Young EFC Players Out On Loan 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connolly, Williams etc. will never make it for Everton unfortunately.

As good as they might be they’re fighting for the most contested position in the squad so would have to be exceptional to leapfrog that many players.

As good as they might be they’re fighting for the most contested position in the squad so would have to be exceptional to leapfrog that many players.
Exceptional, what to get a game over schneiderlin. Gana, McCarthy and Davies. Look at Beni, for being so raw hardly looked any worse than them 4. Maybe didn’t look loads better, but looks to have very good potential.

I’m not saying play kids in midfield every week, but I would get rid of all the experienced midfielders in the squad, none of them are good enough.

Hopefully buy 2 new quality midfielders and have davies, beni and Connolly as back up. This is for another day and thread, but moving forward we need a quality footballing manger, who will be here for the long haul, that can build a good young team, over the next few years as we move towards the new stadium. And give these youngsters some game time.

..I think it’s a reasonable point, although i’d say the chances of them coming through at Everton are very slim for the reasons you say. The only point about Connolly is his versatility. It’s always useful to have somebody like him who can cover a number of positions.

The benchmark for me is whether we’d want these players if they weren’t on loan from us.

Didn’t you just get taken over?

Yeah but we’re still running as a self sustained business, spending only the money it generates, on the first team at least, they may be investment in the foundations of the club, academy, training facilities, football ground, and so on, but they’ll be no over spending on players. So we’re lead to believe.

For me the loans are doing their job this season, giving our youngsters experience at a good level and allowing us to differentiate between those we should retain and those we should let go. At this point, Williams, Dowell and Connolly are the stand outs, Robinson , and Browning doing well but possibly only well enough to earn them a new team, and Pennington appears to be in that category too; Galloway and Walsh haven't/didn’t work out, same with Conor Grant at Crewe who’s now back with us. Harry Charsley at Bolton is the next one we find out more about.

Callum Connolly remains my favourite of all our youngsters, though I can accept the reality that he and Williams may find it difficult to establish themselves in our squad. The other reality is that despite spending the best part of £200 mill in two transfer windows we are nowhere near being able to compete with the fabled Big Six. On just about every level, crowds, money , finance etc they are better than us - except one , the youngsters we have on our books. If these guys are showing their ability on loan they deserve the chance to prove themselves one way or another with us, otherwise we remain stuck in a cycle of paying £20 - £30 mill for players who are just older and more experienced but don’t help us to substantially improve.

Exceptional, what to get a game over schneiderlin. Gana, McCarthy and Davies. Look at Beni, for being so raw hardly looked any worse than them 4. Maybe didn’t look loads better, but looks to have very good potential.

I’m not saying play kids in midfield every week, but I would get rid of all the experienced midfielders in the squad, none of them are good enough.

Hopefully buy 2 new quality midfielders and have davies, beni and Connolly as back up. This is for another day and thread, but moving forward we need a quality footballing manger, who will be here for the long haul, that can build a good young team, over the next few years as we move towards the new stadium. And give these youngsters some game time.

I don’t want to sell them I can just only see it going one way. If Ledson and Walsh are allowed to go, so will those two.

Don't forget ledson had to leave too to get games and he was the most highly rated for a few years

And John Lundstram who is a regular starter for promotion chasing Sheffield United. I watched him against Wednesday on Friday and he looked really good. Not sure yet whether he's found his level or if he's got Prem ability, but nice to see him do well. He was very highly thought of here but a couple of bad loan spells hurt his chances with our first team.

For me the loans are doing their job this season, giving our youngsters experience at a good level and allowing us to differentiate between those we should retain and those we should let go. At this point, Williams, Dowell and Connolly are the stand outs, Robinson , and Browning doing well but possibly only well enough to earn them a new team, and Pennington appears to be in that category too; Galloway and Walsh haven't/didn’t work out, same with Conor Grant at Crewe who’s now back with us. Harry Charsley at Bolton is the next one we find out more about.

