Your Memories Of Your Favourite Football Hardman `Bernie The Bolt Wright`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bradford City: My Memories of supporting the Bantams

On returning from Spain, in December 1976, my brother Chris asked me to join him and some friends to watch City play Workington, on a bitterly cold night just before Christmas. I actually enjoyed, not only the match, but the fact I was in the company of new friends who made me welcome into their company. I was hooked, and so I became a City fan.

I witnessed the joy of promotion of the 76/77 season, when we finished 4th. Stars of that side were the ageless Peter Downsborough in goals,Don Hutchins on the wing, big Bernie Wright with his 20 goals that season, and “ninety miles an hour” Terry Dolan. Then there was the sadness of relegation the following season. Would we ever get promoted again, we thought ?? The best was yet to come.

He was a character as you put it - the move was too big for him at his age - but I still maintain he used to be our worst ever signing as a no 9.....
I feel Tuson has taken that role over or even way back with Rod Bellfitt from Ipswich money paid plus with a great young player in David Johnson going the other way.......
Entertainment wise Bernie's kit never fitted him - the days of tight shorts etc it was a funny sight to see he did score 3 goals , but why we signed him is still a mystery to most blues fans -
I am grateful of your post as it give me a chuckle on our fans reaction to him - I am glad he is doing ok ;)
I'd add Brett Angel to your list Joey. In fact, I'll say it out loud: Brett Angell was worse than Big Bernie!

apl.jpg

this is the famous A.P.Ltd donkey jackets as worn on signing day !

Anyway while theres 2 or 3 ov ya ,, quick asses of the season so far ,,, im happy with the everton lads at the mo .. how about you lot ??

hes ok m8
60 miles a week training , loads of rugby and horses to watch
grandkids to teach chess etc
5 holidays a year

Reactions: kev

Status
Not open for further replies.