Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
would anyone take morata if chelsea wanted rid for say £35m-£40m? I know he's really struggled over here but he's played his whole career at highly demanding clubs, i think a risk like that would be worthwhile to us, i just don't think he's a silva player so we'd never be interested. But there are players out there, we mainly need to get a proper DM in though. Since Barry's left we've been way too easy to score against. We have a good keeper and the defence is getting better each game but there's still little change mainly because we don't have someone who anchors the back 4 and wants to take the ball off them. Maybe a box-to-box like doucoure could do that, but imo i think we require someone who properly just sits when we play the bigger games. I though schneiderlin used to do that at saints, but he's never done it here.

would anyone take morata if chelsea wanted rid for say £35m-£40m? I know he's really struggled over here but he's played his whole career at highly demanding clubs, i think a risk like that would be worthwhile to us, i just don't think he's a silva player so we'd never be interested. But there are players out there, we mainly need to get a proper DM in though. Since Barry's left we've been way too easy to score against. We have a good keeper and the defence is getting better each game but there's still little change mainly because we don't have someone who anchors the back 4 and wants to take the ball off them. Maybe a box-to-box like doucoure could do that, but imo i think we require someone who properly just sits when we play the bigger games. I though schneiderlin used to do that at saints, but he's never done it here.
That's exactly what Schneiderlin done in his first half season here, sadly he hasn't done it since.

No to Morata
I think he’s proved he is not suited to the PL
He gets loads of chances at Chelsea , a lot more than he could expect here and still can’t scire

No to Morata
I think he’s proved he is not suited to the PL
He gets loads of chances at Chelsea , a lot more than he could expect here and still can’t scire
What does Morata actually do? Like, what's he good at?
He's not really quick, doesn't appear that strong on the ball allowing others into play, he's not a fox in the box and he doens't have that Kane like ability to always hit the target. He's obivously a decent player and he may be very skilful but unless he's scoring goals whats the point? Rom may not be the most gifted footballer but he'll always score goals.

On your last point , I’m sure a few lads in Benfica spoke Portuguese
On a more serious note maybe the lad is not cut out for European football
Maybe he got homesick
Not every top class South American makes it in Europe
Maybe he is happier and more content in Brazil and that’s why he scores there

Hahahaha Excellent point which completely went over my head

I haven't said that. We definitely need a striker.

My point was that you said 'we need to spend big' like it guarantees we get the position sorted. We spent big on Tosun.

So no, I'd happily have us take a chance, because that's the position we're in as a club. But if it backfired, you'd be one the first to criticise.

Read my post instead of jumping to conclusions. I wasn't being critical, I agree that we need a forward. But just saying 'we need to spend big' doesn't really mean anything...
We didn’t really spend big on tosun, 26mil is nothing these days.
I think spending big is what we have to do. And if we buy someone for 60mil I would bet he has more chance of succeeding than buying someone for 25mil.

We have wasted 40mil on niasse & tosun. We either buy a 19yr and hope he turns into a superstar. Maybe we get the chance to get a player who’s say 31 on a free who was great in his day. And can see us through one season.

The goal posts have moved massively in the last 2 yrs. just look at some of the forwards that have been bought by the middle tier premier clubs. And some were linked with us. Troy Deeney Leicester getting quoted 30mil he gets 10 goals a season. Gabbidinni at Southampton, hardly scored in 12 months.
Watford payed 17mil for André Gray, I don’t think he even got 5 goals last season.
The Mexican on loan at Wolves, another forward linked to us for 30/40mil. Yes he looks a handful but I will be amazed if he got 15 goals this season.

The chance of finding that mid twenties experienced forward, in the 15 to 30mil Prince range, who will come in and rip it up is virtually impossible, I know what you’re are saying that nothing is guaranteed and who ever you buy is a gamble, but I believe you get what you pay for.

Werner and Gomez don't guarantee success.

Belotti is a cracking player but his release clause is £100m.

Again, all of these are realistic options but none of them are what I'd call 'top' strikers.

They're all in that second-tier which is reasonable for us to attract, but they wouldn't be a 100% guaranteed success.

Cant see Belotti going for more than £60mil tbh

Hed be ideal unless we go for someone with pace on the counter.

Batshuayi still isn’t getting much game time. Perhaps if we overpaid we could tempt Chelsea with that and promise him first team football. He’s not Lukaku but I think he’d still bag goals given a run of games.

Theres a reason he doesnt get games...

no because he isnt the right fit for this club.
you need someone with pace and who can finish
jaime vardy is getting old, still worth a punt in jan if the money is right. get a season and a half out of him gives, us 3 transfer windows to trim the squad and get a preferred starting 11.

On your last point , I’m sure a few lads in Benfica spoke Portuguese
On a more serious note maybe the lad is not cut out for European football
Maybe he got homesick
Not every top class South American makes it in Europe
Maybe he is happier and more content in Brazil and that’s why he scores there
You could argue that he'd have as good a chance at settling in on Merseyside than anywhere else outside of Brazil given their growing contingent here.

Cant see Belotti going for more than £60mil tbh

Hed be ideal unless we go for someone with pace on the counter.

Theres a reason he doesnt get games...

Belotti is superb, yeh. Bit of an off season last year but still bagged 15 and I think he's started the season well.

Has pace and power and like you Zat, I don't think it'd be much more than £60m in reality (that's still a hell of a lot!), but, he has got that release clause.

Morata would never come to a club like us. He will go to a top team abroad if he leaves.
He is still levels above what we have, he doesn’t suit Chelsea, like most the strikers they have spent big on over the years.

Morata would never come to a club like us. He will go to a top team abroad if he leaves.
He is still levels above what we have, he doesn’t suit Chelsea, like most the strikers they have spent big on over the years.

He isn't actually a prolific goalscorer and never has been.

He's a 10-15 goal per-season player, but his work can benefit others.

His best form came at Juve in a team built around Pogba, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.