Watched the Bayern semi-final from '85 on youtube last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sitting in the Bullens that night. Seemed that we stayed for ages after the final whistle but when we were leaving and walking down Goodison Road the noise still coming from inside the ground was incredible. Goodness knows how long it took to clear Goodison that night. Makes me sad sometimes to watch the highlights though. It was a time (and I was young!) when you thought we'd continue to play and win like this forever.

I was there JDawg - one of the finest nights ever at the old lady ...she really roared that night. The Bayern bench were getting jibbed badly from the fans sat right behind them, I think we scared the crap out of them that night. Even when we went behind we knew (everyone knew, players, fans, ballboys) that we were gonna win, we were an unstoppable force.

I think I passed out in sheer delerium after the third went in.

Absolutely this .

It was an unbelievable evening but we were an unbelievable team then . When you watch the real top quality sides now who never know they're beaten but can really play a bit well that was us and not just that if they wanted to get physical we'd fight them .

Everybody said if Bayern get an away goal it's over but all of us , fans and players just believed . The crowd really was a 12th man the noise , support intensity and intimidation was a sight to behold. No waving of huge banners or witty flags just a load of Evertonians giving it to them.

I honestly don't think I've ever been at a game like that at Goodison, before or since it was just special . When that third went in the noise and elation was just incredible and the once the whistle went the Bayern side knew they'd been in a game . I think most blues of my generation Will always have that as their special game .

The final was almost an irrelevance, after that semi final there was simply no way we were going to lose and we didn't .

The only thing I regret about these years is that the playing great football , winning trophies and titles I didn't ever think it'd end so somehow although I enjoyed it didn't savour every moment . I loved it and they were special years but it was over in a flash .

I was sitting in the Bullens that night. Seemed that we stayed for ages after the final whistle but when we were leaving and walking down Goodison Road the noise still coming from inside the ground was incredible. Goodness knows how long it took to clear Goodison that night. Makes me sad sometimes to watch the highlights though. It was a time (and I was young!) when you thought we'd continue to play and win like this forever.
I know what you mean mate, about feeling a bit sad watching it. Seems..and was..such a long time ago now. I'm putting the album on again later, and the missus can ask me if I've been peeling onions again...

Was 10 in lower bullets, spent most of the match shitting myself cos the crowd was so noisy and massive and lots of pushing. Got worse after when I got carried off down the street by the surge of fans. Old man managed to grab me and we sheltered in a door way. Was the match good??

I think a little more detail on this particular story would be of interest. Where did the man grab you?

I know what you mean mate, about feeling a bit sad watching it. Seems..and was..such a long time ago now. I'm putting the album on again later, and the missus can ask me if I've been peeling onions again...

The age old question. Is it better to have loved and lost, than to have never won a trophy at all? Or something like that.

Was 13 in the Lower Gwladys, just center of the goal, sat on a bar with my other two mates. I remember getting shoved off the bar by the crowd surges every time we attacked. I completely missed Trevor Stevens goal after getting knocked off the bar and spending what seemed like an eternity trying to get to my feet. Boss game like.

Great post that.

We will all appreciate it more this time around though mate !!

I was there. Lower Bullens in line with 6 yard area at the Gwladys street end. Never forget the throwin where I think Jean-Marie pfaff came out and flapped as Sharpy flicked the ball on with his head and I can't remember who bundled it in but I remember literally the Bullens Road stand erupted and it felt like it was rocking forward and back. The atmosphere was electric. Only fiorentina a few seasons back came anywhere (but still nowhere) close to it.

I haven't watched the video for a very long time so I hope time hasn't played tricks with my memory!!

It was a fabulous atmosphere, absoluetly deafening and you could feel,the energy in the crowd like it was electricity. Never experienced anything like it before or since! I agree with you on the different styles, but even that game was soft compared to the decade earlier! Go onto YouTube and search for cup final 1970 and watch Chelsea versus Leeds. Possibly the most brutal game of football ever played! Most modern footballers would have fainted at the sight of the tackles flying in, and almost every player would have been banned and likely prosecuted! Even in a tiem when hard men, we re genuinely hard, it was a gruesome sight!
If you think the Final was rough, take a look at the Replay. The Final it was like an exhibition game compared to the replay.

I was in the Top Balcony near the back towards the Gladys with my Dad. First time in the Top Balcony (we were usually in the Lower Bullens) and I remember asking my Dad how safe it was, cos we were so high and it felt like the whole ground was shaking! I remember the Gladys singing 'are you watching manchester!' near the end, it was deafening. That was a special night, and a special cup run, I remember we used to get home and watch the highlights after each game, it was probably the latest I was allowed to stay up, as I was only 8.

Andy Gray epitomized that team and that era for me. I was gutted when he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.