2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
responsible for the only moments of quality in what looked like a sunday league team, the through ball for lennon, and the ball for niasse, suffered in the second half from rhino's pretty strange subs, removing all pace and lowering the football iq of the side. Siggy might well be a better option, but the lad has to grow some balls and start demanding the football and dictating

responsible for the only moments of quality in what looked like a sunday league team, the through ball for lennon, and the ball for niasse, suffered in the second half from rhino's pretty strange subs, removing all pace and lowering the football iq of the side. Siggy might well be a better option, but the lad has to grow some balls and start demanding the football and dictating
He needs to bin off dropping back to play defensive mid. He does still have effortless ability but frustrating a lot of the time.

Couldnt understand the HT subs myself at the time, still don't.

He needs to bin off dropping back to play defensive mid. He does still have effortless ability but frustrating a lot of the time.

Couldnt understand the HT subs myself at the time, still don't.
I would have started with a midfield three like at cheslea, especially if you want to play gueye and davies, as neither can sit and be the deepest, so maybe rhino was trying to get that, but bringing niasse on??? crazy, he's okay with 15 mins to go, but he's so poor technically, plus kev was getting on the ball, lennon got behind his full back twice, you are just lowering the ability level of the team too much, I like Rhino, and everything I hear says he a progressive coach, but he blobbed it there

I would have started with a midfield three like at cheslea, especially if you want to play gueye and davies, as neither can sit and be the deepest, so maybe rhino was trying to get that, but bringing niasse on??? crazy, he's okay with 15 mins to go, but he's so poor technically, plus kev was getting on the ball, lennon got behind his full back twice, you are just lowering the ability level of the team too much, I like Rhino, and everything I hear says he a progressive coach, but he blobbed it there
Yeah thought Kev had a decent 45 mins and Lennon should've have had a peno. It was so one paced once they went off.

I tried to have faith in the experiment at the start of the season, but it is looking a little grim. I'll be fair to Wayne; he does some things well. He had two brilliant passes that very easily could have resulted in goals on a different night. The ball to Lennon demonstrated exactly why we need pace in the side- we need someone that can latch onto those passes. Every now an then his control is excellent. I feel that he could thrive in a side that did most of the work for him and allowed him to roam around. We don't have that chemistry, and we sure as hell don't have the players to compensate for his lack of positional sense.

The bad things I've noticed:

1. WAY TOO ONE FOOTED. Embarrassingly so at times.
2. He is awful with his back to the goal and creativity around the box. Every now and again he will have a decent exchange with someone around the box, but he tends to either lose control or make an awful decision. Sometimes he will hit a 40 yarder backwards when we are getting numbers forward and it drives me mad. This is the one and only area Sigurdsson has bested Rooney tbf.
3. Almost always guaranteed to give away a very dangerous counter attack.
4. Out of position frequently. I could live with that if he drove the ball up field, but he can't even do that. He stops play and looks to hit a 50 yard ball every time. If it isn't on, he hits it backwards or sideways. Slows down play frequently.

So we have a static player that is frequently out of position in a team that struggles to push the tempo. He only compounds the problems we have. I've said it before and I'll say it once more- we need a more dynamic player in the middle. Whether it's giving Kev or Vlasic a go (Kev is always moving and had some excellent games in the center last year) or taking a risk with the likes of Sandro or Davies in that position, we have to do something. I think Kev is our best bet until Barkley is back. I hope Vlasic is back soon.

I tried to have faith in the experiment at the start of the season, but it is looking a little grim. I'll be fair to Wayne; he does some things well. He had two brilliant passes that very easily could have resulted in goals on a different night. The ball to Lennon demonstrated exactly why we need pace in the side- we need someone that can latch onto those passes. Every now an then his control is excellent. I feel that he could thrive in a side that did most of the work for him and allowed him to roam around. We don't have that chemistry, and we sure as hell don't have the players to compensate for his lack of positional sense.

The bad things I've noticed:

1. WAY TOO ONE FOOTED. Embarrassingly so at times.
2. He is awful with his back to the goal and creativity around the box. Every now and again he will have a decent exchange with someone around the box, but he tends to either lose control or make an awful decision. Sometimes he will hit a 40 yarder backwards when we are getting numbers forward and it drives me mad. This is the one and only area Sigurdsson has bested Rooney tbf.
3. Almost always guaranteed to give away a very dangerous counter attack.
4. Out of position frequently. I could live with that if he drove the ball up field, but he can't even do that. He stops play and looks to hit a 50 yard ball every time. If it isn't on, he hits it backwards or sideways. Slows down play frequently.

So we have a static player that is frequently out of position in a team that struggles to push the tempo. He only compounds the problems we have. I've said it before and I'll say it once more- we need a more dynamic player in the middle. Whether it's giving Kev or Vlasic a go (Kev is always moving and had some excellent games in the center last year) or taking a risk with the likes of Sandro or Davies in that position, we have to do something. I think Kev is our best bet until Barkley is back. I hope Vlasic is back soon.

There are moments of quality but overall it just isn't good enough to be a starting player for a club with our supposed aspirations.

Status
Not open for further replies.