Young EFC Players Out On Loan 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to be fair we have no idea at this point. I don't think at 20 people would have tipped Jake Livermore, Jamie Vardy, and others to be starters for England. I do understand your point, although I would make a distinction between expecting someone to be a key member of your best 11 and being a squad player potentially. I do think local Blues are important to have in and around the team though. I think there is a value add that can't necessarily be defined in terms of pure numbers.
Fully agree. Some players develop later. A good youth development approach should also make room for such players.

Well to be fair we have no idea at this point. I don't think at 20 people would have tipped Jake Livermore, Jamie Vardy, and others to be starters for England. I do understand your point, although I would make a distinction between expecting someone to be a key member of your best 11 and being a squad player potentially. I do think local Blues are important to have in and around the team though. I think there is a value add that can't necessarily be defined in terms of pure numbers.
Sorry I don't think you're understanding my point.

I'm not writing him off or saying he won't get England caps, just saying that if he doesn't, I don't think he'll be good enough to even be a squad player for us. Your point was that even if he just turns out to be a bit of a plodder, there's no harm in using him in the squad, I'm saying I disagree entirely.

Sides that win trophies do not have a bench full of Championship level players just because they're local lads, they have squads full of quality. If we want to compete that's what we need to aim for. The key is to try and get local players who are quality, so there's no need to compromise. Hopefully, the reviews that Williams and Dowell are getting are an indication that they may have what it takes to make it at the top.

Sorry I don't think you're understanding my point.

I'm not writing him off or saying he won't get England caps, just saying that if he doesn't, I don't think he'll be good enough to even be a squad player for us. Your point was that even if he just turns out to be a bit of a plodder, there's no harm in using him in the squad, I'm saying I disagree entirely.

Sides that win trophies do not have a bench full of Championship level players just because they're local lads, they have squads full of quality. If we want to compete that's what we need to aim for. The key is to try and get local players who are quality, so there's no need to compromise. Hopefully, the reviews that Williams and Dowell are getting are an indication that they may have what it takes to make it at the top.

ah ok. Understood.

Looks like Walsh has played a full match for Birmingham today, coming on as a sub after 4 mins. They are getting bummed though.

Dowells good start at forest seems to have slowed down somewhat.

Joe Williams starting for Barnsley against Villa, on Sky too. I noticed that Onomah is on the bench for Villa, whom I presume is the Spurs/England u21 international, so should be an interesting comparison with Williams if they on the pitch together.

Hasn't really gone to plan for any of our summer recruits has it? :(

Tbh in the case of Onyekuru I think people set their expectations too high (low risk low fee gamble). I said it before in his personal topic, he still has to confirm now that he has to play against the bigger teams more often(and in arguably the biggest team). He spent a substantial part of last year playing in Play-off 2, aka known as where football goes to die (half are D1 clubs who want to play their youth players, the other half are D2 clubs). That's why I find the calls of people who want to recall Onyekuru quite absurd since he's even struggling at JPL level.

Ironically Harbaoui, RSCA Niasse, has scored.

Just watched Joe Williams playing for Barnsley , slow-forwarding through bits he's not involved in. He was playing a deep lying midfield role, and in the first half just about everything went to and through him , lots of short, neat passes , covered lots of ground , always making himself available and looking composed. On a few occaisions he was sticking his legs, body, and head in , in the way we know he does, and have to say I enjoyed his first half performance . It was almost the opposite of Dowell playing for Forest, constant involvement but none of the subtle killer passes that Dowell makes, few of Joe's passes opened up the defence but virtually all found his man albeit they were short and often sideways.
If I use the @Eggs criteria of " Would we buy him as a 20 year old Championship midfielder?" I would say probably not, the competition from the likes of Walsh, Davies and Dowell , let alone our so called seasoned midfielders would suggest a tough route to the first team. But this is a great chance this season for him to establish himself as a minimum of being a good Championship player. He was sound today in a team which was defensively inept and with few quality players , I'll await with interest the Barnsley's fans view of him , remembering the fume we generate after a 3-0 home defeat they may not be kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.