Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batshuayi still isn’t getting much game time. Perhaps if we overpaid we could tempt Chelsea with that and promise him first team football. He’s not Lukaku but I think he’d still bag goals given a run of games.

Realisticly what would our options be for a top top centre forward in January?
Would we look for an already proven centre forward who we know would guarentee us goals
Or would we look for a young upcoming player with a very high ceiling like we have done with Lukaku & Richarlison?

Who is about/available?

Also, if it meant waiting till next summer for the right man, and sticking with Tosun,DCL & Niasse, would you be prepared to wait?

He's a player that thrives on space behind but when he doesn't have it is actually rather limited.

An excellent finisher but I think we need someone with physicality and pace up there, not one or the other.
Think this is why Richarlison is worth a punt at CF - on paper he has all of this.

I disagree, I think we can attract a top striker. The premier is a big pull and we can pay the wages.

Couple of names mentioned, Werner would he go to Bayern to sit on the bench? And would probably be on the bench for the top 6, maybe Chelsea is the one team lacking a bit at centre forward.

Or Gómez from Celta Vigo, would be on the bench for the big 3 in Spain. Don’t get me wrong it wouldn’t be easy to get these players, but not impossible imo.
The lad from Italy who scored loads, the year before last. Belloti? I’m sure he’s still at the same club.

Probably a few other strikers, that some on here could also add to them 3.

Admittedly i haven't seen a lot of him and i could just be stereotyping, but Gomez at Celta Vigo could smell of another Aspas or Sandro to me

Werner and Gomez don't guarantee success.

Belotti is a cracking player but his release clause is £100m.

Again, all of these are realistic options but none of them are what I'd call 'top' strikers.

They're all in that second-tier which is reasonable for us to attract, but they wouldn't be a 100% guaranteed success.
F*** it then, let’s just keeping playing tosun & DCL and have niasse in reserve and hope fir the best.

In all seriousness what do you want us to do, not take a chance on a Gómez or Werner. Because it’s plainly obvious, the strikers we have aren’t good enough.
And we won’t be splashing out big money on 32yr olds.

I wouldn’t say Firminho was top draw, or Lacazette, Abumamyang was, but is on the way down. Also Giiroud & morrata aren’t imo.

It’s also about having 5/6/7 2nd tier players in our team moving forward Richarlison falls into that bracket, maybe Bernard will. Say we buy Lozano and a top class centre midfielder. Then the whole team starts to improve and challenge the top 6.

Apart from Barkley, lukaku was surrounded by dross.

Strange but possible shout- Gabriel Barbosa?

Was highly rated a few years ago, him and Gabriel Jesus were both rated highly, maybe Barbosa a little higher.

Flopped after a big money move to inter and went to Benfica to only get 1 appearance.

Is back at Santos on loan but has a healthy 22 goals in 44 appearances for them since rejoining

With a heavy portugese speaking influence in our squad, could it be the right dynamic to finally crack europe?

F*** it then, let’s just keeping playing tosun & DCL and have niasse in reserve and hope fir the best.

In all seriousness what do you want us to do, not take a chance on a Gómez or Werner. Because it’s plainly obvious, the strikers we have aren’t good enough.
And we won’t be splashing out big money on 32yr olds.

I wouldn’t say Firminho was top draw, or Lacazette, Abumamyang was, but is on the way down. Also Giiroud & morrata aren’t imo.

It’s also about having 5/6/7 2nd tier players in our team moving forward Richarlison falls into that bracket, maybe Bernard will. Say we buy Lozano and a top class centre midfielder. Then the whole team starts to improve and challenge the top 6.

Apart from Barkley, lukaku was surrounded by dross.

I haven't said that. We definitely need a striker.

My point was that you said 'we need to spend big' like it guarantees we get the position sorted. We spent big on Tosun.

So no, I'd happily have us take a chance, because that's the position we're in as a club. But if it backfired, you'd be one the first to criticise.

Read my post instead of jumping to conclusions. I wasn't being critical, I agree that we need a forward. But just saying 'we need to spend big' doesn't really mean anything...

Admittedly i haven't seen a lot of him and i could just be stereotyping, but Gomez at Celta Vigo could smell of another Aspas or Sandro to me

He does look good but I think he's a poacher.

He also plays in a 4-4-2 with Aspas doing a lot of the legwork and playmaking side of it.

Was highly rated a few years ago, him and Gabriel Jesus were both rated highly, maybe Barbosa a little higher.

Flopped after a big money move to inter and went to Benfica to only get 1 appearance.

Is back at Santos on loan but has a healthy 22 goals in 44 appearances for them since rejoining

With a heavy portugese speaking influence in our squad, could it be the right dynamic to finally crack europe?
Be weird having Gabigol at Everton, though I wouldn't say no to more young Brazilians like.

No

We absolutely need to replace Niasse, but I still think most people are underrating Tosun significantly. The role he plays and the benefit he brings to the team when he's on the pitch (particularly to Richarlison and Walcott) is significant IMO

Why though?

Gylfi isn't a cm, I don't know why Baz seems to think it's the way to go.

Play Gyfli at CM and it takes away what he's good at.

tbf, it's how i'd line up against 3/4rs of the league at home. Teams like huddersfield who come here with no sense of adventure, i'd just cram all the attacking players on the pitch and say to them, you're not going to keep this team out for 90 minutes if you come here to park the bus.

On your last point , I’m sure a few lads in Benfica spoke Portuguese
On a more serious note maybe the lad is not cut out for European football
Maybe he got homesick
Not every top class South American makes it in Europe
Maybe he is happier and more content in Brazil and that’s why he scores there

Status
Not open for further replies.