Votes: 265 33.5%
  • Top 10

Votes: 315 39.8%
  • Bottom half

Votes: 47 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At one point a relegation scrap looked on the cards.

I'd be happy with anything other than that this season. Recent league results have eased the pressure and I hope we don't panic this month and bring in expensive sub standard players.

I wish us fans and the media in particular would stop mentioning the cup loss. Yes it was embarrassing but the RS kids would beat most championship clubs. If we'd lost away to someone like Sheff Wed there wouldn't have been as much fuss. I get why as it hurts more, but it makes us sound like a club in real crisis. We've just appointed one of the best managers ever and have an amazing stadium on the horizon.

Who wants to buy underperforming players from a club in crisis and who'd want to join us?
I don’t think the Red second string, average age of that team was 22, would beat most championship teams, they beat our poor performing squad because we gave up in the second half and conceded the game to them.

That’s why the defeat will continue to be mentioned by plenty of Everton fans, and will be remembered for a long, long time. It was a disgraceful afternoon for all of us, but the PLAYERS fault.

I don’t think the Red second string, average age of that team was 22, would beat most championship teams, they beat our poor performing squad because we gave up in the second half and conceded the game to them.

That’s why the defeat will continue to be mentioned by plenty of Everton fans, and will be remembered for a long, long time. It was a disgraceful afternoon for all of us, but the PLAYERS fault.

It will always be a do you remember how bad that was moment? With our derby record, the team they put out and the fact our season rested upon it you probably couldn't get a more horrific afternoon. We will be bruised by it for years to come.

Possibly top 10
Every time we get the opportunity to kick on and move up the table (and say into a European spot) these shits will lose.
Chance of moving closer to European spots last season against Fulham and the players choked under pressure.

With no cups so less games / injuries etc I think we will finish one below the European places whether that be 6th 7th or 8th. Everton that

We've lost to 5 of the current bottom 7 clubs this season, including all of the bottom 3. Just an average return in most of those games would probably have us in the top 6 now. If Carlo can get this team to act more often than react, we can still salvage something out of this so far awful season. It just highlights what a generally poor standard exists across most of the division.

We do have to remember we are missing vital elements in this team. Our midfield is severely weakened and our attack is still not clinical. Most of our games lost this season have been through lack of chances created by the midfield, Lack of cover by the midfield and when we have created enough chances we fail to convert enough. Might seem a bit simplistic but a goal poacher, creative midfielder and a good defensive midfielder would make a hell of a difference to this team. Totally unbalanced and non clinical is our problems. With Carlo and his experience I am sure he will be working on this already despite knowing at least 2 midfielders will be back at the season end.

I can now see us ending up 8th. More heart ache to come but the standard except Liverpool and City is frankly gash. If and it's a big if, we can off-load some of the poison players mainly 2 central midfielder and accept Coleman is not now the standard needed we may do OK when our genuine long term injured players come back and we sign a quality centre half and a goal scorer. Next season is massive for the club. Bramley Moore hopefully starts, Kenwright hopefully can't be arsed anymore and the manager shows his undisputed class. 20/21 season overtake United and Arsenal be in and stay in top 5.

The 2nd half vs Reds was bad and showed Everton's gaps ( albeit it still coulda been 2 or 3-0 to us at half time ): quality and commitment.

Post-Moyes we've lost these qualities. 8-9 seasons of mostly churn and pretty poor football have left us with a team trying to still forge an identity, with no a or b game plan they trust in (or even have!). I remember beating Spurs 1-0 a few times int he Moyes era - a core of 7-8 lads who rarely rotated and knew how to nick a goal and protect it. Hard work helped, too...

We're lost that; a squad eroded of quality, commitment BY churn - and paying heavy fees for guys who'd be of less interest to bigger teams with European football.

And so to Anfield...
  1. Good half, but goals don't go in (quality)...
  2. Game starts to change, let's turn to our leaders, maybe make the game physical against young lads,...
    uh oh. It was us run off the ball (commitment)
  3. Carlo couldn't have had a worse performance at a better time, and whilst we'll get painful short-term churn - again, for the first time in ages we've someone that can improve us, not waste money.
Our 'non-injured' squad includes
  1. Pickford
  2. Coleman/Sidibe
  3. Mina
  4. Keane
  5. Digne
  6. Gomez * (not Davies)
  7. Gbamin * (not Delph)
  8. Rico
  9. DCL
  10. Bernard
  11. Kean
With a forward in form, tThat's good enough to scrape Europe, especially this season.

My only issue with that squad is the lack of home-grown British talent. Looking across the park at Gomes, TAA, Robertson, Oxlaide, Milner, Henderson etc (the last two are not world-class, yet do a job). And then Elliot and Jone and a few others shine. Ridiculous.

Here's to Carlo, Europe some quality local lads in Blue this time next year.

Next 4 fixtures:
JAN18 @ West Ham
JAN21 VS Newcastle
FEB1 @ Watford
FEB8 VS Crystal Palace

One would think those are all winnable matches. A good 4 week stretch against opposition we should be beating would likely see us in 5th.

I think 7pts. from the 12 on offer is more realistic, and would think that'd put us at 7th.

Follow that up with the toughest stretch of our season:
FEB23 @ Arsenal
MAR1 VS Man Utd
MAR7 @ Chelsea
MAR14 VS RS
MAR21 @ Norwich
APR4 VS Leicester
APR11 @ Spurs

Realistically I see 8 pts. from 21 on offer. Thats 15 pts. from the next 11 matches for a total of 43pts at 33 matches played. That would be 3 less than last year at that stage and likely see us 10/11th.

The run in:
APR18 VS Southampton
APR25 @ Wolves
MAY2 VS Aston Villa
MAY9 @ Sheffield
MAY17 VS Bournemouth

I see 11 pts. from 15 available. Thats 54 pts. which is good for a 7th - 9th place finish every year for the last decade or so.

64 points; which is the average needed for a 6th place finish over the last decade, would be an incredible return at this stage and would mean we are beating all the teams outside Sky's top 6 regardless if it's home or away.

In conclusion, expect 7th - 9th, and if we achieve a 6th place finish and European football, Ancelotti should be in contention for manager of the year.

jesus what’s with these clusters of big teams. We probably will do better in them than our next four knowing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.