Votes: 35 15.0%
  • Mr Roberto Martinez

Votes: 165 70.8%
  • Mr Ronald Koeman

Votes: 25 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not voting for any of them. All equally gash.
"Martinez first season so good"? How bad must he be to then take essentially the same squad to successive bottom-half finishes?

The question @evertony needs to ask himself is how would his fanboy crush Martinez have faired has he taken over when Sam Allardyce did.

We’d be bottom is the answer.

So as I say, the different circumstances make this impossible to answer. They’re all equally bad but in very different ways.

Nobody can ever take away that first season that Martinez had. Was a highlight of recent years. But he then took the same side to two successive bottom half finishes.

Allardyce, as much as nobody wants him here next season, will probably take us to a top half finish this year after inheriting a mess (albeit, we're only a slightly better mess now).

Take away that first season from Martinez and he averaged 1.21 points per game at Everton. Allardyce has managed 1.375 points per game so far here - a record which should still see him sacked.

Martinez should still come out ahead in this poll by virtue of the fact that he did give us that first season, but let's not try and gloss over just how bad two thirds of his tenure here was

My vote was based on this.

Unsworth and Allardyce - Utter Garbage

Koeman - 1st Season goodish then fell off the cliff

Martinez - 1st Season goodish then distinctly average

Yes degsy. Where’s the difficulty? You have a multiple choice question with four possible answers for which you need only choose one.
Hobsons choice is, by definition, no choice.
Went Martinez btw, even though it made me gag, just a pity he didn't kick on

Martinez EASILY

1st season we were terrific
2nd season, medicore but could and should have went further in Europe if it wasn't for an injury to stones
3rd season, league wise note very good, but 2 semi finals both of which we were unlucky in, away against city in the league cup when they equalised in the tie the ball had crossed the line for a goal kick, and then in the semis rom missing a pen and a last minute winner for united

in all honestly i would have liked to have seen bobby for 1 more season under the backing that the other managers got ( money wise )

..actually, I haven’t got a clue.
My thoughts exactly.

I only know that I wouldn't pick Big Scam.

Probably not Koeman either. Though in retrospect, I'd have kept him on as I don't think that he would have fared much differently to Unsworth or Big Scam and maybe we needed stability, no matter how good it felt to get shut at the time after some of the bilge he served up at the start of the season.

I feel sorry for Unsworth and don't think he acquitted himself well, but was also hampered by the machinations of the board.

Martinez, great first 3 quarters of a season, and then gradually the team went to pot and the rot set in and is still there to this day. Perhaps with better characters in the dressing room or a bit stronger discipline and drilling the defence and it would all be different now, but I don't think he has the ability to change his ways so probaly not him either.

Joe Royle turned up on the touchline once didn't he? Him then by default? Can that be an option?

63 votes out of 85 for Martinez at the moment, step forward @davek and take a bow.
Surely the implication here isn't that Moyes was a superior coach?

I think events since 2013 underline what a ball bag of a manager he was and is.

Roberto might have left us open to the opposition way too much in his final season here, but he is easily our most tactically aware manager since HK.

I'd probably rank Martinez as the worst, because the rot set in under him, despite his first good season where he enjoyed a well-drilled Moyes defence.

Koeman isn't as good as he initially appeared, and we needed a better manager to recover from the Martinez era. He couldn't deliver, and almost made a bad situation worse.

It's unfair to judge Unsworth because he was just a caretaker.

As dire as the football is, Allardyce has steadied the ship somewhat, we're not heading to relegation and we're not shipping loads of goals every single game.

So I'd say out of Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce, Allardyce has done the least-worst job.

Status
Not open for further replies.