Transfer Rumour Aaron Ramsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean Arsenal fans really don’t rate him and apart from the odd decent game he hasn’t really done anything spectacular for any length of time since about 2014.

He wouldn’t come to us and for the money he’d want there are younger and better players out there.

I don't see him having the ability to play as a straight up 10 so for me he really is a number 8 in practice although he does have more skill and passing ability than most

I agree, but in the sense that his best position isn't as an 8, or at least not in the way Silva would play, for example.

We've seen what an 8 in Silva's team is with Gomes. I think at Watford, his 8 was Doucoure - i.e. the ball-carrier.

Ramsey's best games come when he's playing in the 10 position, but he's got the skillset of an 8. I think that's the point I'm trying to make anyway!

I mean Arsenal fans really don’t rate him and apart from the odd decent game he hasn’t really done anything spectacular for any length of time since about 2014.

He wouldn’t come to us and for the money he’d want there are younger and better players out there.

They do.

He's a quality player.

If the club hadn't put loads towards Ozil's new deal there's no way they'd be been stingy.

If there's a chance of getting him, and IF he fits how Silva wants to play, we should be all over it. I'm not sure either of those things are the case, but I don't know why we as fans think we're above a player who'd be welcome at any of the other top six clubs (although I doubt Spurs would take him).

As I've said, I can ultimately see him at City, with Utd and Liverpool probably the other options. I'm not sure on Chelsea, as I don't know where he'd fit into Sarri's style, but it's not out of the realms of possibility.

They do.

He's a quality player.

If the club hadn't put loads towards Ozil's new deal there's no way they'd be been stingy.

If there's a chance of getting him, and IF he fits how Silva wants to play, we should be all over it. I'm not sure either of those things are the case, but I don't know why we as fans think we're above a player who'd be welcome at any of the other top six clubs (although I doubt Spurs would take him).

As I've said, I can ultimately see him at City, with Utd and Liverpool probably the other options. I'm not sure on Chelsea, as I don't know where he'd fit into Sarri's style, but it's not out of the realms of possibility.

He would probably get into Utd's first XI but he would be nowhere near City's. The RS style doesn't play to his strength really and when Wales have played that way he's not been great, apart from the Ireland match where we were crap.

Chelsea may sign to replace Fabregas but again not sure if be gets into that first XI. Would he go to Spurs?

Can see a move abroad

He would probably get into Utd's first XI but he would be nowhere near City's. The RS style doesn't play to his strength really and when Wales have played that way he's not been great, apart from the Ireland match where we were crap.

Chelsea may sign to replace Fabregas but again not sure if be gets into that first XI. Would he go to Spurs?

Can see a move abroad

But the top six don't operate on a 'first XI' basis. This is what I keep banging on about Evertonians having to get away from. It's not about a 'first XI' anymore, it's about a squad.

City hardly ever play exactly the same team. For example, if Mendy plays, Sane doesn't usually start, because they both struggle to play together. It doesn't mean that Sane isn't a quality player or wanted at the club.

If Ramsey went to City he'd get plenty of games because City play plenty of games. He also suits their style, as he does with the RS. You're right that he'd probably be able to demand a starting spot right now at United, but successful teams don't operate just with a first XI in mind.

Not sure on Chelsea. They have already signed Fabregas' replacement (Jorginho) and Ramsey isn't a similar style of player to either of them. Then again, if Fabregas leaves there will be a spot open that perhaps Kovacic would fill (if he stayed) - i.e. a rotation option with Jorginho, which would open up room for Ramsey in their squad as an alternative to Barkley.

As a football fan, I would like to see him move abroad (if not to Everton). It'd be good to see another British player test themselves in a different league in what really is the prime of his career (on a side note, it's hard to believe that Bale is well on his way to 30 already).

Can see a move abroad

Of course it is all opinions and everyone is entitled to call it how you see it, but I think you have massively undervalued him there. He saw of Wilshere and would do the same to Barkley. He does most things right and can get stuck in as well. Ramsey may not have the ultimate quality of a Sanchez type player, but he doesn't have the downsides either, he works hard for the team and won't go missing.

