who is preferred?

Who is the preferred midfielder Osman or Pienaar?

• Osman

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Pienaar

Votes: 37 60.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If SWP signs, I think the term 'Midget Gems' will get used waaaaaaaaaay too often this season to be funny anymore.

I like this :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/24/premierleague.westbrom?gusrc=rss&feed=football

Dazzling Osman fails to appease Moyes anger

'The pattern continued until the match flamed into life after a near-sublime moment from Osman after 63 minutes. The midfielder danced past West Brom players into the area. He should have shot, but passed to Arteta. His cross went for a corner. And, from the same player's delivery, Rodwell headed home.

This, though, was disallowed by Rob Styles, who judged Paul Robinson to have been impeded. From Moyes came what had been brewing for a while: real fury. And, while still raging, Arteta fed Osman inside the area. Now his shot beat Scott Carson - and this time the goal stood.'

That's almost a different thread in itself, personal top 5 players in the squad.

I agree (as will most) Pienaar is in the top 5 of our club. But I think he lies about 5th or even 6th (imo) whereas (for my 2p) Ossie is always above him in the ranking for the goal threat he provides.

If I had to put my top players in a list in terms of importance to the team. I guess my list would go something like :
- Yakubu
- Arteta
- Lescott
- Howard
- Osman
- Pienaar
- Vaughan
- Cahill

I think everyones mileage may vary.

Also people are saying Ossie in the mid, Pienaar on the wing. But I don't think that aspect comes in to the decision. Only one will make it in to the starting 11 (I guess) if we get more midfielders in (that are higher quality than both mentioned players), so one must be dropped it seems. Position is irrelevant (although Ossie can player on the wing or centre ;) )

:eek:

- Cahill
- Arteta
- Lescott
- Howard
- Yakubu
- Yobo
- Jagielka
- Pienaar
- Vaughan
- Osman

(i have a very low opinion of Osman) :)

Pienaar by a hair for me.

But if you had asked me this at the beginning of last season, I'd have said Pienaar by a mile.

Ossie's really come on strong in the last year and has continued where he left off.

So we are talking about dropping players now!lol

Has to be Ossie on current form hes always likely to score to he really has improved his game in the last two seasons! Sometimes i think if he was foregin a lot more of our fans would like him.

I didnt know where yours was going until that last line just killed it.

Someones got to have some kind of awards for these.

Brass Im looking at you.

Osman for me just. Although very difficult to choose really as they both offer something different to the team. Pienaar statisically provides more assists, but Osman has popped up with more than a few important goals in the last 5 years. Both are lightweight and get pushed off the ball,on the other hand, both can link up with Arteta and the forwards well too. Although I'd be gutted to see either left out the team when fully fit, if the reason was more midfield signings, then when either or both played they may move on to a completely new level and thrive on the competition for places (yes I did say that lol!!!). Both are hitting their peak in the next year or two-can't say 'watch this space' as taken by BK so just to say will enjoy seeing how they each cope with the challenges ahead.

i voted ossie, just because, if players like fernandes and beattie have shown is anything, its that one good season with everton does not mean you'll ever be good again. ossie's proved himself to us repeatedly, but i'd imagine they'd alternate with considerably even playing time.

the type of game makes a difference too, i think osman is better to play against a weaker team, if you look at the goals he most commonly scores, the opposition isn't usually top class. I'm not saying he's not good enough for top teams, just that his style of play is somewhat high risk, he'll dribble into patches of people a lot for instance, and he can get away with that against good teams.

pienaar on the other hand, does a lot of backheels and fancy junk like that, the kind of stuff not needed against weaker opposition, but the stuff that adds creativity to our play when we're playing against higher up teams.

personally i think swp will be a somewhat poor signing (though i suppose anything is good at this point), our midfield will make michael owen look like a giant. as far as im concerned, he'll have to fight for his spot in training just like all the others, and the gaffer can decide who's spot he should take.

Excellent thread ;)

It took some time to make my decision since I rate both highly but I'm going with Pienaar on this one. We all know Osman is a hard worker but he is just too damn small ( I know Pienaar is small too but he is more fierce and uses his body more to defend the ball)

It also has to do with my favorite type of players (Arteta,Okochoa,Ronaldinho,Denilson etc) all players who have superb dribbling skills and really add an interesting flair to the most beautiful game in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.