"Watch Classic Matches Again"

Rare footage of the derby win in May 1985. For many years I'd had it in my head Liverpool missed a penalty when it was 1-0 to us not at 0-0 but this vid proves otherwise. It's not heard on this, but it was the night their fans were singing 'one Norman Whiteside' to us in honour of his FA Cup final winner against us 5 days earlier.

It also includes a post match interview with two gentlemen of the game, Howard Kendall and Joe Fagan, discussing our runaway title win with Fagan heaping praise on Everton and also discussing Liverpool's doomed European Cup final the following week.

Remember the rs singing ' who put the ball in the Everton net, Whiteside'. They didnt want us to beat Utd cos it would have meant us winning the double, which they hadnt done. They hated us for the success we were having and knew what we would be like until Heysel put paid it. Dont let any rs tell you different, they were cheering for Man U in the cup final.

Remember the rs singing ' who put the ball in the Everton net, Whiteside'. They didnt want us to beat Utd cos it would have meant us winning the double, which they hadnt done. They hated us for the success we were having and knew what we would be like until Heysel put paid it. Dont let any rs tell you different, they were cheering for Man U in the cup final.
Absolute gent Joe Fagan,always showed humility,so sad his very last game ended up being at Heysel,how the current incumbent "over there"could learn off him,chalk and cheese though.

So true I always hit the ones my age with that little fact . In 85 you wanted the mancs to beat us at Wembley 100% true. They always come back with I wearnt arsed shout but I know and they know they were desperate for us not to do the treble that year. That’s the difference is at least we’re honest and say I don’t you to win nothing . But they play on the Merseyside shout of as long as Merseyside wins . But behind closed doors there desparate for us to get beat.

Carragher himself has told this story many times that when him, his dad and brothers got back to Liverpool after that defeat to a Man Utd, there was loads of reds fans milling about around the coach park gleefully dishing out stick to the clearly gutted Blues.

So true I always hit the ones my age with that little fact . In 85 you wanted the mancs to beat us at Wembley 100% true. They always come back with I wearnt arsed shout but I know and they know they were desperate for us not to do the treble that year. That’s the difference is at least we’re honest and say I don’t you to win nothing . But they play on the Merseyside shout of as long as Merseyside wins . But behind closed doors there desparate for us to get beat.
They were all making massive celebration cakes when we played Wimbledon to stay up.....

At Maine Road, 3 November 1962

Not all grounds could always accomodate cameras on the half way line in the early 1960s. For this game at a gloomy Maine Road, Walley Barnes and the camera crew are tucked away in one corner. Luckily both goals are up "our" end. Harry Dowd is playing his 8th game of the season after initially coming into the side to replace the suspended Bert Trautmann. Everton have dropped skipper Roy Vernon. Good early saves by Gordon West. Dennis Stevens (not Johnny Morrissey as stated) finds the net for Everton with a good shot but it is strangely disallowed. City take the lead when Peter Dobing is set up by a great pass from Neil Young (1-0). Half time. Everton nearly score when Dowd deflects an Alex Young shot on to the post. "Come on Wignall, get hold of it" shouts a frustrated Everton supporter. They do equalise when the maligned Frank Wignall, in his only appearance of the season, taps in from close range after Dowd can only parry Ray Veall's cross (1-1).

What amazing interview at the end with Howard and Joe Fagan. Shame what happened the following Wednesday.