We need to get back to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best hope for the rest of this weekend's fixtures is that Arsenal raise their game to beat Spurs and try to claw back a bit of pride, while Utd best West Ham with minimal fuss (which is the outcome most of us would predict). If those two results go our way then Spurs stay below us and West Ham stay within reach - I'd still fume about losing to Burnley and dropping points, but if those immediately around us lose too then at least our position in the league does not suffer.

Having said all that, it's absurd to look at the results we've had against Burnley, Fulham and Newcastle: one point from eighteen against three teams in the bottom six. Two wins, two draws and two losses in those same six fixtures would have given us eight extra points, making us third. It's mind-boggling.

The best hope for the rest of this weekend's fixtures is that Arsenal raise their game to beat Spurs and try to claw back a bit of pride, while Utd best West Ham with minimal fuss (which is the outcome most of us would predict). If those two results go our way then Spurs stay below us and West Ham stay within reach - I'd still fume about losing to Burnley and dropping points, but if those immediately around us lose too then at least our position in the league does not suffer.

Having said all that, it's absurd to look at the results we've had against Burnley, Fulham and Newcastle: one point from eighteen against three teams in the bottom six. Two wins, two draws and two losses in those same six fixtures would have given us eight extra points, making us third. It's mind-boggling.
We need to find a way to dominate in midfield when we are without Doucouré. Gbamin and Delph are out like forever means we have next to nothing in cm.

Top 4 was a fun dream but always unlikely

I still think we have enough to get Europa or the new UEFA competition

We need to find a way to dominate in midfield when we are without Doucouré. Gbamin and Delph are out like forever means we have next to nothing in cm.
100% agree with you mate. Midfield is a mess at the moment because there is absolutely zero depth. There must be players out there who would be upgrades on Gomes, Delph and Besic (the first three out of the door if it was my decision) who aren't financially out of our reach.

100% agree with you mate. Midfield is a mess at the moment because there is absolutely zero depth. There must be players out there who would be upgrades on Gomes, Delph and Besic (the first three out of the door if it was my decision) who aren't financially out of our reach.
Will move Godfrey to dm with Allan.

We keep saying. We haven't got the squad depth, we can't compete with the top teams, we're not good enough yet. Blah, blah, blah. We've been beaten at home by 3 relegation threatened teams and another also ran who are well organised. We should be beating all of those teams at home every day of the week. Strength in depth shouldn't come into it. It's not good enough.

As a short-term stopgap? Or with a view to permanently converting him into a midfielder?

Not keen myself, either way. But what are your thoughts here?
Stop-term. There are no legs in cm yesterday. Allan must play. But to have Davies and Gomes as 3 just way too slow to track their players. It’s all over the place yesterday the cm. Or we go back to the wall and use Coleman and Digne as wide option?

We still have Alot of winnable games coming up, and we have always bounced back well.... Still good chance of europa
That’s the big positive for me, we had that slump post Derby through October/November then bounced back with a solid December/January. We lost back to back games after the draw with United and the cup game with Spurs and responded by winning the next 3 including the Anfield Derby

Stop-term. There are no legs in cm yesterday. Allan must play. But to have Davies and Gomes as 3 just way too slow to track their players. It’s all over the place yesterday the cm. Or we go back to the wall and use Coleman and Digne as wide option?
We are desperately short of options, that's for sure. But for Godfrey to slot into DM, we'd need Mina back fit to play alongside Keane and who knows when that would be?

Maybe stick with the current back four but put Coleman on the right side of a 3-man midfield (with Davies and Allan), in front of Holgate? Not a great option but at least he's got some fire in his belly.

It's beyond any disagreement now though, we need to bring in two new CMs in the summer, and one of them needs to be the complete package, an instant starter from day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.