"Watch Classic Matches Again"

At Maine Road, 3 November 1962

Not all grounds could always accomodate cameras on the half way line in the early 1960s. For this game at a gloomy Maine Road, Walley Barnes and the camera crew are tucked away in one corner. Luckily both goals are up "our" end. Harry Dowd is playing his 8th game of the season after initially coming into the side to replace the suspended Bert Trautmann. Everton have dropped skipper Roy Vernon. Good early saves by Gordon West. Dennis Stevens (not Johnny Morrissey as stated) finds the net for Everton with a good shot but it is strangely disallowed. City take the lead when Peter Dobing is set up by a great pass from Neil Young (1-0). Half time. Everton nearly score when Dowd deflects an Alex Young shot on to the post. "Come on Wignall, get hold of it" shouts a frustrated Everton supporter. They do equalise when the maligned Frank Wignall, in his only appearance of the season, taps in from close range after Dowd can only parry Ray Veall's cross (1-1).

Ace Major,and we didn't get turned over here either!!!

A number of the team,Howie and Joe Royle believed the ref was "bought" by the Greeks,to be fair even now with VAR knowing our luck that would still have been turned downlol

Crowds massive, nearly overspilling onto pitch. Do you know if we took any away to that game Dario? Also did we take a following away to Inter Milan as well when there was a dodgy ref?

Crowds massive, nearly overspilling onto pitch. Do you know if we took any away to that game Dario? Also did we take a following away to Inter Milan as well when there was a dodgy ref?
My old man went to Milan which was Colin Harveys debut, he was more incensed about Vernons disallowed goal at Goodison which he still swears was onside!!,I know he looked into going to Athens,didn't go though,different times and travel was tough back then,I've read somewhere we had approx 500 over there, think the ground only held around 25K,mad when you think what would happen in a situation like that nowadays!!

My old man went to Milan which was Colin Harveys debut, he was more incensed about Vernons disallowed goal at Goodison which he still swears was onside!!,I know he looked into going to Athens,didn't go though,different times and travel was tough back then,I've read somewhere we had approx 500 over there, think the ground only held around 25K,mad when you think what would happen in a situation like that nowadays!!

Cheers mate. That stadium looks like it's got about 75k lol

Bet your dad loved Milan, one of my favourite stadiums. Hope to see Everton there one day

A mate of mine went and said it was a frightening experience. Got pelted with stones, coins and anything they could lay their hands on. Glad to get out of there in one piece. Told me the ref gave us nothing all game, nothing new there then !