2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years of substandardness mate.

Swapping arguably one of the best strikers in the land for Rooney.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to Rooney being here, but he's not Lukaku's replacement.

These are bad days and I was a youth in the days of Walter Smith.....
I have been lucky to see us win trophies and unfortunate to see our decline. I'm sure things will pick up soon, just criminal how the club went into the season not replacing Rom. We should have waited to sell him regardless of his length of contract. The idiot who pulled the trigger on that deal should be no where near our club. Should have threw 200k a week at him to stay one more season.

cons: when he gets played as a striker he's jogging around next to jags and piggy trying 60 yard Hollywood balls

again like I said not our worst player and hasn't been bad, but he is trying to do everyones job instead of sticking to his own

His best position for now is definiately as an attacking midfielder but he and Sigurdsson just like doing the same job in a team.

Pros: His best attribute is definiately his finishing. Still the top scorer at the club. He is definiately the best finisher from our long list of "strikers". He can sometimes pick a good pass like the one to Lennon yesterday. He actually will have a go at refs, something our captain(s) failed to do. Plus he is a very experiened pro...young players will benefit from his presence.

Cons: He consistently made some crap pass/gave away the ball in dangerous area and the opposition made counter attack from there. I think he did that quite often since he re-joined. He does not seem to stick to a position he just show up in anywhere he likes. He loses his pace and we are too slow in every attack as he is central to our finial third.
Trying to do Barkley's job of taking the ball off the panic hoof ball merchants Jags and Williams and get the ball moving, look at the options when he gets the ball it is none existent. Our old defence has caused panic through out, the whole reason Koeman played tight in the middle (which everyone sussed and took it wide and exposed the space behing the full backs).

Trying to do Barkley's job of taking the ball off the panic hoof ball merchants Jags and Williams and get the ball moving, look at the options when he gets the ball it is none existent. Our old defence has caused panic through out, the whole reason Koeman played tight in the middle (which everyone sussed and took it wide and exposed the space behing the full backs).
I agree. Even though we don't have a striker I think our problems are all rooted in the fact our defence is beyond awful.
They are barely fit enough to play for an Everton legends team.

He was ok till 14/15. 15/16 showed that he is done.

15/16 was the first season that he and Juan Mata had to team up in attack with two kids, a false 7, and a headless chicken. The season before we still had van Persie, Di Maria and Falcao. I doubt that without him Mata alone could lead us to the Champions League ahead of City, Arsenal or Spurs. We should have done better without a finished player disrupting our play shouldn't we?

I have been lucky to see us win trophies and unfortunate to see our decline. I'm sure things will pick up soon, just criminal how the club went into the season not replacing Rom. We should have waited to sell him regardless of his length of contract. The idiot who pulled the trigger on that deal should be no where near our club. Should have threw 200k a week at him to stay one more season.

The power of hindsight and sensible thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.