2018/19 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also gets caught " flat " all the time and as result ends up stranded.

His positional awareness for this level of footy is shocking.

You're spot on mate BUT there are definite reasons for that. The main being he's major development has been in a Burnley side which is pretty simple to play in defensively. That's in no way me attempting to diminish how brilliant Dyche has done but, when you've got hard working defensive wingers, fullbacks who are nice and tight next to be CBs and you're playing deep to stop the space in behind, everything has been in front of Keane. Long ball, heads it. Through ball, the gap isn't too big and he can read it.
Playing for us, even under Koeman, we have our full backs high and we have wingers who like to attack first and foremost. So he's gone from having no space to worry about to a chasm of it. And I think finally under Marco the Mighty he is beginning to learn how to address that.
He still has a lot of work to do but he's showing flashes of promise, in my opinion.
Going out on a limb, IF he can sort out that spacial awareness - seen notably when he gets caught flat as you rightly say - I think he's got more to his game than Zouma.

You’re like a worse, unfunny version of me on GOT.
Screenshot_232_1080x.jpg

You're spot on mate BUT there are definite reasons for that. The main being he's major development has been in a Burnley side which is pretty simple to play in defensively. That's in no way me attempting to diminish how brilliant Dyche has done but, when you've got hard working defensive wingers, fullbacks who are nice and tight next to be CBs and you're playing deep to stop the space in behind, everything has been in front of Keane. Long ball, heads it. Through ball, the gap isn't too big and he can read it.
Playing for us, even under Koeman, we have our full backs high and we have wingers who like to attack first and foremost. So he's gone from having no space to worry about to a chasm of it. And I think finally under Marco the Mighty he is beginning to learn how to address that.
He still has a lot of work to do but he's showing flashes of promise, in my opinion.
Going out on a limb, IF he can sort out that spacial awareness - seen notably when he gets caught flat as you rightly say - I think he's got more to his game than Zouma.

I agree with your assessment of Keane, although not the Zouma comparison. The best game he had for us, by far, was the 0-0 at home to Chelsea just before Christmas last year. Allardyce set us up for the 0-0 and it felt like the entire game was played in our box. Keane was magnificent, heading and clearing anything that came near him. He did however play the entire game on the edge of the six yard box...

His lack of pace is the biggest concern for me. We now play a higher line and however much he can / does improve his spacial awareness, if he's standing more than 25 yards in front of the goal, the opposition will always be able to beat him with a ball over the top to a pacy striker

I agree with your assessment of Keane, although not the Zouma comparison. The best game he had for us, by far, was the 0-0 at home to Chelsea just before Christmas last year. Allardyce set us up for the 0-0 and it felt like the entire game was played in our box. Keane was magnificent, heading and clearing anything that came near him. He did however play the entire game on the edge of the six yard box...

His lack of pace is the biggest concern for me. We now play a higher line and however much he can / does improve his spacial awareness, if he's standing more than 25 yards in front of the goal, the opposition will always be able to beat him with a ball over the top to a pacy striker

I certainly understand and appreciate your point, I just think history tells us that slower defenders can be still be fantastic.

Vidic
Keown
Adams
Bruce
Kompany
Mertesacker
Van Buyten

Keane may be quick running in a straight line. He turns like an oil tanker though.

Speed is not THAT important for a centre back. It's reactions more than pure pace.
Completely AGREE. Keane's instincts are suspect, but his agility and lateral movement are bad. That being said, Zouma isn't slow and moves really well for someone his size considering the dude is pretty thick for a footballer. You just can't see someone turning him easily, he just seems to have better balance, positioning, maybe it's just strength, I don't know. But pure pace isn't that important.

Silva's back line playing at like the 30 sitting back and counter attacking doesn't require a super pacey CB. Size, height, preventing balls over the top that Pickford can't scoop up is more important. They may need to defend in space when our OUTSIDE backs push up and they are exposed, but not for that long. We've got enough pace in the side to recover on D pretty quickly - and we've got Gana, who helps immensely. When we play weaker sides and lose possesion and are more pushed up it's a problem, but being better at passing and keeping the ball would help that.

Mina is just a giant, though. His feet seem really good and his ball playing excellent as well. I just wonder how long it'll take for him to get Silva's system and be positionally astute. He just seems like a boom or bust player. One one hand, I can see him being the next Koulibaly. On the other hand, I could see him being a complete mess.

But I LOVE that posters call me a troll for posting what Sam Dyche and the Mirror have said. Seriously. I'm troll for quoting others or posting that someone objectively measured Keane as fast. Yeah, my bad for posters being uniformed or frankly, just wrong, and then being upset that they were wrong.

I certainly understand and appreciate your point, I just think history tells us that slower defenders can be still be fantastic.

Vidic
Keown
Adams
Bruce
Kompany
Mertesacker
Van Buyten
Terry heads this list.

If your slower then u have to make up with it by reading the game expertly and having that sixth sense anticipation.

Not sure Keane has it... Yet.

Vidic
Keown
Adams
Bruce
Kompany
Mertesacker
Van Buyten

Kompany is as slow as Keane is fast. I’m sure someone will be along with Fifa ratings to prove me wrong shortly though.

Whilst talking about slow centre backs. Keane is much quicker than Harry Maguire. Balls down the channel always have him struggling, yet Utd were reportedly willing to pay mega millions for him in the summer (well, Mourinho was).

On topic. I can’t wait to see Mina play. Hope he starts soon. I think he’ll be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.