V.A.R

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you,re absolutely certain that they stopped the picture at the exact millisecond the ball moved? If not then it is again an inaccurate science at best and even last night there were arguments about whether the were indeed correct.
I have no issues with what happened at all, even if you think it isn't 100% (obviously it isn't) there can be no doubt that it is more accurate than the naked eye.

Cheer n go mad for a goal then remember there's VAR and go hang on let's wait a few minutes n wonder is it a goal or not!

Just leave football as it is
That's it for me it will kill certain moments of joy in the game. I think it will help clear up some mistakes. What concerns me is how slow it is and the process, the amount of subjective situations it will look at look at. Take the other night with the Derby goal even with numerous replays they couldn't make a decision on an offside, after two minutes, in that case it was obviously not clear and obvious. Also will refs be going to a screen like in the world cup? Because I felt refs went with the decision of the Var ref most of the time even after they'd looked at it because essentially most refs are cowards. They need to make the process clearer and faster because you could end up with the game stopping and starting every five minutes to check something..

Cheer n go mad for a goal then remember theres VAR and go hang on lets wait a few minutes n wonder is it a goal or not!

Just leave football as it is

Football as it is isn't very enjoyable for us though is it... How many times a season could we have got extra points if the correct decision had been given, most commonly in games against the "Big 6"?

People should give VAR chance. I will accept your concerns if it's been in a couple of seasons and Everton for example have seen little to no benefit from it and it's disrupted a goal celebration for us on a few occasions. But if not, I am all for it personally. Think it will help us close the gap on those above, and we need all the help we can get as throwing millions at bringing in new signings hasn't exactly worked so far!

Let's be clear, VAR is being brought in because of the money involved in the game now. It has been decided that this, rather than enjoyment of the game and the spontaneity and immediate excitement generated by a goal, is what is imortant . For me the downsides are massive -- the loss of momentum, the hesitation in celebrating a goal, the numerous stops likely since refs will continually seek to cover their backsides and be asking for a look at VAR too often etc.
And of course, one other effect will be fewer goals being scored, because in the build up to many goals there will have been a contentious issue and in future more goals will be chalked off.

As poor as we played today, we should have had 2 clear penalties & conceded a goal that Stevie Wonder would have disallowed.

I’ve always been of the opinion that only ex professional players should ref at the top level. Get rid of these inbreeds.

...but we should have had VAR at least 10 years ago.

So the televised game today has VAR.....

Our televised game yesterday didn’t.

We concede the most blatant handball goal since Maradona. Even more so..
If that happened to that lot or any of the Sky 6, there would be an inquest.

Our gutless attitude on the pitch comes from the top.

Let's be clear, VAR is being brought in because of the money involved in the game now. It has been decided that this, rather than enjoyment of the game and the spontaneity and immediate excitement generated by a goal, is what is imortant . For me the downsides are massive -- the loss of momentum, the hesitation in celebrating a goal, the numerous stops likely since refs will continually seek to cover their backsides and be asking for a look at VAR too often etc.
And of course, one other effect will be fewer goals being scored, because in the build up to many goals there will have been a contentious issue and in future more goals will be chalked off.

Most of this is just assertion without evidence.

If you’ve watched any Italian games you’ll know that the ‘excitement’ can go both ways. It can actually increase the excitement in a game.

The evidence so far suggests it’s used infrequently in a game. Not ‘continually’. Again most Italian games I watch have 1 or 2 on average.

It’s being brought in because many people are appalled at the inability of referees to do their job to an acceptable level. Cf Oliver yesterday: how can every single Everton player see that, from all angles, but neither he nor his assistant can see it. It’s either incompetence or inability or both. Most fans want human error affecting matches and seasons reduced.

And there is no evidence that it reduces the number of goals scored. Again it can go both ways. Eg penalties will both be given where they wouldn’t otherwise be given and taken away when they would otherwise be given. Not to mention that the aim of officiating football matches isn’t to maximise goals scored its to make correct decisions and ensure a level playing field for both sides.

Anyone who has seen video technology in use in other sports (tennis, cricket, rugby union, NFL) has seen the overwhelming positives it brings to each sport. The huge drop in "bad" decisions altering the outcome of matches in all those sports is well-documented, to the point now that when the odd "bad" decision stands (the recent non-call on the pass interference in the Saints v Rams NFL game last week, for instance) it is HUGE news and draws considerable discussion.

Currently in football most games have multiple bad decisions in them. There's simply no sensible argument that reducing the number and regularity of these bad decisions is a negative move. Sure the PROCESS of using VAR will need refining of the first couple seasons (rugby has changed the range of instances in which it can be used, and altered who can trigger it's use - the video official can alert the ref to an issue at any time, and the ref can choose to refer to the video official at his discretion. The system works well), but you only have to look at the last World cup to see that VAR can be applied to football without compromising any of the excitement manifestly improve the game.

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but was it possible the ref could’ve overturned his decision for their 2nd goal if he’d have seen it afterwards on the big screen?

I know it’s irrelevant now, but I was just wondering if that’s against the rules...

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but was it possible the ref could’ve overturned his decision for their 2nd goal if he’d have seen it afterwards on the big screen?

I know it’s irrelevant now, but I was just wondering if that’s against the rules...

It is against the rules.

Slightly different but I’ve seen them do a review in rugby where the ref hasn’t gone to TMO, it’s then been shown on the big screen and then he has reviewed it on TMO. A bit naughty that.

So if he’d seen the incident again in the big screen and realised he’d made a mistake, he couldn’t have disallowed the goal anyway? Even before the game kicked off again

Status
Not open for further replies.