Will we qualify for Europe this season?

Will we qualify for Europe this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be very surprised if we don't finish 7th, and even then, the season is a write off.

If we do qualify for the Europa then I hope we play fringe players in those very early qualifiers. The fact that it is also a World Cup summer will impact on how soon some players return to club duty.

While we arent that far out, I still think its too much, as likely this year a cup is won by a non top 6 team, meaning I think it takes top 6 or a cup win to make europe. I just dont see us getting there twice in a row.

If so, it would be huge, because to any prospective signings we look better due to perceived consistency in europe.

You have to take four things into account about our Europa campaign this year:

A. So many new pieces and three key pieces not involved/gone (Coleman, Barkley, Lukaku)
B. Maybe the toughest group in the whole competition
C. Really tough league campaign which destroyed whatever confidence our players had... combine this with A and you have a catastrophe of a team
D. Coaching situation was dire

I think if we got back in, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. There were an abundance of issues plaguing us. Still, it's a fatiguing journey for the players. If you don't have a competent second team to rotate during the competition, it can really hurt fitness levels for the weekend.

I think we get back into the competition (or 7th and no Europa) and our schedule isn't nearly as grueling as it was this year. I think of all the players we should have available next year as well: Coleman, Bolasie, Dowell, Connolly, Onyekuru, Joe Williams... That is a talented group of youngsters and experience coming into the fold. Allardyce would be wise to field a strong team while rotating frequently. Europa should be priority number 2 as it was for our final game against Apollon. If we don't advance because we play a slightly weaker team, NBD.

No and I hope we don't

You “hope we don’t”?

That means you hope we lose enough matches to ensure we finish no higher than eighth and we are either knocked out the F.A. Cup before the final or we are beaten in the final itself.

Now, I refuse to believe you would be sitting watching the F.A. Cup final either at Wembley, in person, or on your TV screen and hope we get beat.

That is just a silly thing for you to say, Billy :pint2:

Hope not, Sam's not stupid he knows if we cant get in tbe CL to make sure we dint get stuck in the Europa

How will he go about this?

So, if we are playing in the Cup Final, Sam will demonstrate his not “stupid” he is by setting the team up to get beaten because he does not want us to “get stuck” in the Europa League?

Or if we are sitting somewhere between 5th and 7th but way behind the top four with two or three games to go will he play weakened teams in order to finish outside the EL spots?

Yeah right......like that’s gonna happen.

:dance:

Possibly, it depends on what happens in January I think. I'm definitely in the camp that would want too qualify though, I don't really get why some don't. The only way a club really grows is continually playing in Europe one way or another. Fact of the matter is that bar 2 or 3 clubs in each league, if you don't qualify for Europe then foreign players just consider you a crappy, run of the club whom they would be wasting their time signing for even if offered big money.

With a settled squad, a decentish manager and a mentality to take it seriously the EL is a VERY winnable competition that I'd love to see a win, hopefully in the next few years. Let's get back in and learn from the mistakes of this season to have a proper go next time. It's by far the best chance we'll have getting to the CL because no one is cracking top 4 for a long time.

I very much doubt it.

There's no doubt that Big Sam has made an extraordinary start to his Everton tenure, but we still have a desperately unbalanced squad. And we're still lacking a top class striker, Rooney aside.

If he gets us 10th spot then I'll be absolutely made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.