Young EFC Players Out on Loan 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been following the loan players as it isn't really competitive football in a lot of cases for the end of this season. Plus some of the info came from fan forums and unfortunately all of us are reduced to watching TV camera choices rather than the whole pitch.

Nonetheless, since Jonjoe Kenny's loan came to an end, I thought it would be interesting to see what the fans' final verdict on him was. Here is a hopefully representative sample from one of the forums:

A good lad, who will certainly be remembered in a positive light. But he would not have been worth the transfer in the current situation, mainly because of a drop in performance in the second half of the season and some obvious weaknesses.
Top lad. Sad to see him go.
In a miserable second half of the season he was one of the few positives. Despite a drop in performance compared to his early phase here.
The first games were top, the rest were mostly average to below average. I don't know why he still has such a high reputation with some of us.
The performances at the end were really poor. Like the whole team.
He has the quality to play better. We can't find a replacement with our disastrous financial situation.
Still have the faint hope that Everton will offer us another loan. But honestly, why should they? They'd rather turn Kenny into cash or keep him for themselves.
Kenny makes a lot of defensive errors, fouls unnecessarily, sometimes gets caught out of position. And also offensively his crosses are not really accurate.
We were all happy because we finally had a right back again. But I'm glad that we don't have a double-digit option to buy him.
Very likeable as a person.
But all in all, too little came from him. Maybe it was because of the system he always had to play, but all in all he started strong and then got a lot worse.
I'm gonna miss him. After a long, long, long time again a right back that played solidly, sometimes even very well. And that despite this sporting Gobi desert of the second half of the season.

I haven't been following the loan players as it isn't really competitive football in a lot of cases for the end of this season. Plus some of the info came from fan forums and unfortunately all of us are reduced to watching TV camera choices rather than the whole pitch.

Nonetheless, since Jonjoe Kenny's loan came to an end, I thought it would be interesting to see what the fans' final verdict on him was. Here is a hopefully representative sample from one of the forums:
Of all the stuff that’s been written about him recently, this is the most telling. It tells me he’s probably not ready for us yet. He’s still young so there are positives and I’m sure there would be teams interested in him. After all, it’s really difficult to leave your home and family to relocate elsewhere, then consistently put in high level performances. He’s shown he can perform, just not consistentl.

Of all football positions, that of full back is the one that has changed most. Keeping the winger quiet and watching team mates do all the other stuff is no longer enough. You've got to not only keep your winger quiet but don't allow him past even once, or you'll be labelled as defensively lacking (even if the winger is Ronaldo). No good tackling hard and fair, you're now more than likely to pick up yellow cards and then be met with the criticism of being temperamentally suspect. Knock the ball long to relieve pressure and you'll be classed as lacking technique to build from the back. Get forward only to see the ball given away leaving you stranded upfield and you'll be criticised for being positionally unsound. Get forward, this time receive the ball but fail to find your CF with anything other than a perfect cross and you're 'another Tony Hibbert'.

Gone are the days of 'anyone can play full back'. Supporter expectations as to what constitutes 'good enough' have been raised. It's no wonder that opinions on the likes of Kenny are so divided.

Yep, hard to tell from BBC lineup where Connolly will play , maybe right CB which would be interesting if he’s alongside Gibson .

I think connolly has played near every position apart from striker and keeper, just like he used to for the u23s! :)
Great to have a player like that in your squad

Status
Not open for further replies.