Watched the Bayern semi-final from '85 on youtube last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@johnnydawg68 Well you are the most avid of Evertonians. Not only do I see you in and out of the Youth Thread all the time but you are also watching the back catalogue. Unbelievable stuff.

I bow down to you.

Great team and great times to be an Evertonian then. My whole family is Red, I am the Blue sheep of the family. The tussles around Liverpool and Everton at that time were immense

You are too kind my Friend. I am a bit obsessed by the Toffs it's true.

I was there JDawg - one of the finest nights ever at the old lady ...she really roared that night. The Bayern bench were getting jibbed badly from the fans sat right behind them, I think we scared the crap out of them that night. Even when we went behind we knew (everyone knew, players, fans, ballboys) that we were gonna win, we were an unstoppable force.

I think I passed out in sheer delerium after the third went in.

I remember a few things from that night and this is one of the most vivid. Half time was like a welcome break to the intensity but there was, like you say, no feeling of panic. We just knew.

Greatest EFC night ever.

...I'd seen highlights before but found the entire broadcast. This was before my time (I'm old enough, I just wasn't an Evertonian at that age over here in the States yet).

Some thoughts:
  • The game is SO much different these days. Physically, players these days are so much more athletic. It's clear very few of them actually, you know, worked out much.
  • The game was much more physical though oddly. None of this falling over if you get within a yard of someone. It was refreshing to watch a match where the whistle didn't blow every 30 seconds for a foul.
  • Everton played like a pack of wolves then. Very quick, very aggressive, very much in synch. They seemed to move as one up and down the pitch.
  • Trevor Steven by all accounts was a fantastic footballer, but he had a nightmare of a game...right up until he scored the 3rd and final goal.
  • The second goal by Gray was an absolute howler by the Bayern keeper. He must thank God every day there was no social media then.
  • Andy Gray really was a tiger. I imagine many Evertonians were gutted when he was cast aside for Gary Lineker the following year. I would have fumed at the time, even though Lineker scored like a million goals in '86.
  • I'm surprised Goodison didn't fall down that night. The noise must have been incredible inside the stadium. I believe it was Martin Tyler doing the commentary, and he talked about the cacophony when the Blues took the lead in the game and the tie. It was 32 years ago and I wasn't even a supporter yet, and I was buzzing just watching it. And I knew the outcome!
  • I was surprised at how few names I recognized on the Bayern side. Lothar Matthäus is a very familiar name of course, but he was the only (West) German International for them at the time. I'm surprised the young lad Ludwig Kögl never really hit it big. I'd never heard of him, and a little research shows he only got two international caps, although he did score in a European final in '87.
  • Also I'm pretty sure Kendall didn't even use one sub! Was there only one sub available in those days?
If you were there, tell us all about it.
Talking of commentary, if you get a chance, try and find the original radio commentary.
Everton made an album at the end of that season, with bits of all the big games, and commentary by Clive Tyldsley and Gary Bloom.
I still put it on the turntable when I'm in a good mood with Everton, and Tyldsley's commentary in the Munich game still makes my hairs stand up.

Talking of commentary, if you get a chance, try and find the original radio commentary.
Everton made an album at the end of that season, with bits of all the big games, and commentary by Clive Tyldsley and Gary Bloom.
I still put it on the turntable when I'm in a good mood with Everton, and Tyldsley's commentary in the Munich game still makes my hairs stand up.

This?

Good stuff @johnnydawg68! I'm American as well and youtube has been a fantastic resource for the 'older' stuff - I remember watching the same match (the semi-final) and my wife thinking I'd absolutely lost my mind watching 30 year old broadcasts. She's probably right.

I'm glad I'm not alone!!! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.