Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are three ways, as far as I can see, that you can interpret the fact that many of the clubs Allardyce has left have fallen on difficult times.

1. It's a coincidence - the least likely, in my opinion.

2. That the clubs that have recruited Allardyce in recent times had major structural problems before, during and after Allardyce's tenure

3. That Allardyce's approach to squad building is only sustainable in the short-term and, if this is not recognised quickly by the new incumbent, then this may have a detrimental effect on the medium term performances of the club

Occam's razor would suggest that it can't be all Allardyce's doing but, equally, that he is a common factor in an ongoing trend and his contribution cannot be discounted. Therefore, in my view, a combination of points 2 and 3 seems to be the answer that relies on the least number of assumptions.

I thought this was interesting but I don't think Occam's razor can be applied here. Occam's razor is about identifying the most parsimonious explanation, relying on the smallest number of assumptions.

Point 1. It's a coincidence. (assumption 1)

Point 2: We know that these clubs were in trouble, and that they appointed Allardyce. They appointed him because they were in trouble (assumption 1 though it is odd to say it) with structural problems (assumption 2) which continued after he left (assumption 3).

Point 3: Involves additional assumptions about squad building (assumption 1) and whether the problem is recognised in time by the new manager (assumption 2).

You may well be right in practice but not because of Occam's razor. (And I still don't want Allardyce.)

Because he’s hardly going to come out and say
Well lads next seasons recruitment has got shag all to do with me because I’m getting binned after the West Ham game.
Oh anybody know where I can buy a second hand money counting machine

That’s not his style
I was questioning the other poster's opinion that he was talking about maintaining our position for this season.

In context, if he was talking about maintaining our position for this season he wouldn't have been talking about how recruitment would be an important part of achieving that because we can't exactly recruit anyone before the season's over.

D'ya get me?

Sadly yes mate.

I'm there doing a piece for an online article and after the stream cuts out he was having a laugh with us all about having had off the fan base and how he found it all quite amusing. He mentioned a couple of extra bits about injuries and players coming back and then carried on telling us all about our fan base probably being the most baffling and deluded he's seen in his time in football, shrugged his shoulders and off he went.

Bungle are you serious or are you taking little Sammy Lees urine

I was questioning the other poster's opinion that he was talking about maintaining our position for this season.

In context, if he was talking about maintaining our position for this season he wouldn't have been talking about how recruitment would be an important part of achieving that because we can't exactly recruit anyone before the season's over.

D'ya get me?
No I agree but as I said he knows he’s going but he can’t say so , all part of the severance package.
Well this is the mantra I repeat a thousand times a night as I nod off

Just a quick repost/quote of this forward as it puts Sam's 7/8th target for next season into perspective. He has never finished any higher than 10th in the premiership in the past 10 years (it is probably longer than that if we went back further) so to him, finishing 7th or 8th is ambitious and successful.

That is what we are up against. A Manager who has never won anything of note, wants to spend even more money to maintain the same and is totally incapable of taking Everton forward.

Just hope that fans let him know in full voice tomorrow that they are not a minority and will not accept mediocrity.

There's good reasons to not want him as our manager but when you judge his finishing positions in the Premier League without taking in to account the clubs and resources he's had at his disposal it's flawed logic.

You wouldn't write off an F1 driver as he's never won a world championship for Sauber. In the same way Pep would struggle to do well with our players.

No, I don't mean the decision makers . I mean fans who are happy with their lot, or are too apathetic to care.

As we are constantly told "it's a minority". The board would be dafter than I give them credit for, if the whole fan base turns.
I think it is wrong there is still so much uncertainty... and that is the fault of the board.

There are only two games left, we are in all probability already at our finishing position and in about ten days time we have to start trying to sign and sell players. It is well understood that the fans are unhappy and clarity should be provided.

I think that just possibly the lack of clarification may mean that Sam staying is not a done deal.
But, nothing that we are doing this season seems to make sense.

No problem mate, will try and get a link up to the article once it's finished and it'll have some more direct quotes in there. Don't want to give away all the juicy bits on here do I? hahaha
Good stuff
If you put a link up will you please start a new thread so people don’t miss it
You could call it one night in Lisbon.
This’ll catch a lot of lads attention lol

Just a quick repost/quote of this forward as it puts Sam's 7/8th target for next season into perspective. He has never finished any higher than 10th in the premiership in the past 10 years (it is probably longer than that if we went back further) so to him, finishing 7th or 8th is ambitious and successful.

That is what we are up against. A Manager who has never won anything of note, wants to spend even more money to maintain the same and is totally incapable of taking Everton forward.

Just hope that fans let him know in full voice tomorrow that they are not a minority and will not accept mediocrity.

Were has SA ever said his target next season is 7/8th?

Status
Not open for further replies.