Young EFC Players Out On Loan 16-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to see Griffiths getting regular game time and apparently being up to the job. He's probabably 4th choice behind Hewelt but his loan has got to be doing him more good than bench warming for the u23s and playing as GK in league 2 means he's likely to have more to do than Hewelt did the other night for the u23s.

Groundhog Day

Premiership

Brendan Galloway not in West Bromwich Albion squad (supposedly recovering from illness as last week but started for U23s on Monday)

Championship

Ipswich Town - Conor Grant was an unused substitute in the 0-1 home defeat to Huddersfield Town

Wigan Athletic - Luke Garbutt was an unused sub in 0-0 away draw at Brentford

League Two
Cheltenham Town - Russell Griffiths played full match in 1-1 home draw with Luton Town

OS Match Report
"After half time it took just seven minutes for Luton to break the deadlock as Hylton broke down the right hand side, beat Aaron Downes and rounded Griffiths before slotting the ball into the back of the net."
"As the final whistle drew closer it was Luton who were applying the pressure, but again they were being limited to long shots that Griffiths was equal to and the game finished level."

Twitter stuff
52: Goal! A fine individual goal from Hylton - taking it past Downes and then around Griffiths before smashing home. 1-0!
68: Hylton gets through but Griffiths came out to steal the ball off him by diving bravely at his feet.

No particular fan comments.

Bundesliga
Eintracht Frankfurt - Shani Tarashaj started on bench and came on in 58th minute of 0-1 away defeat to Freiburg (first game for Tarashaj since his loan)

Had a shot which was blocked but otherwise his name doesn't appear in a couple of Live-Ticker reports. Lot of GOT-style whinging about team performance on fan forums but not particularly about him.

Few player 'ratings' from forums (note German school marking goes from 1=excellent to 6=fail and 4 is the lowest 'pass mark'):
Shani - 5,0
Tarashaj - 6 - did he touch the ball more than once?
Tarashaj 5.0
Shani - 5,0
Shani - 3 should have brought him on earlier
Tarashaj: 4,5
Tarashaj 5 one good moment otherwise nothing
Tarashaj 5 (almost didn't notice he was on the pitch)

League Two
Cheltenham Town - Russell Griffiths played full match in 1-1 away draw with Accrington Stanley

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
37: Boco has a free header 6 yards out but thankfully he heads it straight at Griffiths.
65: Clark drives at goal but his shot from 25 yards is straight at Griffiths

Fan comments
"Griffiths - not much to do, not at fault for the goal (6)"

Seems to be a pattern developing of poor results when we loan our players to Championship sides:

Lundstram - Blackpool
McAleney - Cardiff City / Charlton Athletic
Garbutt - Fulham

The results of this year's loans are, admittedly, incomplete. However, it is concerning that our players don't seem to progress following their loan spells at Championship clubs. Coincidence, not related, or correlation?

Interesting comments after that article!
Indeed, and when you look at Ipswich's Championship position and how few goals they've scored you've got to have sympathy for their views. As well as Grant they have the promising youngster Andre Dozell in midfield seemingly not getting a look in , McCarthy is not renowned for his adventurous ways.

I mentioned in the Youth thread that Steven Kinsella was on the bench for Ireland U19s. I took a look at St Patrick's recent teams and he didn't figure in them , but did play and score 2 in their U19s last month.
Sligo Rovers 1 - St Patrick's Athletic 3
Steven Kinsella (2) and George Mukete.
It's hard to see him making any impact with us if he doesn't force his way into the St Pats first team.

Seems to be a pattern developing of poor results when we loan our players to Championship sides:

Lundstram - Blackpool
McAleney - Cardiff City / Charlton Athletic
Garbutt - Fulham

The results of this year's loans are, admittedly, incomplete. However, it is concerning that our players don't seem to progress following their loan spells at Championship clubs. Coincidence, not related, or correlation?
I think where they are related is that PL loans tend to be to mediocre Championship teams (both because recently we tend to keep our youth players who would potentially feature for a promotion side - Holgate, Davies, etc. - and because those clubs probably have a stable team built to challenge for the PL spot).

Naturally I think it is more difficult to play in a side which is lacking confidence - it may even be arguable that it is easier to be slotted into a PL side than it is to go out on loan in the Championship just because the players are better and can, to a certain extent, cover for you if necessary. (See Galloway, Holgate, Garbutt, Davies, who have all made a decent impression in the PL. I've left out Dowell and Connolly because their appearances have so far been inconclusive.)

And, of course, it could be argued that the three players you mentioned are related by the fact that they might be decent footballers who will have a career in the game but not quite good enough to break into the PL at this point.

Even the ones that we released and who have succeeded in making their way up have tended to be average to journeyman PL players - Ruddy, Forshaw, Gosling, for example. The big failure was with Mustafi, but even then it remains to be seen if he succeeds at the top level of the PL (despite his excellent record elsewhere).

I mentioned in the Youth thread that Steven Kinsella was on the bench for Ireland U19s. I took a look at St Patrick's recent teams and he didn't figure in them , but did play and score 2 in their U19s last month.
It's hard to see him making any impact with us if he doesn't force his way into the St Pats first team.
I seem to recall a big fuss being made over him when he signed for us a couple of seasons ago. Was made out to be a bit of a coup at the time.

The son of former Saint Alan Kinsella Steven joined the Saints in July on loan from Everton and has made an immediate impact since joining.

The winger signed for Everton from Templeogue United in 2014 and has appeared for Ireland at numerous youth levels.

Previous Clubs: Everton (2014-), Templeogue United

Vital Stats
  • Position: MF
  • Squad Number: 24
  • DoB: August 22nd, 1998
  • Height: 0cm
  • Appearances: 8
  • Sponsored by:
Goals
  • League: 0
  • FAI Cup: 0
  • Setanta Cup: 0
  • League Cup: 0
  • European: 0
  • President's Cup: 0
  • Leinster Senior Cup: 0
  • Friendly: 0
Matches I Played In
Date Competition Home Team Away Team
August, 15th 2016 League Longford Town 0 St Patrick's Athletic 1 REPORT
August, 12th 2016 League St Patrick's Athletic 1 Galway United 0 REPORT
August, 1st 2016 League Wexford Youths 0 St Patrick's Athletic 1 REPORT
August, 19th 2016 FaiCup St Patrick's Athletic 2 Limerick 0 REPORT
August, 8th 2016 LeagueCup Shamrock Rovers 1 St Patrick's Athletic 3 REPORT
August, 5th 2016 League Derry City 1 St Patrick's Athletic 1 REPORT
August, 26th 2016 League St Patrick's Athletic 0 Bohemians 1 REPORT
September, 2nd 2016 League Shamrock Rovers 0 St Patrick's Athletic 0 REPORT

What level of English football would League of Ireland Premier League be equivalent to? (Genuine question, I don't mean to sound insulting!)
overall pretty low.there are only a few fully pro clubs in ireland with the rest being semi pro or amateur.teams have cycles of a few years in ireland then slip away for a few seasons.dundalk are the best team at the minute and have been doing well in europe with a good manager but they will probably lose their best players this year to england.hard to say what level the irish clubs would be at in england because like i said most are amateur and wouldn't have big attendences and zero cash so if they were to start in england in the morning more than likely league 2 for the top teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.