Young EFC Players Out on Loan 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dowell put a shift in without doing too much. Tidy passing and a calm head for a young kid apart from the pen he gave away.

I like the way cocu set up and is going to play, once Dowell gets used to his team mates he could do well there, can just tell he’s not on the same wave length as some of them yet.

Dowell put a shift in without doing too much. Tidy passing and a calm head for a young kid apart from the pen he gave away.

I like the way cocu set up and is going to play, once Dowell gets used to his team mates he could do well there, can just tell he’s not on the same wave length as some of them yet.

I think he’ll have a good season but they need to give him the ball more too, he hardly ever gives the ball away and his control is excellent.
The fact that Cocu came in and got him as his first signing shows someone rates him highly.
There was a few occasions they could have passed to him and he would have had a free shot at goal but they either got too greedy or picked the wrong option.

I need to watch the last 40 mins but the previous bits I saw of Dowell he seemed not to be in the game as much as someone with his skill should be. I note the comment “they need to give him the ball more” but sometimes he doesn’t help himself by getting in the right position early enough. It’s promising that he was kept on until the88th minute, in the past in tight games he’s been taken off for a more defensive player. It also looked like they are playing him in a central position, that’s where he hit his purple patch at Forest 2 seasons ago. So a good start for him.

I think he’ll have a good season but they need to give him the ball more too, he hardly ever gives the ball away and his control is excellent.
The fact that Cocu came in and got him as his first signing shows someone rates him highly.
There was a few occasions they could have passed to him and he would have had a free shot at goal but they either got too greedy or picked the wrong option.
imagine if rooney comes in and takes his place and dowell doesnt make another appearance again ....

Watched the game. Gave a stupid penalty away. Was subbed with about 8 minutes left. Very little impact on the game.

Remember speaking to Forest fans who said exactly the same thing when he was first there. Took them a good dozen or so games to work out what he was going to do before it all clicked for him. Thought he put more of a shift in defensively than he normally does last night despite playing quite high up the pitch.

Championship
Derby County - Kieran Dowell started and was substituted in the 86th minute of the 2-1 away win over Huddersfield Town

OS Match Report
"The home side pulled one back on the half hour mark from the penalty spot after Juninho Bacuna was brought down by Kieran Dowell. Karlan Grant converted from the spot kick.
Grabara denied the Rams from extending their lead in extra time before the break. After winning the ball back in the middle of the park, Dowell floated the ball down to Florian Jozefzoon who crossed to Waghorn, but his effort drew a good save from Huddersfield’s stopper."

Fan comments
"Dowell 6- Some neat play, but naive for the pen at at other times in the match with his decisions. Needs to be stronger."
"Also felt Dowell played well, his penalty challenge aside - looks a class act & a more dominant midfield (with Bielik and/or Shinnie) could free him to cause some real damage."
"Dowell was exciting first half but a couple of situations 2nd half when we were digging in made me think he needs to get a bit more of that fighting championship mentality in him"
"Dowell - 6 - He was decent enough, although the foul for the penalty wasn't his brightest moment. He clearly has a decent amount of ability. He did work hard. I would say he needs to have a run of games to find his rhythem."
"Dowell - ok ish soft penalty"
"Dowell was a bit stupid for the pen, but had a decent all round game"

I note the comment “they need to give him the ball more” but sometimes he doesn’t help himself by getting in the right position early enough. It’s promising that he was kept on until the88th minute, in the past in tight games he’s been taken off for a more defensive player. It also looked like they are playing him in a central position, that’s where he hit his purple patch at Forest 2 seasons ago. So a good start for him.
Now for a personal view...

We were probably all watching Dowell more than Derby and the one thing that struck me was how much trotting around he does. Trotting back when they are on the break and getting there two metres behind some of their attackers, trotting forward and getting there just too late for the ball into the box, shuffling around in midfield to where he is not quite the obvious pass to get things going.

Obviously it was his first game and he has a lot more skills in his locker than he showed last night. But, if I were Cocu, I could do far worse than show him the match tape of Lawrence and let him see what a bit of urgency can do to your game.

Remember speaking to Forest fans who said exactly the same thing when he was first there. Took them a good dozen or so games to work out what he was going to do before it all clicked for him. Thought he put more of a shift in defensively than he normally does last night despite playing quite high up the pitch.

I’ve seen him put a shift in for England u21s aswell so maybe it’s something he’s been taught whilst with them.

Now for a personal view...

We were probably all watching Dowell more than Derby and the one thing that struck me was how much trotting around he does. Trotting back when they are on the break and getting there two metres behind some of their attackers, trotting forward and getting there just too late for the ball into the box, shuffling around in midfield to where he is not quite the obvious pass to get things going.

Obviously it was his first game and he has a lot more skills in his locker than he showed last night. But, if I were Cocu, I could do far worse than show him the match tape of Lawrence and let him see what a bit of urgency can do to your game.

...I know they have stats on all types of things, be interesting how much ground he covered compared to his teammates. I always think of him as a ‘languid’ mover, never gives the impression the throttle is full out.

...I know they have stats on all types of things, be interesting how much ground he covered compared to his teammates. I always think of him as a ‘languid’ mover, never gives the impression the throttle is full out.
Yeah, but that's where stats can be a bit misleading as well. How many times do you track back and make a tackle/break up an attack? How many times do you go forward on a break and get on the end of a cross/receive a telling pass? How many times do you receive the ball in midfield and create an effective move with it?

To be fair, so far his skill set has been concentrated on the third aspect there. He's still settling in and once he gets comfortable he will hopefully have the kind of effect that Kenny did with Schalke the other day, rather than fans saying 'OK-ish' on the back of an away win.

Status
Not open for further replies.