Utd and Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....we looked a long way off Spurs when they scored 6 against us at home this season.

Some folk are a bit giddy at the moment and whilst we should be positive, we also need to manage expectation. Lots of work to be done and we are very inconsistent but it looks like we’re going in the right direction.

.....we looked a long way off Spurs when they scored 6 against us at home this season.

Some folk are a bit giddy at the moment and whilst we should be positive, we also need to manage expectation. Lots of work to be done and we are very inconsistent but it looks like we’re going in the right direction.

That spurs result was a bit of an anomaly. We could have and should have been 2-0 up in that game. If the referee doesn't cancel out our goal and Pickford doesn't make that error, then I highly doubt we conceded six. Not saying we would have won (we were setup to be very open that day - maybe we would have gone a bit more defensive with a 2 goal lead?...who knows) but I think we would have been far more competitive.

Coming so soon after the Pickford derby, after he made that blunder to let Son score I think the heads dropped across the whole team. Generally we have been ok against the top sides this year and this should mean we are capable of scoring a lot more points than we have. This kind of indicates we currently have concentration and motivation issues getting up for the games like Fulham. We have to address that for next season to improve and if we do there is no reason why we can't be in the mix. However saying that there is little reason to say we won't be towards the bottom if we play like we did around Christmas.

The trick is to be level headed and not be too surprised or upset if it swings either way.

I think both these clubs are facing a big rebuild if we are brave and ambitious as a club we can get amongst these 2 in a battle for 4-6 place

Man Utd are a complete mess but it's been on the cards for for a few seasons now.

Read something today about them offloading a bunch of players to bring in £150m and then spending up to £250m+.
Speculative crap and what they don't seem to realise is that it isn't that easy to get rid of the players they don't want.

Sanchez, for example, is on £500k a week and has 3 years left on his deal - who the hell is going to want to take him on even at half that money?
Other players are clearly past their best ( e.g. Ashley Young) and others who are at the end of their contracts so will walk for free (e.g. Mata, Herrera(?))

The saving grace for them is that financially they have the muscle to make some huge signings but they're not the attraction they once were and missing out on CL will mean they'll miss out on some of the top talent.

Arsenal are in the fight for a top 4 spot on two fronts so will have an advantage when it comes to potential signings.

Chelsea still have this transfer ban hanging over them and will be up the creek without a paddle if Hazard decides he wants to go.

Spurs - it's been all about the stadium last few windows but it's no point having the NWHL if your team doesn't qualify for the CL next season. Have to spend IMO on at least a couple of big signings but much they spend will be dependent on the fee's rec'd for Alderweirweld and Eriksen (if he goes). Levy is shrewd and I can't see him just splashing the cash.

Certainly an opportunity to get amongst that lot but it will be interesting to see what Wolves do this summer.
Good manager, nice football and a solid first season in the PL to build on. Their owners are wealthy and have big ambitions - plans to extend stadium to 50k and I think they've said something about becoming bigger than man city - so they'll have the same desire to break into the top six.

Very important transfer window coming up ....

Yeah the future looks brighter for us then us does United, and if Chelsea boot Sarri its back to square one for them.

Cant wait for next season, something i didnt imagine saying a month or so back.

We qualified for 4th with what, iirc, was the lowest ever total of 64pts. Do we all of a sudden think we can -over the next season pick up another 20 or so extra. A good target, but a hard thing to do.
And some want us in the Thursday Cup as well.
Like I said its good to be aimiing high, but lets just finish off the season, try to have a decent window and then go 1 game at a time and look again when the clocks go back.

That spurs result was a bit of an anomaly. We could have and should have been 2-0 up in that game. If the referee doesn't cancel out our goal and Pickford doesn't make that error, then I highly doubt we conceded six. Not saying we would have won (we were setup to be very open that day - maybe we would have gone a bit more defensive with a 2 goal lead?...who knows) but I think we would have been far more competitive.

Coming so soon after the Pickford derby, after he made that blunder to let Son score I think the heads dropped across the whole team. Generally we have been ok against the top sides this year and this should mean we are capable of scoring a lot more points than we have. This kind of indicates we currently have concentration and motivation issues getting up for the games like Fulham. We have to address that for next season to improve and if we do there is no reason why we can't be in the mix. However saying that there is little reason to say we won't be towards the bottom if we play like we did around Christmas.

The trick is to be level headed and not be too surprised or upset if it swings either way.

Thanks for posting that, saved me time doing it. I think the massive error so soon after the derby one really hit us. If we took a point from them and beat or took a point from spurs I really think we wouldn’t have imploded as bad, we would have 7th sewn up and I wouldn’t be soiling my pants every week thinking city might slip up.

we can't judge our season on a few great results of late, over the season as a whole we have been a bit crap, and I think some are thinking we're better than we actually are because of the teams we've beat of late.

Now, Silva looks to have rectified some of worst bits of our game, and hopefully we can get consistency next season. The good thing for me now though is, I've gone from being all meh, to now looking forward to next season.

We are miles off those sides in points terms when its still acknowledged that they have all been crap to varying degrees.

Arsenal won't spend a great deal again and Chelsea have the transfer ban and will lose Hazard and maybe one or two others. Utd certainly have issues, OGS is a fundamentally bad appointment and that squad is lacking in quality.

BUT we must do our taking on the pitch and treat every game like a cup final. We need that zeal and drive coming from Silva down and also to be backed up with more of the right players coming in. I can't understand how sides like the RS and City with bags of quality decide to fight for every ball and inch of grass for 95 minutes and all of the sides playing catch up don't at least try to replicate in terms of effort. If its fitness, get it sorted.

I still think the mental set-up at the club is such that a decent win or a run of wins gives everyone the right to have a day off and not show up, Fulham being the prime example. Let's see the attitude today for starters. Last Sunday will be rendered almost completely facile if they just decide another afternoon stroll in London is the order of the day.

The remainder of this season is one thing, but such dramatic yo-yo performances and results have to be demonically eliminated, nobody can tolerate or accept that if we have even a slim chance of closing that gap.

I actually think Arsenal are in a better condition than Chelsea. Emery is top class and will continue to improve the team next season, especially if they win the Europa and have CL football. Any team with Lacazette and Aubameyang in it shouldn’t have a problem staying in the top 6.

Chelsea are probably losing Hazard though and could have a transfer ban. If they keep Sarri they’ll be vulnerable and if they sack him then a new manager could be an unknown quantity. I don’t think it’s the same situation though where Conte picked up Mourinho’s title winning team basically added Kante and won the title again. This squad doesn’t even have a proper striker in it and some of the key players in it like Willian Luiz Pedro look to be on the decline. Would be a huge job for any new manager especially without Hazard.

They could definitely be vulnerable as well as United if Solskjaer messes up. We should look to start next season as we’re finishing this one and really try and be up amongst that top 6. If we hadn’t have taken 2 months off this season we could have been.

Obviously it’s all about what we do in the transfer market as to whether we compete with the top 6. At the end of the day though, as of now we are 14 pts behind Man U, 16 pts behind Arsenal and 17 pts behind Chelsea (all 3 have a game in hand on us as well) and they’ve all supposedly had poor seasons. I think bridging the gap isn’t going to be as easy as we may think.

Status
Not open for further replies.