ROONEY

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't want Rooney for jibbing Everton off in the way he did and subsequent badge kissing then fair enough.

If you don't want Rooney as you think he's not good enough to walk into our team for a few years yet then you're more than a bit mental.

What about those who think that you could get a much better option for what he would cost?

He is nowhere near his peak for the divisiveness it would bring to our supporters either.

If you don't want Rooney for jibbing Everton off in the way he did and subsequent badge kissing then fair enough.

If you don't want Rooney as you think he's not good enough to walk into our team for a few years yet then you're more than a bit mental.
Which position would he play though? For the wages he is on you can 100% do better

Would only take him if it was at a sensible price and reasonable wages. He's definitely not the player he once was but there's no doubt he still has something to offer.

I keep hearing about how it would massively influence the clubs image and stature and perhaps it would, but I think we are well on the way to sorting that out without needing to get Rooney back. It's not a good enough reason on it's own.

Would only take him if it was at a sensible price and reasonable wages. He's definitely not the player he once was but there's no doubt he still has something to offer.

I keep hearing about how it would massively influence the clubs image and stature and perhaps it would, but I think we are well on the way to sorting that out without needing to get Rooney back. It's not a good enough reason on it's own.

If anything I think it would have the opposite effect.

What about those who think that you could get a much better option for what he would cost?

He is nowhere near his peak for the divisiveness it would bring to our supporters either.
Fair points.

Someone of Rooney's quality would cost ridiculous money and not be inclined to join Everton at the moment, in my opinion.

The divisiveness I'm not concerned about after seeing the reaction he got at Duncan's testimonial.

I personally wouldn't want him back...for the money it would cost there is a myriad of younger & hungrier players that we could approach!
...........However from a statement of intent/re-branding point of view i can see why a signing like this would gain a lot of attention & possibly help to attract other high profile players in the short term.

Taking him back shows no ambition ? I think you'll find the majority of the football world would think the opposite. Sure he's not the player he was a few years back but he's still a superstar and still probably Englands best player when on form. It would be a huge news story globally if he rejoined us and would 100% not make the world think we have no ambition.

and for many people it IS about being bitter and stubborn, because everytime we have one of these threads its full of people being bitter going on about how he disrespected us and all that other banal bs.
No it doesn't show ambition. Being in the position to bring him back when he was 27/28 years of age would of been boldly ambitious, we couldn't then and so that time has past.
It reinforces the view that 'bigger' clubs can take our players if we make Everton a retirement home when they're finished at the 'bigger' clubs.
Cracking player over the years, fantastic career, despite his transgressions off the field still seems a level headed decent fella, but that's it for me, big full stop.
He's not the future. He looked great against a completely demoralised Everton in the semi final and now apparently he's looked good against Russia's world class midfield and Wales galaticos!
A bright new future awaits full of hope, desire and excitement and some people want to step back 12 years or so and try to rewrite history.
He went, he had a great career, he's declining, move on.
There's a big world out there to explore but some people won't look beyond the end of their nose.
Not bitter just better.

If he didn't previously play for us, would you accept Everton buying a forward who is noticeably on the decline? At the moment he's playing in a withdrawn role for England, would he be found wanting if he played the same position in the Premier League? I think he would, so it's a no for me.
Thank you sir, simple, level headed objective observation on the question.
I'll make your sensible post the last one I read on this particular forum, for life is to short to squander time with mad men.

Status
Not open for further replies.