so someone homeless can at least have a good Christmas day. Peace and goodwill to all.
I remember that time and Im sure I posted then to you. Youve done well.. and giving back with your thoughts for others. Peace to you and yours

My lad broke up for school last week with 100% attendance since he changed school. My wife broke down in tears reading his school report as it's the first time since going to high school that he's attained 100% attendance. He's had problems ever since going there. The report was great and some of his grades were fantastic considering he's missed a year of their Gcse studies and he's not been to school for six months eg. A in English. He's also made new friends and settled in so well.

Watching him this morning opening his presents and being so happy is just something I couldn't have dreamed of earlier this year when we hit rock bottom and were in hospital with him wanting to kill himself. So if things aren't going well right now, don't give up, keep fighting, it can get better.

Thanks again for the support over the year. Really appreciate it. Have a good Xmas everyone.
That is so lovely. Happy Christmas to you and your family x