Your Memories Of Your Favourite Football Hardman `Bernie The Bolt Wright`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, one thing I've always wanted to know is who exactly signed Bernie for Everton?

Catterick had a heart attack in early January '72 and by the time we played Walsall he was at home recuperating, so wouldn't have seen the game. Tommy Casey was running the 1st team in his absence but I doubt he would have had the authority to sign anyone. Chief scout Harry Cooke seems the likeliest candidate - I think he'd watched Walsall in preparation for the cup-tie and Bernie must have caught his eye then, as well as in the game against us.

Catterick only began to resume his duties towards the end of the season as I vaguely remember him being there when we signed John Connolly but I don't think he returned to work full time until the following pre-season when, no doubt, he would have had a good view of Bernie through his office window.
Too true I seen the full highlights of the Cup tie on here Bernie was less trouble than the other Forward ex striker from Tranmere Rovers in that game - what was the Catt thinking of?

after the cup win walsall vs man.utd 1975

mmmn.jpeg

Well he did wear the shirt of Everton, and scored two goals for us.Which i'd wager is more than what you've achieved in life.If you ain't got anything nice to say, then say nothing.;)
Any blue would give anything to play for EFC - Standing in the tunnel on the ground tour many years ago - the Z car music played as you walked out holding the tears back of my memories of my late family who adorned the then terraces - to actually be chosen to play must have been so special.......

Comments​

Do you have any interesting, happy, or humorous memories of Bernie?
If so, please let us know and we will be happy to share them with the world!

Wright, Bernie hi bernie wright is fine he is still a very fit man clocking up over 50 miles a week in cycling and power walking , he goes on many holidays every year and enjoys travel.
he still loves horse racing and rugby but doesnt watch modern football - he thinks its gone soft.
he enjoys a light flutter on the horses but never wins much lol.
for those that dont know he went on to become a referee for 20 odd years and was always invited to do matches for pro club , finals and so forth.he was actually very highly rated and had the respect of all the player for the way he refed the games.
he is not one for re-unions and things choosing to keep himself to himself
and for those that remember him back in the day he likes a light drink these days and not many fights.
07-09-20 chris wright

Wright, Bernie I had a trial at walsall f.c. with bernie, he was huge compared to everyone else there.They signed him, and then he went to everton In the trial he just brushed people aside, I will never forget it. I unfortunately never got looked at, oh well no regrets. Would love to know where he is now.

Comments​

Do you have any interesting, happy, or humorous memories of Bernie?
If so, please let us know and we will be happy to share them with the world!

Wright, Bernie hi bernie wright is fine he is still a very fit man clocking up over 50 miles a week in cycling and power walking , he goes on many holidays every year and enjoys travel.
he still loves horse racing and rugby but doesnt watch modern football - he thinks its gone soft.
he enjoys a light flutter on the horses but never wins much lol.
for those that dont know he went on to become a referee for 20 odd years and was always invited to do matches for pro club , finals and so forth.he was actually very highly rated and had the respect of all the player for the way he refed the games.
he is not one for re-unions and things choosing to keep himself to himself
and for those that remember him back in the day he likes a light drink these days and not many fights.
07-09-20 chris wright

Wright, Bernie I had a trial at walsall f.c. with bernie, he was huge compared to everyone else there.They signed him, and then he went to everton In the trial he just brushed people aside, I will never forget it. I unfortunately never got looked at, oh well no regrets. Would love to know where he is now.
He was a character as you put it - the move was too big for him at his age - but I still maintain he used to be our worst ever signing as a no 9.....
I feel Tuson has taken that role over or even way back with Rod Bellfitt from Ipswich money paid plus with a great young player in David Johnson going the other way.......
Entertainment wise Bernie's kit never fitted him - the days of tight shorts etc it was a funny sight to see he did score 3 goals , but why we signed him is still a mystery to most blues fans -
I am grateful of your post as it give me a chuckle on our fans reaction to him - I am glad he is doing ok ;)

Walsall v Manchester United 7 January 1975 – What a night!

Posted on January 5, 2018by kevinjones21
img_3638.jpg
On the eve of FA cup third round day I just wanted to share with you my little poem about the greatest memory I have about the FA cup. This was when little Walsall took on mighty Manchester United on the 7th January 1975. United were in league two at the time (Championship) but were playing well and went on to be promoted back to the first division at the end of the season. Walsall were in the old third division (league 1).

REPORT THIS AD

United were managed by the colourful Tommy Docherty whilst Walsall were under the stewardship of Dougie Fraser. On the previous Saturday, in front of 43,353 fans, Walsall held out for a draw. The replay, at Fellows Park, attracted 18,105 fans. here is my recollection of the day and the following rounds.
Walsall v Manchester United 7 January 1975 – What a night!
After holding the mighty reds to a draw,
the teams met the next Tuesday to settle the score.
With brother Gary I was off to the show,
Dad and I queued on the middle Sunday for tickets to go.
Two tickets we got for the Tuesday big match,
for our dad, Derek, it was a game he couldn’t catch.
For a night of car maintenance he was booked to teach,
but the match was so big the car class was beached.
So whilst Gary and I excitedly waited,
Derek queued for a ticket and eventually gated.
With others than us he watched the big match,
hoping against hope for an upset to catch.
United although a league two team,
had many stars that were beginning to beam.
Macari, Buchan, McIlroy all big names,
for Dougie Fraser’s side a monumental game.
Walsall, against the odds, took a 21st minute lead,
Bernie Wright smashed in the ball with ferocious speed.
United were good though and soon back in the game,
with McIlroy’s pen the scores were the same.
During a tense second half the Saddlers held firm,
extra time was looming – more lessons to learn.
Docherty’s were favourites when extra time started,
but the super Saddlers were far from departed.
As extra time started “Buck” was too good,
from the penalty spot he scored from the mud.
United pressed on but the defence held tight,
whilst up front old George Andrews leapt to great heights.

