2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I can see it from that POV, his position is not worth the wage. I just think top scorer from last season, was doing fine until allardyce turned up, has winning experience we can't really attract, is such a big name that he could help us attract better signings, and could teach all our youngsters a lot - these advantages outweigh what we'll gain.

I think he'd be fine playing a bit part role next season, but he'd then be out of contract (not that that matters if we're not getting a fee anyway), but yeah, do we need to be paying that much wages for a squad rotation option? Not really, that should be what we pay our best player.

I agree mate.

Nail and head.

On that amount of money, you can`t have a player on wages like his, playing a bit part.

As much as I like him, the money on his wages could be better spent elsewhere.

If Silva and Brands think he can be useful and he wants to stay, I'm happy for him to stay regardless of wages.

If he's open for a move and Silva/Brands think the money can be spent elsewhere, then that's fine as well.

I just won't rewrite history if he goes and say he was crap for us last season. He wasn't brilliant, but I never expected him to be. He played well overall in a struggling side.

If Silva and Brands think he can be useful and he wants to stay, I'm happy for him to stay regardless of wages.

If he's open for a move and Silva/Brands think the money can be spent elsewhere, then that's fine as well.

I just won't rewrite history if he goes and say he was crap for us last season. He wasn't brilliant, but I never expected him to be. He played well overall in a struggling side.

It's the opportunity cost though. Three managers tried and failed to figure out what to do with both him and Sigurdsson on the pitch. Regardless of his own personal performance, just having him around threw the balance (ok, attempts at balance) completely off. We didn't sign him to fill a particular role, but entirely for marketing, and sentiment. If he wasn't a boyhood Blue, we'd never even have dreamt of making an offer for him.

See below.

Take away all emotion and this is cut and dry.

Club bring in striker as club’s top earner. >
Striker has decent first half of season but club struggles. >
Majority of goals scored by striker are penalties. >
After Xmas striker is moved into midfield after it becomes apparent striker lacks pace. >
After Xmas striker’s form dramatically drops off for the remainder of the season. >
Striker requests assurances from club of special status next season despite lack of contribution.

Club cannot give assurances to striker nor justify his huge contract now that striker no longer contributes much to team. >
MLS club offer to buy striker. >
Striker moves to MLS. >
Club reinvests in younger striker who will contribute long term.

Cut and dry, no?

Unfortunately he`s now in the " luxury player " bracket.

We aren`t in a postion to accommodate players like that.

If he`s going to stay, it should be with a view to him eventually becoming part of the backroom staff, as he has a hell of a lot to offer the lads on the way up.

Nail and head.

On that amount of money, you can`t have a player on wages like his, playing a bit part.

no room for passengers on this bus.

not now.

not ever again

Maybe not but it would still be nice to have representatives of the club who don't do things that tarnish their reputations.

Fans too, but its not a perfeft world mate.

My son is 13 and he knows not to look up to players that do bad stuff off the pitch. He barely knows about it.

He is coached by loads of ex pro’s and im dont care if they are faithfull to their wife....of have a drink drive ban on record, because that does not come into what he does on a daily basis with my lad.

It's the opportunity cost though. Three managers tried and failed to figure out what to do with both him and Sigurdsson on the pitch. Regardless of his own personal performance, just having him around threw the balance (ok, attempts at balance) completely off. We didn't sign him to fill a particular role, but entirely for marketing, and sentiment. If he wasn't a boyhood Blue, we'd never even have dreamt of making an offer for him.

This is nonsense mate

Our only decent football this season came when Sam (well, Unsy) stumbled upon playing Rooney deeper with Gylfi in an advanced left role.

That team - with Gueye and Davies in midfield as well - had balance and Rooney and Sigurdsson linked up well.

Sam spouted his rubbish about not being able to play them together, yet the facts and stats for chances created etc and wins were totally the opposite of what he said.

Rooney's form dropped when Sigurdsson got injured, as there was no player to link Rooney to the forwards.

I also get the feeling that after all his past indiscretions, that Colleen may be the deciding factor in whether they go to the States or not.

Nail and head.

Totally agree. He's our highest earner and for that reason I feel there may have been instances where he's unfairly been kept in the squad.

Whereas, other players have rightfully been dropped from the starting XI based on similar or even better performances - it's an issue of money.

Put simply, we can't afford to keep picking a player on such high wages based purely on nostalgia; our top earners should be our best players.

Fans too, but its not a perfeft world mate.

My son is 13 and he knows not to look up to players that do bad stuff off the pitch. He barely knows about it.

He is coached by loads of ex pro’s and im dont care if they are faithfull to their wife....of have a drink drive ban on record, because that does not come into what he does on a daily basis with my lad.

I didn't say it did!

There are loads of players out there who have been model professionals out there. I would just prefer that type of player associated with my club that's all.

I do care about drink driving. Its one of the things that can boil my pee. Especially people who can afford to get a cab!

He was not, but he is now. Someone said Ronaldo was still tearing it up at 31, and another claimed Rooney would do the same. He totally would not. In his prime, sure, but not now.

They were talking about bale and his trophies etc rooney would have been remebered as a great of the game if he went to real or Barca when he left us .

Status
Not open for further replies.