Who let Everton/Koeman down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its possible that Moshiri hadn't intended a massive spend in this window, with Walsh only just appointed he would not have had Everton targets lined up. It was more likely that ground developments are first on the agenda.

Its possible that he left BK/RE to their own devices somewhat and if they fail, as they have done, it gives him a ready mandate to move them sideways or out the door altogether as his vision for the club moves forward.

It makes sense to use them as a scapegoat is the window didnt go well.

All assumptions obviously.

Whoever negotiates the deals,ties up the loose ends so to speak,the people we were linked with by Esk,havent moved anywhere and I have no reason to believe they were not primary targets,look at Witsel,deal cancelled at the 11th hour,transfers arent the same in real life as on computer games

I don't think even Koeman himself is sourced. He probably told his best mate we were about to sign 50+ players only for it to balls up.
I know you're just throwing out a number there but I'd actually like to know how many we actually went after rather than how many the press linked us with. People see a name that may or may not have any substance to it & they run with it.
I've been critical of the link between transfers & betting that throws up BS links to squeeze another dollar out of the mug punter, but I think this is a major player in the angst ridden post transfer window fume.

Bit amateur like. It seems we've been let down by outside factors as well though and if the stories are true about deals like the brahimi one, it's good in the long run we haven't just bent over and let teams name their price. Fact is we were going after players who mostly chose champions league teams over us e.g. mata, witsel, perez, gabbiadini, sissoko and we had plenty of backup choices as well.

Koeman didn't fancy some players fans thought would be good additions e.g. hart and bony, he's a manager at the end of the day whereas we're just fans. We have a kind starting fixture list so hopefully continue our good start and learn from our mistakes and hopefully with a good league position we'll be a more attractive option and make a few signings in january which may propel us to europe or champions league.

We got Koeman to eventually sign because we sold him our vision. We seemingly got lukaku to stay and possibly sign a new contract partly because of that same vision. They'll no doubt be thinking they've been had to an extent.

I wasn't expecting top quality signings at the start of the summer, my hopes were raised by our ambitious targets and the growing possibility they got close, had they all rejected us out of hand straight away it wouldn't even bother me and we could have obtained more gettable targets straight away then. But if i was offered our transfer business at the start of the window, i would have been pretty underwhelmed, i would ahve expected more.

I do hope we learn from this.

.....as posted elsewhere, I'm sure the club are capturing lessons learned. A few random thoughts;

- it wasn't ideal that Walsh came in during a transfer window with no preparation time or agreement on strategy/policy. Walsh now has time ahead of the next window to define requirements and target new players.

- we appear to have unearthed a diamond in Gueye.

- our transfer activity appears to have ramped up once Stones was sold. This supports those who feel we are no better off from an investment perspective than under the previous regime. More specifically, we have to sell to buy. The fans need assurances, @chicoazul suggests a statement could be imminent but ultimately actions speak louder than words.

- we have reportedly met selling club valuation for many high-profile players yet didn't manage to convince a single one to sign. Whoever had the responsibility didn't convince players about the 'Everton Project'. This has to be addressed. The process we deployed has to be evaluated and changed.

I honestly don't know, nobody does. Naivety of Moshiri? Lasting influence of Bill/Elstone? Or just the fallout from two disastrous seasons under the old regime?

I'm certain Moshiri has learnt from this though, as wanky as that sounds. He can never let this happen again, and will have to make serious changes to the way the club operates.
Let what happen again? What happened?

Nothing will change.

no matter how much we all gather round and talk about assessing for the future, truth is nothing will change. We will keep doing this over and over again and we will all be let down by 'couldn't get it over the line' 'chose someone else' and 'ran out of time' excuses.

that is what scares me more than anything, we can't do transfers. Our deals this summer was a goalkeeper for nominal fee, release clause, 2 name your price players and finally a loan of a cast off player being carted about the league. That is it, we didn't actually negotiate anything, when we did we failed every single time. I can understand this short term thing being a reason for failure on that front but 2 months worth of it? Including a new recruit who's job it is to deal with transfers?

what if, just what if, the money was not there? Is there not even the most remote chance that there was no money as we were led to believe? Because we didn't spend any.

Status
Not open for further replies.