Which goal was better

Which goal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda hate the 'hit and hope' bit. They both were hit and hope that only a select few players can expect a result.

When I say hit and hope I'm not saying he kicked it in any random direction and it happened to go in.

But any decent amateur footballer could score Sigurdsson's goal with enough luck. I'm not saying someone from the businesshouses would belt them in from that distance regularly in professional football or anything, and I'm not saying Sigurdsson's goal was lucky. It was incredible. But you see clearances being made in that fashion worldwide every week which fly out of play, bounce through to the keeper etc.

However, there's only a few players in the entire world who could actually strike a ball with the trajectory Rooney did considering the circumstances, never mind get it on target for a goal.

When I say hit and hope I'm not saying he kicked it in any random direction and it happened to go in.

But any decent amateur footballer could score Sigurdsson's goal with enough luck. I'm not saying someone from the businesshouses would belt them in from that distance regularly in professional football or anything, and I'm not saying Sigurdsson's goal was lucky. It was incredible. But you see clearances being made in that fashion worldwide every week which fly out of play, bounce through to the keeper etc.

However, there's only a few players in the entire world who could actually strike a ball with the trajectory Rooney did considering the circumstances, never mind get it on target for a goal.
I agree

They were both lucky and required the same world class skill.

Both were incredible. But let's revisit the 3-Iron for a moment. Wayne's was teed up for that sort of effort. How many sweetly hit 3-irons could anyone hit out of the air?

You call it luck because it was too good to imagine. Wayne squared up a shot (as did Gylfi) from a much more acceptable angle that showcased supposed skill vs luck.

Hit and hope
Luck

Words to describe those things that are too unbelievable to believe. He meant it full stop.

The only luck I see in it was the touch he got nicking the ball to set up the volley. The rest was him seeing and taking an opportunity that few would even try...let alone see.

Rooney was coming backwards when he took it which makes it 10x more difficult imo

Edit Rooney

..absolutely. The majority of those long distance goals are scored with the momentum of the ball goint towards the opposition goal. Rooney’s was drilled at him and it was also along the floor. Amazing technique to generate that return with pace and accuracy. It was like drilling a golf shot below the wind. One of the best from one of the best.

Both were incredible. But let's revisit the 3-Iron for a moment. Wayne's was teed up for that sort of effort. How many sweetly hit 3-irons could anyone hit out of the air?

You call it luck because it was too good to imagine. Wayne squared up a shot (as did Gylfi) from a much more acceptable angle that showcased supposed skill vs luck.

Hit and hope
Luck

Words to describe those things that are too unbelievable to believe. He meant it full stop.

The only luck I see in it was the touch he got nicking the ball to set up the volley. The rest was him seeing and taking an opportunity that few would even try...let alone see.

Eh? With the greatest of respect, how much football have you played? Because that's just wrong.

Absolutely spot on.

As already mentioned, only a few players in the world could have hit that the way Rooney did. As good as it was, Rooney could have scored Sigurdsson's goal, but Sigurdsson couldn't have executed the technique and perfection Rooney did with his.

Gylfis. Cause Rooney's goal was scored with no goalkeeper there and it was much easier to spot that there was a chance to score than it was with gylfis.

Rooney and quite easily.

IMG_5587.JPG

They really didn't. Not trying to take away from Sigurdsson's because it was absolutely brilliant but Sigurdsson had far less to worry about when attempting his. A lot of professional players could have scored Sigurdsson's. Genuinely barely any in World Football would have scored Rooney's with the same technique and by hitting it first time.

Rooney had far more to think about as the ball was coming at him awkwardly at pace. That is the key difference.

It's not even to do with my Sigurdsson dislike, it's just how incredible the technique for Rooney's is. Coming towards him at pace and he hits it just perfectly to avoid hitting Oliver, lobbing the two centre halves and then rolling in.

Do it this way, imagine Rooney scoring Sigurdsson's and vice versa. You'd be more shocked by Sigurdsson scoring Rooney's, imo, than you would by Rooney scoring vs Split.

Status
Not open for further replies.