VAR -Gordon's goal v Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did it take so long for VAR to not give this goal - the assistant Referee certainly got it so wrong - I suspect VAR were trying to look for anything to back him up to save his embarrassment ? As it's so obvious with the naked eye, he was easily onside ???

View attachment 188300
I think about 3 or 4 seconds earlier, one of the players (may have been Gordon) was in an offside position, but didn't go for the ball. I presume they were checking that phase.

Whatever the reason, fortunately they got it right on this occassion.

Linesmen will always stick their flag up now if there is even a possibility of offside as a courtesy reminder to everyone that every goal is scrutinized regardless - that is what VAR has done to the game.

The Linesman is basically a ceromonial position these days.

They are exactly doing that and they're not supposed to. It is supposed to be clear and obvious error, not re-referee the entire move to get the outcome they desire.
Think for every goal that is scored VAR has to do those checks hence why even after a goal is validly scored the referee will not allow a quick restart until he has been given the all clear by the var official first which is why they always have their hand on their ear on the halfway line

Yes I know what you mean, that his awful decision was over turned anyway, however if the linesman can't get simple stuff like that correct than its very worrying because there are times when VAR can't get involved. VAR has made officials worse than ever
Good point there. Yes, they now think have a 'get out of jail free' card and maybe are becoming a bit too lax.

Sat in the upper bullens in where the away allocation is when they take the full amount, literally clear as day that he was onside. The only thing that was a doubt was whether Gordon was goalside of the keeper when the shot came in, which felt unlikely. In general I wasn't fussed about it going to VAR as I was that sure he was onside. Madness that the lino gave it as offside in the first place.

I think the fact that the lino who's stood in a perfect position has given that as offside is most definitely an issue to be honest.

He's actually not. If you look at the pic in the first post he's about 2 yards deeper than he should be. He should be in line with the last Palace defender so cannot actually make a proper decision.

So he was in the wrong position and then gave a wrong decision, as well as being wrong about Zaha in the first half.

Var done its job perfectly here, the score staying at 1-0 could have let Palace get back in the game rather than being 2-0 down.

Status
Not open for further replies.