Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I know it may seem alien to many but when going through splits or life changing experiences there comes a point when you have to get selfish. By that, I mean concentrate solely on yourself and don't concern yourself with the feelings of others (except your children, of course). Too many of us beat ourselves up and blame - or made to feel blame - ourselves but we need to realise no matter how hard that life is still worth living and there are still so many positive opportunities out there. Don't dwell on what was or might have been, use the opportunity to rebuild. Set achievable targets and give yourself positive things to aim for and try to close out the negatives. Ex-partners may never learn the errors of their ways but seeing you moving forward will have a profound and salutory effect upon them, encouragement and reason enough to stay upbeat and use the chance to prove you have still so much to offer and attain. Dump the baggage that is, essentially, self-inflicted (because deep down your psyche WANTS to make you feel bad and blame yourself) and weighing you down. If you are offered help or assistance to do so then accept it but it has to also come from within. Stepping stones become pathways become avenues to new and better horizons.
Stay safe and positive, guys. X

Bloody hell mate well done for getting your life back on track. I'm going through the same type of thing with my ex wife. Its been 18 months now since she started trying to destroy me after her affair.
She has very nearly achieved it too but just reading your message has given me slight hope.
I've lived in my car and allsorts of crap just like you.
Honestly mate congratulations on getting your life back. Its such z struggle
Feel free to message me anytime for a chat. It will get better I assure you small steps and time is a healer

To add to the book list that @the golden visionary provided yesterday, here is a list of books that have helped me get on the right track during/after personal/professional issues.

Awaken the Giant Within - Tony Robbins
Principles - Ray Dalio (Business Book)
Your Best Life Now, 7 Steps to Living at your Full Potential - Joel Osteen
No Excuses - Brian Tracy (Self-Discipline)
The One Thing - Gary Keller (Improving your life and career)
Relentless - Tim S. Grover (Mentor/trainer to Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade)
Declutter your Mind - S.J. Scott (Worry/Anxiety/Negative thinking)
Flow, the Psychology of Optimal Experience - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Ive seen tony robbins on netfix, great show. Bit culty but still great.

Im defo gonna give principles a read. Just started a 36 hour Napoleon hillathon on audible.

I never really talk about my depression, but here goes. I've been off work for 3 weeks, I like my job but when I'm like this I cannot face the "performance" of being a normal human being. I'm a lecturer and I like my job. I've spent 35 years since I was 15 with this condition and although it comes in fits and spurts, I am very sick of it. Nothing seems to ever change. I have a psychiatrist appointment next week and I am holding out so much hope with that but these meetings haven't really helped in the past. Not sure why I'm I'm posting this and I'm not sure what I expect in response.

Hi mate, what help / treatment have you sought / received in the past ?

The only reason I ask is that things have moved on measurably since the bad old days of even a few years ago.

Anybody suffered anxiety in the past (and felt they had recovered, 2 years off meds etc) ever get hit by a huge wave of it that lasts a few days then dies down?? Happened to me a couple of times in last few months... maybe 48 hours of feeling as bad as ever then followed by a pretty calm 'what the hell was that all about' feeling??!

Anybody suffered anxiety in the past (and felt they had recovered, 2 years off meds etc) ever get hit by a huge wave of it that lasts a few days then dies down?? Happened to me a couple of times in last few months... maybe 48 hours of feeling as bad as ever then followed by a pretty calm 'what the hell was that all about' feeling??!

I am pretty stable these days but do have a few bad days here and there. I'm still on my meds though.

Anything changed recently, work, home life etc ?

My experience is different than your's, but maybe this info can help. Most of life, I had never experienced bad anxiety until a few years ago when I was under A LOT of stress. Then all of a sudden I was afraid to drive my car, afraid to leave the house. It would last a few days then stop. This happened on and off for a year.

I was on the verge of going to the Dr, but by chance I came across an article that said that vitamin/mineral deficiencies can trigger anxiety. When we are going through a lot of stress, our body can get depleted of nutrients very quickly.

Here is a list of the ones to look at:

Vit B complex, Vit C, Vit D, Vit E
Magnesium
Calcium
Iron

After I focused on eating foods that were high in these nutrients, my symptoms eventually stopped. I still have to pay attention to my eating because I still have stress.

My experience is different than your's, but maybe this info can help. Most of life, I had never experienced bad anxiety until a few years ago when I was under A LOT of stress. Then all of a sudden I was afraid to drive my car, afraid to leave the house. It would last a few days then stop. This happened on and off for a year.

I was on the verge of going to the Dr, but by chance I came across an article that said that vitamin/mineral deficiencies can trigger anxiety. When we are going through a lot of stress, our body can get depleted of nutrients very quickly.

Here is a list of the ones to look at:

Vit B complex, Vit C, Vit D, Vit E
Magnesium
Calcium
Iron

After I focused on eating foods that were high in these nutrients, my symptoms eventually stopped. I still have to pay attention to my eating because I still have stress.

Exercise is a brilliant one for keeping anxiety under control too.

Plus cutting out alcohol and caffeine too.

Thank u all so much for the replies. I'd forgotten what a help this forum can be
. I find putting down my inner most feelings to anonymous people on line so much easier than trying to articulate it to my wife/close friends. I find if u haven't suffered then its hard to realise just how devastating this can be.
Nothing changed majorly in life of late..its world events that tend to set me off on a."doomsday scenario' mindset if that makes sense to anyone. Vegas girl, thanks, I'll have a look, I am a gym addict with a decent diet but it's well worth looking as I tend to eat the same things so may be lacking in something
I honestly appreciate this forum. I've posted a lot in the past but, selfishly, when I'm feeling good I go through bouts of pretending I have never suffered and I avoid even reading about other people's problems. Bit of a wimps way out really.
Best of wishes to all those suffering anything mentally. Its horrible and I tell myself every day that it's not a sign of weakness. Sometimes the demons win though. Keep fighting the good fight

Thank u all so much for the replies. I'd forgotten what a help this forum can be
. I find putting down my inner most feelings to anonymous people on line so much easier than trying to articulate it to my wife/close friends. I find if u haven't suffered then its hard to realise just how devastating this can be.
Nothing changed majorly in life of late..its world events that tend to set me off on a."doomsday scenario' mindset if that makes sense to anyone. Vegas girl, thanks, I'll have a look, I am a gym addict with a decent diet but it's well worth looking as I tend to eat the same things so may be lacking in something
I honestly appreciate this forum. I've posted a lot in the past but, selfishly, when I'm feeling good I go through bouts of pretending I have never suffered and I avoid even reading about other people's problems. Bit of a wimps way out really.
Best of wishes to all those suffering anything mentally. Its horrible and I tell myself every day that it's not a sign of weakness. Sometimes the demons win though. Keep fighting the good fight

Nothing wrong with that.

If you've been in an ongoing fight with mental health issues then taking time out and concentrating on other things when you're in the mindset to do so is completely the right thing to do. Nothing wimpy or selfish about it whatsoever - especially not when you're feeling good, everyone's entitled to that.