REPORT THIS AD

And then to the joy of the 18K fans,
Buckley swivelled and delighted the stands.
The crowd went wild as the ball hit the net,
no better feeling would Walsall fans get.
The story, however, does not end here,
this season, for many, the best of their career.
Newcastle United were next to Fellows Park,
a Saturday match not a game in the dark.
The “Toon” was full of super stars,
but not like today with big flash cars.
Newcastle, with Super Mac, often scored for fun,
could Walsall be a match for this goal scoring gun?
The pitch was heavy and evened things up,
so often a leveler when up for the cup.
Mighty George Andrews scored for the boys;
the Newcastle team could only throw out their toys.
So into the fifth round with a match in Small Heath,
could Walsall again show their FA cup teeth?
Sadly this was a win that the Saddlers could not catch,
44,000 fans watching this local match.
But that night versus United was the greatest night,
to see little Walsall put up a great fight.
United would go on right back to the top,
for every Saddlers fan the dream never stops.
So whatever your club during cup round three,
go to the game and support with great glee.
The FA cup is special and will again be alive,
buoyed by great memories like mine from 1975.

870-bernie-wright
28AUGUST2017

A collection of Port Vale hard men from yesteryear

Bernie Wright​

The bearded forward already had a fearsome reputation before joining Vale. He had been sacked by Everton for a training ground punch-up. Earlier in his career he somehow managed to head the foot of an opponent and break their toe. Bruised and unbowed Bernie played on. He joined Vale in the late seventies and a hat-trick against Crewe (current team take note) endeared him to the Vale crowd and he rapidly became a cult hero as much for his intimidating presence as for his goalscoring prowess.

870-bernie-wright
28AUGUST2017

A collection of Port Vale hard men from yesteryear

Bernie Wright​

The bearded forward already had a fearsome reputation before joining Vale. He had been sacked by Everton for a training ground punch-up. Earlier in his career he somehow managed to head the foot of an opponent and break their toe. Bruised and unbowed Bernie played on. He joined Vale in the late seventies and a hat-trick against Crewe (current team take note) endeared him to the Vale crowd and he rapidly became a cult hero as much for his intimidating presence as for his goalscoring prowess.

1978–79 Port Vale F.C. season​

The 1978–79 season was Port Vale's 67th season of football in the Football League, and their first season (seventh overall) back in the Fourth Division following their relegation from the Third Division.[1] Bernie Wright was highly impressive with his fifteen goals, though the rest of the team limped to a sixteenth-place finish, and exited both cup competitions at the first stage. This occurred with unrest in the boardroom behind the scenes, unrest amongst fans on the terraces, and annoyance from Butler towards the fans for their abuse of his players. Butler broke club transfer-records in both signing players and selling them.
They finished in sixteenth place with 42 points, with an awful defensive record of seventy goals conceded.[1] Despite this their scoring tally away from Burslem was the highest in the Football League, and they were given £2,125 as a reward.[1] Player of the Year Bernie Wright secured fifteen goals in what was a poor season for the club.[1]

DateOpponentVenueResultAttendanceScorers
19 August 1978Scunthorpe UnitedH2–23,027Wright, Bromage
22 August 1978WimbledonA0–12,638
25 August 1978Crewe AlexandraA5–14,413Wright (3), Bloor, Beamish
2 September 1978RochdaleH1–13,222Beamish
9 September 1978AldershotH1–13,045Beamish
12 September 1978Doncaster RoversA3–13,405Bromage, Todd, Beamish
16 September 1978PortsmouthA0–29,937
23 September 1978BournemouthH1–23,140Griffiths (pen)
26 September 1978Northampton TownH2–23,245N.Chamberlain (2)
30 September 1978Hereford UnitedA0–13,963
7 October 1978Grimsby TownH1–13,433N.Chamberlain
14 October 1978Halifax TownA3–01,591Wright (2), Tully
18 October 1978Bradford CityA3–24,136Sutcliffe, Wright, Healy
21 October 1978Torquay UnitedH1–24,108Todd
28 October 1978DarlingtonA0–41,793
4 November 1978Hartlepool UnitedH2–03,195N.Chamberlain, Beech
11 November 1978RochdaleA1–01,882Keenan
18 November 1978Crewe AlexandraH2–24,607Farrell (pen), Healy
9 December 1978Stockport CountyH2–13,689Wright, Farrell (pen)
26 December 1978BarnsleyA2–610,532Todd, Keenan
30 December 1978Newport CountyA0–14,075
1 January 1979Huddersfield TownH1–04,021Wright
9 January 1979Wigan AthleticH2–13,746Wright, Todd
13 January 1979AldershotA1–13,708Sinclair
16 January 1979Doncaster RoversH1–33,381o.g.
6 February 1979BournemouthA1–33,416o.g.
24 February 1979Halifax TownH0–13,117
3 March 1979Torquay UnitedA2–21,711Todd, Wright
10 March 1979DarlingtonH2–12,566Hawkins, Beech
13 March 1979Northampton TownA0–11,572
21 March 1979PortsmouthH0–02,738
24 March 1979WimbledonH1–02,906Beech
27 March 1979Scunthorpe UnitedA0–21,580
31 March 1979ReadingA0–06,704
3 April 1979Grimsby TownA0–18,072
7 April 1979York CityH0–02,712
13 April 1979Wigan AthleticA3–58,452Todd (2), Wright