Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to keep a bit of perspective about fees. £26m really isn't 'nothing'. It's a fee that would be a transfer record for half the league, so it's a very substantial amount. Obviously the CL teams have taken spending to new levels with their £70/80m players, but the idea that £30m now is nothing is totally wrong. It might not get you world class but it should get you a very good level of player.
Maybe it should, but it’s getting harder even at that price. Also prem teams are being held to ransom.

Richarlison 5/6 goals last year has cost us 35/40 mil. Walcott 29 and a squad player for the top 6 and he cost 20.

2yrs ago we could have got Zaha fir the same price as Bolasie. And he would have still been considered a gamble. Now he’s not a gamble anymore, but would cost a minimum of 60mil.

We have had a number of biggish buys in the last couple of years that failed especially from abroad. Hopefully Brands can get better value for money, but if we won’t to break into the top 6/4 we will ultimately have to have a couple of 50mil buys in the team.

Maybe it should, but it’s getting harder even at that price. Also prem teams are being held to ransom.

Richarlison 5/6 goals last year has cost us 35/40 mil. Walcott 29 and a squad player for the top 6 and he cost 20.

2yrs ago we could have got Zaha fir the same price as Bolasie. And he would have still been considered a gamble. Now he’s not a gamble anymore, but would cost a minimum of 60mil.

We have had a number of biggish buys in the last couple of years that failed especially from abroad. Hopefully Brands can get better value for money, but if we won’t to break into the top 6/4 we will ultimately have to have a couple of 50mil buys in the team.
Not necessarily £50m buys, but £50m players.

For me the key to a good DoF or manager is the ability to consistently buy players who turn out to be worth more than you pay for them. We haven't done it enough in recent years, but it is possible. In theory, we could have signed Robertson, Van Dijk, Maguire, Wanyama, Alderweireld and Kante over the last 3-4 years. They're all players of the level you're talking about, but none of them cost anywhere £50m. The task for Brands and Silva is to find players in the £20/30m bracket who turn out to be £50/60m players. Hopefully Mina, Digne, Bernard and Richarlison are the start of that, with more to follow.

Morata would never come to a club like us. He will go to a top team abroad if he leaves.
He is still levels above what we have, he doesn’t suit Chelsea, like most the strikers they have spent big on over the years.

oh yeah, i doubt he would nor am i sure he would be right for us, just wanted to know GOT's general consensus.

I disagree, I think we can attract a top striker. The premier is a big pull and we can pay the wages.

Couple of names mentioned, Werner would he go to Bayern to sit on the bench? And would probably be on the bench for the top 6, maybe Chelsea is the one team lacking a bit at centre forward.

Or Gómez from Celta Vigo, would be on the bench for the big 3 in Spain. Don’t get me wrong it wouldn’t be easy to get these players, but not impossible imo.
The lad from Italy who scored loads, the year before last. Belloti? I’m sure he’s still at the same club.

Probably a few other strikers, that some on here could also add to them 3.
If Belotti and Gomez are the best we can do then I'd say that more or less proves my point. Gomez is young and looking to step up a level and Belotti at the moment is an average striker who had 1 really good season but is also still young. I would take either of those players but it isn't the same as Arsenal signing Aubameyang or United taking Rom from us.

For me the key to a good DoF or manager is the ability to consistently buy players who turn out to be worth more than you pay for them. We haven't done it enough in recent years, but it is possible. In theory, we could have signed Robertson, Van Dijk, Maguire, Wanyama, Alderweireld and Kante over the last 3-4 years. They're all players of the level you're talking about, but none of them cost anywhere £50m. The task for Brands and Silva is to find players in the £20/30m bracket who turn out to be £50/60m players. Hopefully Mina, Digne, Bernard and Richarlison are the start of that, with more to follow.
Everything is easy in hindsight, I could name a starting 11 costing under a 100mil that would probably walk a top 4 place.

And how do you know what silva & Brands remit is. I think if there is a player out there that Brands and silva desperately want, i don’t think his price will come into it

Everything is easy in hindsight, I could name a starting 11 costing under a 100mil that would probably walk a top 4 place.

And how do you know what silva & Brands remit is. I think if there is a player out there that Brands and silva desperately want, i don’t think his price will come into it
Well yeah, that's pretty much what I've just said mate. Obviously we can do it in hindsight, but wouldn't it be amazing if some of the people we pay huge amounts of money to could do it with foresight instead? Actually doing what they get paid for and finding value in the transfer market? I know it sounds crazy but honestly I reckon it's worth a try.

I obviously don't know what Brands and Silva's remit is specifically, but I would be surprised if it doesn't involve buying players who turn out to be worth more than we pay for them. It would be a novel strategy if we've asked them to solely identify players who we can sell at a loss, although nothing surprises me with Everton and we could always add it to our list of firsts I suppose.

Pickford, Mina, Digne, Bernard and Richarlison.

Lets see over the course of the season, but they may all be £50mil+ players...

If Belotti and Gomez are the best we can do then I'd say that more or less proves my point. Gomez is young and looking to step up a level and Belotti at the moment is an average striker who had 1 really good season but is also still young. I would take either of those players but it isn't the same as Arsenal signing Aubameyang or United taking Rom from us.

Belotti is Italys centre forward, has between a 1 in 2 and 1 in 3 strike rate for Torino who arent exactly a top side...at a top club hed be a goal machine...

Pickford, Mina, Digne, Bernard and Richarlison.

Lets see over the course of the season, but they may all be £50mil+ players...

Belotti is Italys centre forward, has between a 1 in 2 and 1 in 3 strike rate for Torino who arent exactly a top side...at a top club hed be a goal machine...
He's ok. Playing for Italy doesn't mean as much right now as it traditionally did. Like I said I'd be happy to sign him but I do have slight reservations especially considering the fee is going to be a lot so he will have some hype to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.