Your Memories Of Your Favourite Football Hardman `Bernie The Bolt Wright`

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think their careers overlapped but I would have enjoyed watching a defence trying to cope with a forward line containing Bernie Wright and Johnny Morrissey. Two genuinely hard guys!

@cwright75 My dad remembers Bernie. He seems to believe that your dad was a shot putter (champion)? and also he was a big Rugby union player? My arl fella reckons he played football like he was playing rugby.
dad played for england schools in rugby union - and his british schools shot put record to our knowledge still stands to this day set in 1968 - your dad has some knowledge thier mate !

totally agree with you and it ashame , tackling is the skill thats been lost in the modern era
Good Afternoon young man. I remember your Dad quite vividly. A bit scary he was too.
I slightly disagree about the art of tackling being lost. There are too many cheats ( see lfc team sheets from 1958 onwards for a start) who fall, flop, whinge, dive, feign injury etc, etc This culture was given free licence to commit these acts when FIFA instructed that yellow cards would cease to be issued to these cheats, during the World Cup in 2006.
From then on, free rein was given, meaning that the art of tackling still remains, but the inept officials cannot discern when a good tackle is made.They instead choose to award the free kick to the player who yells louder, or falls on the floor clutching face/shin/bank statement. The recent case being when the arrogant git Mike Dean carded Digne, for winning the ball during the recent derby.
It is now licence for useless/corrupt officials to further favour their 'darling' teams to cheat with impunity, without re-dress.

Good Afternoon young man. I remember your Dad quite vividly. A bit scary he was too.
I slightly disagree about the art of tackling being lost. There are too many cheats ( see lfc team sheets from 1958 onwards for a start) who fall, flop, whinge, dive, feign injury etc, etc This culture was given free licence to commit these acts when FIFA instructed that yellow cards would cease to be issued to these cheats, during the World Cup in 2006.
From then on, free rein was given, meaning that the art of tackling still remains, but the inept officials cannot discern when a good tackle is made.They instead choose to award the free kick to the player who yells louder, or falls on the floor clutching face/shin/bank statement. The recent case being when the arrogant git Mike Dean carded Digne, for winning the ball during the recent derby.
It is now licence for useless/corrupt officials to further favour their 'darling' teams to cheat with impunity, without re-dress.
always good to have diff opinions - esp good articulate 1`s like yours , thank you for dropping by

another from walsall :

Bizarre Walsall matches
All about Walsall
Feb '19 - ...er a testimonial match in 70s , against Leeds. Think it was for Nick Atthey. Leeds had a european cup final coming up shortly. Not that that bothered Bernie Wright ,who, early on clattered Terry Yorath. Yorath walked off, making “psycho” gestures , and tapping the side of his head, towards Lord Bernard Wright. If so my abiding memory was of Bernie Wright flattening Terry Yorath and Yorath being subbed before he was sent off. Mind you, looking for retribution on Bernie wouldn’t have been the wised move , like personal on pitch suicide
So true. What Bernie did, was to not only take care of himself, he would also take care of his team mates.
He was like a mobile abattoir at times. Clattered those who offended.

Photos of Bernie the Bolt it was bad enough watching him play for us :D

This is a bizzare but entertaining thread I would say. Think Pool would take Bernie even now, warts, age and all. For sure. Wages wouldn't be great but those Pokies are still on the beach unopened or so I am told lol

This is a bizzare but entertaining thread I would say. Think Pool would take Bernie even now, warts, age and all. For sure. Wages wouldn't be great but those Pokies are still on the beach unopened or so I am told lol
w12.jpg
b11.jpg
b9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.