Your Memories Of Your Favourite Football Hardman `Bernie The Bolt Wright`

Status
Not open for further replies.
screenshot.png

CULT HERO 31: BERNIE WRIGHT

PORT VALE CULT HERO`S NO.31

Rob Cult heroes Bernie Wright,

Sometimes, when you have to pick a cult hero, it really helps to choose one that fits the stereotypes. And Bernie ‘hairy and scary’ Wright certainly ticks most of the boxes.
As a fans’ favourite who was at the club for a brief and memorable spell – Wright’s career mirrors that of previous cult nominees Brett Angell and Bob Newton and like that pair, Bernie was an uncomplicated striker of the old, big and brash, school. Usually accompanied with a full beard and a wild mane of hair, Wright terrorised opposition defences at Vale Park for two years in the late 1970’s.
An incident early in his career epitomised the hirstute’s Wright’s reputation as a fearsome, hardman striker. Playing for Everton, Wright put in a diving header only to collide with a defender. Wright got up, brushed himself off and played on. The defender, on the other hand, suffered a broken toe.
Wright left Everton and became a favourite at Vale’s hated rivals Walsall after scoring 38 goals during his four years at Fellows Park.
He joined Vale for a £9,000 fee in 1978 and after scoring his on his debut, he rapidly became a firm terrace favourite. He then further cemented his reputation with a hat-trick against local rivals Crewe as he finished the season as the club’s Player of the Year and top scorer.
He started the next campaign in a similar goalscoring vein, but after falling out with new manager John McGrath, he left the club at the end of his second season.
Wright subsequently drifted into non-league playing for Kidderminster Harriers, Trowbridge Town, Cheltenham Town, Worcester City and Gloucester City. After retiring from playing he worked as a forklift operator before one final bizarre switch. The fearsome Wright promptly switched sides and became a part-time referee in the Warwickshire Sunday Leagues!
We don’t think many players would have argued with him!

Royal Blue - Links between Everton and Cheltenham have been few

LINKS between Cheltenham and Everton aren’t numerous – but the Gloucestershire and Mersey clubs have shared three centre-forwards ...

LINKS between Cheltenham and Everton aren’t numerous – but the Gloucestershire and Mersey clubs have shared three centre-forwards ... of vastly contrasting quality.
Brett Angell managed one goal in his 18 Everton appearances, failed to score in 10 Sunderland appearances and was similarly unsuccessful in front of goal for Queens Park Rangers.

But in the lower leagues he was prolific – and nowhere more so than at Whaddon Road.

Angell burst onto the scene in 1987-88 with 24 goals in 37 appearances for Cheltenham – a flurry which earned him a move to Stockport County where he made his name as a reliable marksman.

Bernie Wright took the opposite path to Cheltenham.
After a league career which embraced Walsall, Port Vale, Bradford City – and a short-lived but memorable spell at Everton in the 1970s – Bernie The Bolt wound his career down in non-League football, including a spell at Whaddon Road.

While Angell and Wright feature only on Everton lists of infamy, Andy Gray is a 24 carat Goodison legend.
And he took his last steps in competitive football for Cheltenham Town in 1990, after leaving Glasgow Rangers.
Predictably he scored, seven times in 20 appearances for the then Conference club.

chesterchroniclesport
Follow @CheshireLive
MORE ON

Remember the Zulus making merry in a game at Blackpool back in 89 think it was. Watched a load of them wheeling a couple of poker machine out of the Dutton Arms on the south prom and across the tram tracks and onto the beach. A day of mayhem still talked about to this day.
Sorry @TangerineToffee, I read this the other day and laughed so much at the description "Zulus", I forgot to leave a like. So, in retrospect, a 'like' has been recorded. Take care Bud,

I was only a kid when he played for us , but he was a bit of a hero of mine at the time, never stopped trying gave a 100%.
One game i think it was Norwich he came on as a sub and managed to deck two of there players before he had even touched the ball , one a tackle that left the player in a heap, the other an off the ball incident , all in about 2 minutes of coming on.
I thought you will do for me spent the rest of the game following his movements around the pitch rather than the game.

I was only a kid when he played for us , but he was a bit of a hero of mine at the time, never stopped trying gave a 100%.
One game i think it was Norwich he came on as a sub and managed to deck two of there players before he had even touched the ball , one a tackle that left the player in a heap, the other an off the ball incident , all in about 2 minutes of coming on.
I thought you will do for me spent the rest of the game following his movements around the pitch rather than the game.
he will smile at that - love the little stories i do , class , got the yorath , norman hunter , tommy smith , on here somewhere.
Im a bit torn between he should have worked harder to do well or he was young and wild and messed it up - tough one.
Easy for me to say id have worked hard and not messed about , but then i never made it , and i did not play good quality non league football untill i was 22

Ha ha yeah a pretty unruly mob and they certainly enjoy themselves on their days out. If that's at Blyth then there would have been some locals up for a ruck. Blackpool were at an FA Cup match in the north east decades ago playing Horden Colliery Welfare a non league team but their fans were strictly top div. Game was at Hartlepool's ground and they teamed up with the loony miners from Horden and some Boro and Sunderland lads and the Seasiders took a pasting off the pitch. Pool scraped home 1-0 which didn't help matters

Ha ha yeah a pretty unruly mob and they certainly enjoy themselves on their days out. If that's at Blyth then there would have been some locals up for a ruck. Blackpool were at an FA Cup match in the north east decades ago playing Horden Colliery Welfare a non league team but their fans were strictly top div. Game was at Hartlepool's ground and they teamed up with the loony miners from Horden and some Boro and Sunderland lads and the Seasiders took a pasting off the pitch. Pool scraped home 1-0 which didn't help matters

mind you youve had some good players in the past , and youve had some recent good success which was good for the fans and football , enjoyed blackpool in the prem was good times . bet the fans had some good times 2010 i think

Status
Not open for further replies.