Your Memories Of Your Favourite Football Hardman `Bernie The Bolt Wright`

Status
Not open for further replies.
b1.jpg
b2.jpg

I would have been at all or most of those games :)

I very rarely missed in the 70s, before marriage and kids intervened :)

This is the best thread ever.

Bernie Wright’s name has endured down the Everton decades.

To achieve cult status on the back of a mere ten appearances is testament to that fact.

Bernie, if you get to read this post please know this thread, which I just discovered tonight, has brought a smile to my arl face.

Vying for a place in the team with George Telfer and Rod Belfitt among others,

Little Joe Harper as well.

Thanks for starting it, cw ;)
i will show dad your post mate .,, he will smile x

Chris, one thing I've always wanted to know is who exactly signed Bernie for Everton?

Catterick had a heart attack in early January '72 and by the time we played Walsall he was at home recuperating, so wouldn't have seen the game. Tommy Casey was running the 1st team in his absence but I doubt he would have had the authority to sign anyone. Chief scout Harry Cooke seems the likeliest candidate - I think he'd watched Walsall in preparation for the cup-tie and Bernie must have caught his eye then, as well as in the game against us.

Catterick only began to resume his duties towards the end of the season as I vaguely remember him being there when we signed John Connolly but I don't think he returned to work full time until the following pre-season when, no doubt, he would have had a good view of Bernie through his office window.

I always likened him to Garth out of the Daily Mirror comic strip cartoon.
His barrel chest and gleaming white muscle bound thighs with his shorts pulled up.
1605018635608.png

Chris, one thing I've always wanted to know is who exactly signed Bernie for Everton?

Catterick had a heart attack in early January '72 and by the time we played Walsall he was at home recuperating, so wouldn't have seen the game. Tommy Casey was running the 1st team in his absence but I doubt he would have had the authority to sign anyone. Chief scout Harry Cooke seems the likeliest candidate - I think he'd watched Walsall in preparation for the cup-tie and Bernie must have caught his eye then, as well as in the game against us.

Catterick only began to resume his duties towards the end of the season as I vaguely remember him being there when we signed John Connolly but I don't think he returned to work full time until the following pre-season when, no doubt, he would have had a good view of Bernie through his office window.
it was cooke he had permission

Memories of big,bad Bernie and that Everton kit, the first change in our kit in about ten years,what a contrast to today!!I got that shirt as a birthday pressie,my dad got it from Jack Sharp's in town,can you believe they were the only stockists? wasn't even available from the club!!!however although they had the shirt it came packaged in the box but without the EFC italics!!!.......enter my dear old nan,a sewing wizard,hence I was the only kid around in our school with the proper Everton top!!!all the best and regards to Bernie the Bolt :)

A good view he could not miss him as his kit hardly fitted him lol

Status
Not open for further replies.