Which managerial sacking was the biggest mistake?

Who should we have kept on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
None of them.

They ALL deserved to be sacked when they were - Benitez stayed far too long.

The only one you could have an argument for was Silva but he looked out of his depth at Everton, ultimately. As @ToffeeTim said, though, he was failed by Brands. Like how Lampard has been failed by Thelwell already.

Lampard, if he goes now, also deserves it. But he's not been helped.

I was going to say Silva but at near halfway point of 19/20 he had a pretty decent team in 18th with upcoming games v Chelsea, Man. United and Arsenal so it was the right call for that time.

Can only assume given Ancelotti was at Napoli for 2-3 seasons everyone just thought his time managing CL elite clubs was done and he was happy to start a serious project a little lower down the league and I thought similar.

His sudden departure sadly produced a catastrophic decision and it still lingers 18 months on with the worst yet to come.

Deffo Koeman. Got us into Europe season 1. Had the most horrendous run of fixtures season 2 and was gone before winter. Should have backed him til Feb at least. Had to sell Rom, tried to get Giroud and if he had done, we wouldn't be in this mess now.
I was delighted to see the back of him, and still am

I was going to say Silva but at near halfway point of 19/20 he had a pretty decent team in 18th with upcoming games v Chelsea, Man. United and Arsenal so it was the right call for that time.

Can only assume given Ancelotti was at Napoli for 2-3 seasons everyone just thought his time managing CL elite clubs was done and he was happy to start a serious project a little lower down the league and I thought similar.

His sudden departure sadly produced a catastrophic decision and it still lingers 18 months on with the worst yet to come.
Yeah again it’s on the board there. No back up plan and all our eggs in Ancelotti’s basket.

I also think we overinvested given everything that’s happened since and I wonder if we encouraged him to leave so we can move players on and lower the wage bill.

Started with Martinez but got to be Silva

Martinez had just finished 11th consecutively.

Given he was following Moyes and how good his first season was that was a massive disappointment so different expectations in those days to now.

Most unlucky by a mile imo was Koeman. Excellent first season and then one of the most bizarre transfer strategies seen from a top half prem club. Sell Lukaku and replace him with endless midfielders and gambles upfront (Sandro Ramirez, Klassen etc). Rooney did his best and think he got to double figures bur everyone could see he was like Ronaldo upfront at that stage and indeed had spent the previous season playing in central midfield for Man. United and England.

I'd have personally given Koeman until xmas of that season like all the other managers as I think he'd have scrambled a few wins and got things back on track, Unsworth did in his comical spell so wasn't impossible task.

Status
Not open for further replies.