Why do everton continue to lose away to certain teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still not the norm though. Man Utd have lost more away games than they've won this season. Spurs have lost twice as many away as they've won. Arsenal have also lost more than they won away from home. Even teams that have done well, like Sheffield United, have only won 4 of 13 away games. If Everton can convert some of the 8 defeats into draws, then that's not bad.

We have scored as many goals away as we have at home, but our defence seems much tighter at home. That seems an obvious area to look at.

The issue of us not winning at several grounds since the 90s is what we’re talking about here though. Worse teams than us have won games there in that time and still do, it can’t be a matter of quality. We just bottle it, it’s a culture that’s been ingrained in us. To be honest I think it started with Moyes, he bred the idea that we have no right to win at these places.

Because the best teams don't lose very often at home? Last season, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea lost just four games at home out of 76. So away teams have a 5% chance of winning. That's broadly the same for each of the last how many seasons. The top teams lose a handful of games at home every season.
and when they do lose, it tends to be against each other.

I'm sure the "top 4" went something like 7 years only losing 1 home game between them against a non-top 4 team.

It's not just us, everyone struggles to beat them

Moyes started this with his negative tactics away from home. Look at how he set West Ham up at Man City last week - NO strikers started the game.Does he really think West Ham, like us before could defend for an hour and a half against City?
The biggest problem we have is winning at Anfield. The cup game was the best chance in living memory and we still couldn't. We will get the wins at United, Chelsea, Tottenham under Carlo, but I honestly believe I may not see us win at Anfield again.

Our record away to arsenal, liverpool, chelsea and man utd is abysmal in the last 25 years+ and it's getting to the point now where questions have to be asked. On numerous times within that period Everton have been in a commanding position in those fixtures sometimes even with 2 goal leads but never seem to win. I think we are better than Arsenal but yesterday they score with virtually every decent chance they get and we miss a load of great chances. When even Ancelotti is struggling to stop this rot of a run, it begs the question how does it keep happening that we continue to lose these fixtures and add to the terrible record against these clubs. Will it ever change? Liverpool kids and then this weak arsenal team. Is it purely a mentality problem? I'm not sure because the likes of Cahill, pienaar, jagielka etc were all strong minded and had the same problems.

It is extremely annoying !!

I agree that is right but there has to be something else, because worse sides than us have won a them places.
Only the last few years have we actually made ground on likes of arsenal, Chelsea and Man U. Most years these teams have been among the best so they are always more likely to win. Losing at these grounds can become habit over time. Then it becomes a mental block. Only have to look at the fa cup derby. We play well or we score it doesn’t matter as soon we concede a goal or make a mistake we all know what happens. However yesterday we was the better team for most the game just mistakes yet again costing us. We can only hope going forward with a few more additions to the team with Carlo he can break this mental block.

How does "weak mentality" sustain itself over time across the continuing churn of incoming and outgoing players?

Is it part of the coaching regimen or do they put something in the drinking water?

I think the problem is worse than that, I think it’s the fact we lose every really important game which is most worrying. When was the last time we won a must win game?

When was the last time we even had a “must win” game?

Not since the heady days of Bobby’s first season.

Since then we have been mediocre, hanging around mid table with no really important league games at the business end of the season.

Sad.

The lack of a winning mentality certainly plays a part, but the main problems are a lack of quality and composure. With a more composed defence we wouldn't have conceded three yesterday, and better quality and composure upfront should have yielded four or five goals. Hopefully next season, Ancelotti will have addressed some of these issues, imagine going to the likes of Arsenal and creating so many chances with a more clinical team, can't wait.

I dislike Moyes with a passion, but he's been gone 7 years now, how can us not winning still be his fault?

Baines is the only player left from his reign. I genuinely think nowadays, it's because we actually play half decent football, it isn't right for winning at the so called "big" teams. They outplay us because they're better than us in reality. Bournemouth and Palace etc, sit in deep and counter attack, big teams hate that.

I dislike Moyes with a passion, but he's been gone 7 years now, how can us not winning still be his fault?

Baines is the only player left from his reign. I genuinely think nowadays, it's because we actually play half decent football, it isn't right for winning at the so called "big" teams. They outplay us because they're better than us in reality. Bournemouth and Palace etc, sit in deep and counter attack, big teams hate that.

We sat deep and counter attacked under Moyes and Koeman, still couldn’t win there. Bournemouth aren’t defensive either.

Status
Not open for further replies.