We need to get back to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are desperately short of options, that's for sure. But for Godfrey to slot into DM, we'd need Mina back fit to play alongside Keane and who knows when that would be?

Maybe stick with the current back four but put Coleman on the right side of a 3-man midfield (with Davies and Allan), in front of Holgate? Not a great option but at least he's got some fire in his belly.

It's beyond any disagreement now though, we need to bring in two new CMs in the summer, and one of them needs to be the complete package, an instant starter from day 1.
It’s very frustrating mate. These home games. Everytime we have the chance we’ve blown it.

If this season we had one or two more consistently effective midfield options to choose from and a reliable functional RB that is okay in defence and useful in attack then we would have been able to play more fluidly in more games and create more chances and spend more time in the final third

And that's just with competent ok players that could have put in decent performances instead of the flip flop backups we have now

So if we get an actual very good RB in the summer and continue to improve the midfield with actual very good players....we will win at least 42 trophies

It's not about desire or a lack of bottle, we simply haven't got good enough players. There's far too few of them - Richarlison, DCL (maybe), Digne (maybe), James (if he still exists) - who would be regular starters for the teams above and around us. Davies, Delph, Iwobi, Gomes, etc are not good enough. You can carry one or two of them if the rest of the team around them is strong, but they're never going to 'run a game'/be a major influence

This has been good for us since carlo arrived. But we are not good enough to play the way he wants. We laugh at Liverpools home record. No worse than ours. We signed world names. Our best signing was a lad from Norwich. We flatter to deceive, new stadium coming we need to accept what we have. Not sure what that is
If the players can't do Carlo's Plan A, maybe he should try and put together a plan they can do
Ac-
centuate
The positive.

E-
liminate
The negative
etc, etc,

My worry is how terrible we are at attacking and getting the ball forward. It takes us forever to move the ball up the pitch and 9/10 it ends up back at our keeper when we do get it forward. Even when we manage to stay up the pitch we have zero creativity. We get it out wide and cross and hope.

If the players can't do Carlo's Plan A, maybe he should try and put together a plan they can do
Ac-
centuate
The positive.

E-
liminate
The negative
etc, etc,
Isn't that kind of what we are doing? We're not playing flowing football because our midfield is rubbish and devoid of any creativity when James isn't available. So we practically play catenaccio and look for 1-0 wins. That's fine when we're the underdog but we've seen time after time how it comes unstuck when we're the favourites.

We will never move advance or move upwards if we accept mediocrity, we must keep striving and moving in the right direction, it's not going to happen overnight but I'm sure there's a long term plan in place and maybe another two seasons we will be worthy of challenging for everything, yes it's painful at the moment, especially at home but don't lose faith with us getting there.
It will be nearly 2 seasons so hopefully he has seen enough to assess what he needs, I think his not signing older players could be out the window

No, we laugh at Liverpool going like 3 years without losing at home then all of a sudden losing 6 in a row or whatever it is.
True. Their worst season in years and could still finish above us. If we had scored first yesterday we would of sat back for the rest of the game. Why ?

We (not all) need to stop with the 'we are going to win the league!' After 3 wins... and the 'We are going to get relegated Carlo needs to go!" After 3 losses... there is middle ground and we are in it. It's a work in progress as others have pointed out.

Join me in the sit on the fence / safe / grey/beige middle ground / boringness... its a much safer, happier place lol

isn't that kind of what we are doing? We're not playing flowing football because our midfield is rubbish and devoid of any creativity when James isn't available. So we practically play catenaccio and look for 1-0 wins. That's fine when we're the underdog but we've seen time after time how it comes unstuck when we're the favourites.
No
and if it is, we're not doing it at all well.
At the moment, were doing neither, falling between 2 stools

We need to go back to the wall of 4 across the back.
With (easier said than done obvs) decent players infront of the fullbacks...(a fullback is only as good as the player infront of him)
But that involves working arses off physically And mentally.
I saw Iwobi pick the ball up just inside their half, he set off on one of his cross field runs...'Get it!'
About half way across he passed it out left...'Give it!'
The next bit is...'And Go!'
He just stood looking at what Gomes was going to do - which was not much...but thats another story.
He did 'K All.
Makes Barkley look like a footballing mastermind.

We (not all) need to stop with the 'we are going to win the league!' After 3 wins... and the 'We are going to get relegated Carlo needs to go!" After 3 losses... there is middle ground and we are in it. It's a work in progress as others have pointed out.

Join me in the sit on the fence / safe / grey/beige middle ground / boringness... its a much safer, happier place lol
It's tough at the top
But it's tougher at the bottom
And downright boring in-between*

*Turtles Progress - v under rated, IMO, 70s tv show.

No
and if it is, we're not doing it at all well.
At the moment, were doing neither, falling between 2 stools

We need to go back to the wall of 4 across the back.
With (easier said than done obvs) decent players infront of the fullbacks...(a fullback is only as good as the player infront of him)
But that involves working arses off physically And mentally.
I saw Iwobi pick the ball up just inside their half, he set off on one of his cross field runs...'Get it!'
About half way across he passed it out left...'Give it!'
The next bit is...'And Go!'
He just stood looking at what Gomes was going to do - which was not much...but thats another story.
He did 'K All.
Makes Barkley look like a footballing mastermind.
Iwobi isn't up to the job, but who do we have to come in for him? Half of our bench is made up of kids at the moment, with the cupboard especially bare in midfield. Yesterday alone we had no Delph, Gbamin, James, Bernard, Docoure and a half-fit Sig making up the numbers on the bench. Don't get me wrong, the team we put out should still have had too much for Burnley, but our midfield is a mess.

back to reality maybe but we want to move forwards and thats going to take time, i still think this season is a transitional period snd next seasons the one we should EXPECT to see progression
I think you’re right but I’d add that despite transitional season, with the transfer activity we did do, I’d expect some progress this season.
Which, so far you’d agree has happened. But for me though anything less than 7th place finish come the end of the season would be a big disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.