...on your opinion of Moyes?

• Yes

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 32 50.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did,nt the FSW bask in the glory of another man,s hard work in Istanbul.

Would kill me to see that happen to DM, espeicially if that said successor then goes on to spunk our money on donkeys.

Did,nt the FSW bask in the glory of another man,s hard work in Istanbul.

Would kill me to see that happen to DM, espeicially if that said successor then goes on to spunk our money on donkeys.

A change of manager wont solve our finances, so whoever succeeds Moyes wont get an unfair leg up to build on his foundations.

He stays / he goes. Tbf, all things come to an end and we'll go on regardless and we'll see silverware again. How long we have to wait for it depends on parasites off the field of play.

Simple hypothetical. If Everton had won a League Cup in the past ten years, would that change your opinion on the job Moyes' has done?

Great question.

Yes I think it would make a small difference for me in that my main criticism of Moyes is bottling the big matches. I have others like how he talks us down too much and refuses to use subs or the youngsters but not getting us over the line is the main one.

I think Moyes has been brilliant for Everton overall these last ten years. We were in such crap when he came in. Time for a change now though as frankly I want to embrace a bit of a rollercoaster for a while. Moyes has bored me to it.

I think we've got a great 13 or 14 players. With a great support, some decent youngsters and a bit of cash from the new TV deal I think we're a decent prospect for any top manager.

Yeah it would.

I'd kill to win that cup (hope Brian isn't reading this).

It's the easiest one to bloody win but we rarely even get close.

I'm pretty sure we will never win it.

Totally agree with you. I would be chimming my ass off if we won the League Cup and I post regularly about my disgust that we don't treat it with enough respect. We should be looking at winning both cups every single season.

... but what if our League Cup final was against Bradford? Just luck of the draw stuff ... we get Bradford and cruise to a nice win. Would that change your perception of bottling? We still lose against Chelsea in a semi and a final, we still lose against the RS in a semi, we still get dumped out of Europa at the same times, we still lose against the cherry-picked top sides people always point out.

I'm not a Moyes hater but I don't see how a Cup -- if it was won with a kind draw and a bit of luck like facing a lower league side in the final instead of a team that would go on to win the Champions League -- would change the perception of Moyes. It would though ... at least to you ... which kind of proves the point that people defending Moyes make doesn't it? That the luck of the draw in a Cup competition doesn't really make someone a better or worse manager? Doesn't it mean constantly pointing out the no-mark clubs which have fluked a Cup and done nothing else in a decade isn't really a valid "anti-Moyes" point?

Moyes wouldn't be a better manager if we faced Bradford in the Cup final instead of Chelsea. He'd just be a luckier one.

The question was asked without stipulations and was answered without.

But OK, if we had managed to draw Bradford after beating Chelsea comfortably over a two-legged semi and enduring the type of run the swans got it'd change my opinion of Moyes.

You rarely win a cup without beating at least two very good sides. I'm not confident Moyes has got the arse to do it.

And for the record I don't hold Chelsea or those types against him. The better side won. But I can point you in several directions where we got beat by far worse sides when we should have been in complete control and retreated like Italian infantry if you like.

Edit - BTW I would have considered 1 FA Cup/EL Cup and 1 League cup a resounding success over the past 11 years. I'd have probably forgiven him the FA as we have an atrocious run of injuries and would have given them a better game if our best players(who were all playing the best football of thier careers) hadn't got injured.

Last edited:
Good question, I think it may gain him some respect but ultimately those who want him to either go or stay will bend the argument to suit their needs. It's the nature of the football fan. And I do it myself!
I would like to see him win at least 1 trophy, just because I feel he has kind of earned one after doing what I consider to be a great job for us overall.
This is the longest I have seen the team go without a trophy though and I must admit it is pi**ing me off big time!
I don't really care who is boss as long as we pick up some silverware

Look at what teams have won the league cup and what have won the FA Cup in the past decade. League Cup is most certainly easier to win.

In the last decade we have reached 2 FA Cup semi finals & 1 FA Cup Final.
Also in that time, we have reached 1 League Cup semi final.

We've had more success in the FA Cup, and have traditionally ALWAYS done rubbish in the League Cup, well before the Moyes era even started. It's seems daft to use the League Cup to have a go at Moyes.

Use 'a trophy' by all means.

For me no but maybe that is because I do not rate the competition. The FA Cup most definantly.
I do think he needs to win something though as it has become more and more of an issue. The 09 cup final on the day I didn't feel confident. I don't think the scorching heat helped us either and we were underdogs so I can sort of forgive that. The semi last year I cannot. But for me the defeat away to Fiorentina was the most depressing result/performance. We were the strongest team in that and bottled the away leg leaving us with a difficult home leg. That is the one that irks me most.

I think it would have improved everything exponentially.

A lot of criticism of Moyes is subjective - sht football; 7th - is it all that? transfer genius or .....? Whereas "no trophies" is cast iron fact and imo has brought the believers to the brink of saying "enough".

If he'd won the league cup earlier on I reckon he's had teams to win more. His confidence would have grown possibly deterring the "shrinking violet" attitude of his teams and lord knows where a bit more "up and at 'em" would have got us against the RS and others.

Probably would have been poached by now.

Bottom line we need money. Everyone knows this. We are only ever going to be able to achieve so much on such limited resources. Moyes cannot keep pulling rabbits out of hats in the transfer market

Its like youve given up the fight on Kenwright and turned on Moyes.

Can you remember when Alan Curbishley was manager of Charlton? They were consistently towards mid table on limited funds- safe pretty much every season until he left and they capitulated. My biggest single worry is that if Moyes leaves the very same could happen to us.

Its happened to Leeds, Forest and even Blackburn. Into the abyss and struggling to get anywhere again.

Theres a lot more circumstances behind all their downfalls.

Everton are not Charlton. Everton can attract better players, pay better wages. Everton have players of value that will cover decent transfer funds for a few seasons.

The Everton job is an attractive one despite its finances. The downside is getting a manager that will work with constraints and nab a bargain.

A change of manager wont solve our finances, so whoever succeeds Moyes wont get an unfair leg up to build on his foundations.

He stays / he goes. Tbf, all things come to an end and we'll go on regardless and we'll see silverware again. How long we have to wait for it depends on parasites off the field of play.

Jesus H Christ stop talking sense its really unsettling

In the last decade we have reached 2 FA Cup semi finals & 1 FA Cup Final.
Also in that time, we have reached 1 League Cup semi final.

We've had more success in the FA Cup, and have traditionally ALWAYS done rubbish in the League Cup, well before the Moyes era even started. It's seems daft to use the League Cup to have a go at Moyes.

Use 'a trophy' by all means.
I'm not having a go at him. I didn't use the FA Cup because only non-Sky team to win it during that time was Portsmouth. (therefore all the teams who have won it have been massive spenders) If Moyes managed to win an FA Cup, I would say he's achieved as much as he possibly could considering we never had a shot at the league. For me that would be a resounding success.

The League Cup seems far more fluky and less important, and the teams we are compared to having supposedly done better under similar circumstances are held up because of their LC victories.

I think how you answer this depends how you see the game.

For me it will always be about winning trophies.

We'll never, ever win the league as long as the status quo is maintained, ergo we should be going all out to win cups and perform to the best of our ability in them. We've been knocked out by some atrocious teams and lost games we should have won in sickening ways.

That can't be argued with IMO.

I'd take no satisfaction whatsoever from finishing 2nd, 3rd or anywhere else, though I'd respect the achievement. I'd love to win a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.