The injury did set him back and maybe he will never be what he could have been without it, but he is still a very, very decent footballer with a brain and has an important goal in him. (See the cup finals for instance - a lot of players can wilt under the pressure when a chance arises not mentioning names cough *Lukaku* cough)

I reckon a top team will go for him and he will fit in as an important cog to whoever he signs for.

..I know somebody at USM FF and he says it’s a totally different place these days to what it was. Many of the first team squad were very close with the staff but they are kept very much to themselves and rarely mix. The atmosphere is nowhere as good as it was in years gone by.

He reckons it’s down to logistics (the area were they park, change, train and eat is almost self-contained), also even the youngsters are staggeringly wealthy and just live in a different world. I suppose it’s a sign of the times.

Tbf, with turnover of squads as high as it is, this isn't really going to happen at many top clubs anymore. I mean look at our best XI, nine of them have been bought in the last year.

Players stay at clubs only a few years not on average so there isn't really a chance to build up that relationship. The only real exception being spurs on relative terms.

I hear you on the business front but I dont think that takes away a family feeling or more importantly a happy team atmosphere. Looking at some of the media coming out of FF in particular the unseen everton video blogs i get the feeling its a pretty happy tight knit group and getting better as the rotten eggs (not you @Eggs ) depart

I think we are arguing different points really mate. You are saying that Marco Silva is creating a good team spirit. I am full agreement with that. The post wasn't a dig at Silva. It was just to point out, if we can get sign both Ramsay and Gomes and would want to I think we will. I don't think we will be overly sentimental on such things anymore.

..I know somebody at USM FF and he says it’s a totally different place these days to what it was. Many of the first team squad were very close with the staff but they are kept very much to themselves and rarely mix. The atmosphere is nowhere as good as it was in years gone by.

He reckons it’s down to logistics (the area were they park, change, train and eat is almost self-contained), also even the youngsters are staggeringly wealthy and just live in a different world. I suppose it’s a sign of the times.

I think you are right. A part of this is the continued growth of wealth, even for young players now. Most of our younger lads in the first team, who could go either way will already be multi-millionaires.

I do think though a part of this is probably the absence of a Moyes figure bonding the team together and then keeping players over a period of time. We started signing players with the incentive of cash being quite central. I think that generally only leads to one thing.

We have to strive for a balance really. It was probably too cosy under Moyes but has been too anarchic since he has left. I am hopeful a new structure can get that balance right.

I think you are right. A part of this is the continued growth of wealth, even for young players now. Most of our younger lads in the first team, who could go either way will already be multi-millionaires.

I do think though a part of this is probably the absence of a Moyes figure bonding the team together and then keeping players over a period of time. We started signing players with the incentive of cash being quite central. I think that generally only leads to one thing.

We have to strive for a balance really. It was probably too cosy under Moyes but has been too anarchic since he has left. I am hopeful a new structure can get that balance right.

And @Eggs

I think over the course of the last few months, we're seeing quite a bit of pushback to get it back to that integration.

Probably not to the levels as it was under Moyes. Back then we had a small squad and the players were tight-knit.

But this season at least, there seems to be a lot less 'cliques'. All of the players seem quite happy to mix with both staff and the rest of the squad alike.

That definitely wasn't there under Koeman/Sam, but seems to be getting back now under Silva/Brands.

And @Eggs

I think over the course of the last few months, we're seeing quite a bit of pushback to get it back to that integration.

Probably not to the levels as it was under Moyes. Back then we had a small squad and the players were tight-knit.

But this season at least, there seems to be a lot less 'cliques'. All of the players seem quite happy to mix with both staff and the rest of the squad alike.

That definitely wasn't there under Koeman/Sam, but seems to be getting back now under Silva/Brands.

I see a lot of the young Moyes in Silva. He works very hard on the training ground, is generally quite positive and wants players who are willing to put work in with him.

Moyes went down a different trajectory post 2003/4, oddly one that made him a very good manager for cash strapped Everton but one he struggled to replicate elsewhere. I think the situation and the manager Silva will have many more options in terms of finance and will not go down that route.

I like that though and think it's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.