Who let Everton/Koeman down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably naively, I'd thought that Moshiri's arrival would move us on a bit from the "corner shop" mentality that has become a millstone apart from the cosy "good old fashioned club" image that Kenwright becomes misty eyed over. I'd thought too that we'd moved on from the 'borrowing from Peter to pay Paul' haggling in the market and give Koeman the ackers to get who he had targeted without the trademark arsing about that infests a lot of our dealings. I feel underwhelmed by things Everton in the "new regime" thus far...but as usual with being an Evertonian, its the hope that kills.

We were taken for a ride by numerous agents of players who blagged to us they were interested in joining. They had no interest and where using us to either pressure their club into getting a better contract or by making the club they actually wanted to go make a bid, Sissoko, Perez being examples of this.
Hopefully lessons learnt.

If only we had someone on this forum who could investigate for us and find out.

All we need is the board to be honest with the fans and say they fkd up big time again, no ifs or whats about it. They fkd up again and heads should roll

Hierarchy of blame:

Moshiri (sorry, there's no hiding place on that, he's king of the castle so let's be consistent: if Kenwright was still the power at the club then he'd be in everyone's cross hairs...and quite rightly so. How many times did we hear the crowing this summer that Kenwright was just an errand boy now? Well we cant have our cake and eat it...and that takes care of his Russian mate too - because that's HIM, Moshiri, in the boardroom and in negotiations).

Walsh/Koeman. (they failed too. Any manager and DoF who cant shuffle realistic targets in front of those dealing with the agents take responsibility). Too much time fixating on Mata/Witsel etc...players who I dont think are elite but they and their clubs and agents do...robbed us of players down the market valuation food chain. And I must say, the slothful nature that Koeman got into the club after his extended holiday wouldn't have helped either.

We then signed Bolasie.

After signing Bolasie, Koeman said;

On Friday

This is the clubs manager, and majority shareholder openly admitting they need to strengthen the squad - after we signed Bolasie.

It's a fair assumption then, that the club didn't leverage the transfer window as well as they expected and that both Moshiri and Koeman will be a tad annoyed this morning. Koeman admitted himself he'd be disappointed.

So, how do Everton learn from it? Who at Everton is responsible for our transfer shenanigans?

Moshiri tells us it's Kenwright, with support from himself, Steve Walsh and Ronald Koeman.

Since Moshiri come in, with the exception of Alexander Ryazantsev joining the board who has no experience in football - he's kept faith with the existing regime. He promoted Elstone and Barrett-Baxendale to the board. Does Moshiri now have a mandate for change?

"If a player doesn't want to join, what can we do?"
"If a bigger club comes in and takes our transfers, what can we do?"

Appreciate these views, but for me - that is part of the process. Competition/scoping out players who will come and navigating the minefield and murky world of football agents.

Too many times does it seem we've been made a patsy. Forget Sissoko. That was a last minute, panic. I'm not convinced we should be throwing that type of money at a player who the clubs manager wouldn't have had the opportunity to even meet face to face. That failing is just one of many.

So then, I'll wrap up with.

• Who is to blame for Koeman being left - in his own words - "disappointed"
  • Should Moshiri be making changes to the transfer way of working at Everton?

Wouldn't disagree with any of that and there are no doubt valuable lessons to be learned about how and when we do our business but I don't think that we should underestimate in any way how much of an impact the actions of the players, the agents, and other clubs have on these things - all of which are completely outside of our control.

Even if we are supposedly loaded, I'm still glad we didn't let the likes of Porto bend us over - as it appears may be the case with Brahimi.

You can have all the money in the world bit if a player doesn't want to come here then that's it really.

I think sissoko summed up our summer within a 2 hour time frame last night. Yeah I'll come, of course I'll sign.....oh sorry lads.

Can you imagine what has been going on behind the scenes with the other targets that wasn't played out in front of millions. Our stock has been ruined by the previous management, I'm in no doubt about that
Lol.

The negotiating team, whoever they may be.

Not Koeman and Walsh, who I'm sure identified targets. Not entirely Moshiri, although I hope he gets his own board in soon, and gets more than 49.9% ASAP.

100% this. Our negotiating "team" of utter balloons should bear the brunt of it. Could have had a top player in by tea time yesterday but unfortunately Porto didn't want to accept Blue Bill's offer of £1 for the next 34 million days for Brahimi so we were left scrambling to get second and third rate options in. Of course the motley crew couldn't even sort that!

I reckon Koeman comes across as a fella who will call a spade a spade.

If he doesn't, well, I'm going to find it hard to get up at 3am to watch us this year.
you and me both mate...and with the imminent respective (UK/NZ) daylight savings shifts, it's gonna be even tougher.
...but I (helplessly) retain optimism....

100% this. Our negotiating "team" of utter balloons should bear the brunt of it. Could have had a top player in by tea time yesterday but unfortunately Porto didn't want to accept Blue Bill's offer of £1 for the next 34 million days for Brahimi so we were left scrambling to get second and third rate options in. Of course the motley crew couldn't even sort that!
It's easy to say 'negotiating team' though isn't it? They are faceless and carry no great clout within the club and as such they are soft targets.

That negotiating team had a line through to all the major figures at the club and THEY told THEM what to do and how far they could go. They didn't identify ridiculous targets or set the fee/wage valuations.

Hierarchy of blame:

Moshiri (sorry, there's no hiding place on that, he's king of the castle so let's be consistent: if Kenwright was still the power at the club then he'd be in everyone's cross hairs...and quite rightly so. How many times did we hear the crowing this summer that Kenwright was just an errand boy now? Well we cant have our cake and eat it...and that takes care of his Russian mate too - because that's HIM, Moshiri, in the boardroom and in negotiations).

Walsh/Koeman. (they failed too. Any manager and DoF who cant shuffle realistic targets in front of those dealing with the agents take responsibility). Too much time fixating on Mata/Witsel etc...players who I dont think are elite but they and their clubs and agents do...robbed us of players down the market valuation food chain. And I must say, the slothful nature that Koeman got into the club after his extended holiday wouldn't have helped either.

You act as if this is the first time we've ever been shambolic in the transfer market and embarrassed ourselves. No matter who the manager is, we're always the same. Penny pinching, missing out and scrambling around last minute. 15 years of the same old garbage. Ask yourself why, think long and hard about it. The answer is staring you in the face.

We were taken for a ride by numerous agents of players who blagged to us they were interested in joining. They had no interest and where using us to either pressure their club into getting a better contract or by making the club they actually wanted to go make a bid, Sissoko, Perez being examples of this.
Hopefully lessons learnt.
definitely a lot of this going on. Arnoutavic a prime example. More money brings more failed deals in our case as we find it hard to close them.

You act as if this is the first time we've ever been shambolic in the transfer market and embarrassed ourselves. No matter who the manager is, we're always the same. Penny pinching, missing out and scrambling around last minute. 15 years of the same old garbage. Ask yourself why, think long and hard about it. The answer is staring you in the face.
Sorry, any regime coming in and promising a new dawn better provide one or lose face. That's what's happened.

They are a billionaire outfit full of bravado and instead of getting the job done they made this club a laughing stock last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.