Callum Connolly remains my favourite of all our youngsters, though I can accept the reality that he and Williams may find it difficult to establish themselves in our squad. The other reality is that despite spending the best part of £200 mill in two transfer windows we are nowhere near being able to compete with the fabled Big Six. On just about every level, crowds, money , finance etc they are better than us - except one , the youngsters we have on our books. If these guys are showing their ability on loan they deserve the chance to prove themselves one way or another with us, otherwise we remain stuck in a cycle of paying £20 - £30 mill for players who are just older and more experienced but don’t help us to substantially improve.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. At least for me. If we're not going to be able to buy our way into the top 6, then what is the harm in establishing a club ethos of nurturing and bringing through a core spine of young players (mostly Scouse it has to be said), and then using our financial clout to fill in gaps? NOT the other way around.

When I think about a guy like Anthony Gordon coming through, I get very excited. He should be fast tracked. 23's until he's 18 and then straight out on loan or into the first team. No more messing about.

Listen, if we're not going to actually compete with City, United, and Chelsea, then we need to model ourselves on Spurs 5 years ago. I think there is value in a squad of local, homegrown players, augmented with quality imports here and there. If we're going to finish 7th-8th every year, I'd rather do it with a bunch of Scouse Blues in the team.

Sell Schneiderlin in the summer and let Connolly and Williams fight it out for his position, both have been playing well, work hard and put a tackle in, we wouldn’t miss him at all.

One way of building a team would be for Everton to build it round the talented youngsters they have then supplement that with signings that fill in the gaps for positions that we haven't developed anyone for. This takes time, patience and the right manager. It would have the advantage of concentrating our limited transfer funds where they are needed, and that the younger players already have a chemistry and know each other's games. We could also use money saved to pay players more to retain them. This means having an actual strategy, a recruitment system set up to achieve this and top quality coaching etc through the academy. Most importantly the right managers/coaches involved to develop the club in this way. Personally I think this is the way that we should be going. The were signs of this when Martinez came in but we've gone backwards since Moshiri took over and there is no sign of any cohesive strategy or long term vision. Therefore I see the current situation continuing with talented youngsters not given a chance and mediocre established players signed for big money. It's depressing.

One way of building a team would be for Everton to build it round the talented youngsters they have then supplement that with signings that fill in the gaps for positions that we haven't developed anyone for. This takes time, patience and the right manager. It would have the advantage of concentrating our limited transfer funds where they are needed, and that the younger players already have a chemistry and know each other's games. We could also use money saved to pay players more to retain them. This means having an actual strategy, a recruitment system set up to achieve this and top quality coaching etc through the academy. Most importantly the right managers/coaches involved to develop the club in this way. Personally I think this is the way that we should be going. The were signs of this when Martinez came in but we've gone backwards since Moshiri took over and there is no sign of any cohesive strategy or long term vision. Therefore I see the current situation continuing with talented youngsters not given a chance and mediocre established players signed for big money. It's depressing.

Can’t think of any team outside say Barcelona that does this.

Is that what's happening though? We've got Kenny, Holgate, Davies, Lookman and DCL getting regular game time, and Baningime on the fringes. How many young players do we think should be in the side really?

People love to say 'he couldn't do any worse' but the truth is they always can can't they? One of the players everyone loves to say is underperforming and should be dropped is Tom Davies - who in normal circumstances would be one of the lads we were saying should be getting a chance. DCL is also widely accepted as not being good enough yet, so why would some other 20 year old who the coaches don't rate as highly do any better? In the past it's been Hibbert, Osman, Anichebe etc who've got the brunt of fan frustration as 'it's an old boys network' and 'they wouldn't get a sniff if they weren't local lads'. It's all very well saying put a load of kids in and see how they do, until they reach 21 and people start to realise that they're not actually the world class performers they'd wanted them to be and we want them out and replacing with another 18 year old who 'can't be any worse'.

Status
Not open for further replies.