VAR -Gordon's goal v Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably more of an issue for those who like to go on all day about some sort of conspiracy against Everton, than those who don't, i'm guessing. Bad decision, rectified by video evidence, outcome proved it was a goal.
But bigger is, we are trusting these people to do a job and VAR can't always correct it like it fortunately did on the weekend, that isn't even a close call, he's absolutely miles onside.

But bigger is, we are trusting these people to do a job and VAR can't always correct it like it fortunately did on the weekend, that isn't even a close call, he's absolutely miles onside.
But it did correct it. And any other situation, for anyone, where somebody is clearly onside like Gordon was will also be rectified. The decision went our way, unlike, say Brighton, where a non-penalty was reviewed by VAR and given against them. I doubt many of them are currently happy and saying: "well, at least the officials on the pitch got it right at the time.".

Was it three minutes? It seemed much shorter...and I imagine if there was a long delay it was because the goal actually came all the way back from Pickford, so a lot happened in between.
Watching back the full 90mins video available on the website; the goal was scored at 62:19 and the ref awarded the goal at 63:44. So 1m25s.

I can only assume that once they check the initial offside they also check if there has been any other infringement in the build up to the goal as well like a foul or something that could potentially rule it out so maybe that’s why it takes longer

But it did correct it. And any other situation, for anyone, where somebody is clearly onside like Gordon was will also be rectified. The decision went our way, unlike, say Brighton, where a non-penalty was reviewed by VAR and given against them. I doubt many of them are currently happy and saying: "well, at least the officials on the pitch got it right at the time.".
Yes I know what you mean, that his awful decision was over turned anyway, however if the linesman can't get simple stuff like that correct than its very worrying because there are times when VAR can't get involved. VAR has made officials worse than ever

In a way it is a positive, in favour of VAR.

If VAR was not around, it would have definitely been chalked off.

Just like cricket and other sports, video technology has been brought in to eliminate obvious and clear errors from the officials, they are human it will happen with or without VAR. Even the best officials will make clear and atrocious errors and this is brought in to make the game fairer.

The reason why it has not worked is because:

1: Fans inside and outside of the stadium do not see or hear the process (maybe fans outside will see the replays being shown but there is no obvious this is why we are showing this angle, this is why we are slowing it down, etc.)
2: They try to be too fancy with it, when it is not designed for that. i.e. the offside lines, etc.
3: Part of point 1 but they also, on a lot of occasions, I have seen take away the context of the angle, speed. Take Allan last season, to initially show the on-field ref the still shot of the contact was, at worst, a misjudgment of the technology. The order should be, in real time, slow motion for impact areas and then a still shot if is still a 50/50 call.
4: Obvious bias to certain clubs being even made more obvious by all of the above.

I can only assume that once they check the initial offside they also check if there has been any other infringement in the build up to the goal as well like a foul or something that could potentially rule it out so maybe that’s why it takes longer
They are exactly doing that and they're not supposed to. It is supposed to be clear and obvious error, not re-referee the entire move to get the outcome they desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.