Usmanov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here think Usmanov and Moshiri are here purely to make a quick buck?

No me neither.

They are here to live out their dream of building one of the most successful football clubs in world football.
This is a hobby for them not an investment.

Spot on. Football at any level is a hobby/ego trip.

The only two ways to make money are 1) Potentially if you had another business that could benefit through the exposure or 2) if somehow in the future the premier league evolves to the american system of greater wage control and removing relegation threat. But even 1) at some point has to be paid for at a commercial rate and 2) seems impossible to predict

Same for the bew stadium. It's a great ego trip and important and great to the club but it's hard to see it paying off for us in anything like the short to medium term. Do we have 50k+ regular match going fans? Is there the corporate demand for all the lounges and boxes? The RS plus the mancs have the region cornered.

Likewise I know a trend is to have more intermediate level hospitality - so more peoples club than the Dixie lounge - but we have one of the poorest supporter bases in the country. Unlike the London clubs we cant bank on walk-up tourists.

There's no wider cash to be made at Bramley from non-stadium stuff. We've leased a bit of land for a stadium and its bits and pieces. Any wider ideas for flats or whatever have to be done on land that would need to be paid for separately with Peel. And even then there's no pot of gold.

It's part ego trip and social status, but it's delusional to think they aren't looking for a return on investment. I just hope we're in a better place by the time they exit.

It's part ego trip and social status, but it's delusional to think they aren't looking for a return on investment. I just hope we're in a better place by the time they exit.

It's very difficult to make a profit on a football club nowadays unless you were the one who bought it on the cheap. Will Abramovich get all the money he pumped in back? The only thing is if inflation and TV money keeps growing then eventually he might, but that 1 billion he pumped in back when, with inflation will probably outstrip it still.

Our neighbours and utd owners did well buying them on the cheap when they already had decent enough teams and high incomes I suppose, but how many people are going to buy a club for 1 billion and then still be expected to plough in money.

It's very difficult to make a profit on a football club nowadays unless you were the one who bought it on the cheap. Will Abramovich get all the money he pumped in back? The only thing is if inflation and TV money keeps growing then eventually he might, but that 1 billion he pumped in back when, with inflation will probably outstrip it still.

Our neighbours and utd owners did well buying them on the cheap when they already had decent enough teams and high incomes I suppose, but how many people are going to buy a club for 1 billion and then still be expected to plough in money.

Don't forget the indirect financial and non-financial returns too; clearer in the case of City, PSG etc. Hard to measure from the outside.

Our neighbors and utd owners did well buying them on the cheap when they already had decent enough teams and high incomes I suppose, but how many people are going to buy a club for 1 billion and then still be expected to plough in money.

Well you have to think of a football club as a community business and the very least make it self sustainable. That is what all clubs have done even Chelsea and City. They initially invested to increase the value of the club by winning trophies, CL and getting top world football commercial deals. The pay back for owners is increasing the size and value of the asset overall. Its what CIty, Chelsea, Utd, Arsneal, Mordor, Spurs have done.

We looked poised for this type of investment when the take over happened, however we badly managed it and instead of increasing the value of the club we invested to actually get worse and have been leaking money to do it, making the business unsustainable and requiring remedial action. We have had a least four reboots at this stage, our latest a number of weeks ago.

We have been flawed in the competence of the management of the takeover and spent a hell of a lot money to stand still or arguably get worse. Its been a poorly managed takeover thus far. I dont doubt the good intentions of the takeover, but its been incompetently managed. With no determinable plan, or no conviction in a plan or philosophy. We have flip flopped on recruitment and managers leaving us with with a rag tag bunch of players acquired by 4-5 managers and no consistency or plan in balancing it. I think that is very clear, the whole thing has been very badly managed by the owner and board - thus far.

Its not what you need to do to get ahead, the whole thing has been a litany of mistakes one after the other.

Last edited:
Well you have to think of a football club as a community business and the very least make it self sustainable. That is what all clubs have done even Chelsea and City. They initially invested to increase the value of the club by winning trophies, CL and getting top world football commercial deals. The pay back for owners is increasing the size and value of the asset overall. Its what CIty, Chelsea, Utd, Arsneal, Mordor, Spurs have done.

We looked poised for this type of investment when the take over happened, however we badly managed it and instead of increasing the value of the club we invested to actually get worse and have been leaking money to do it, making the business unsustainable and requiring remedial action. We have had a least four reboots at this stage, our latest a number of weeks ago.

We have been flawed in the competence of the management of the takeover and spent a hell of a lot money to stand still or arguably get worse. Its been a poorly managed takeover thus far. I dont doubt the good intentions of takeover, but its been incompetently managed. with no determinable plan, or no conviction in a plan or philosophy we have flip flopped on recruitment and managers leaving us with with a rag tag bunch of players acquired by 4-5 managers and no consistency in balancing it. I think that is very clear, the whole thing has been very badly managed by the owner and board - thus far.

Its not what you need to do to get ahead, the whole thing has been a litany of mistakes one after the other.
This. In its entirety.

The only two ways to make money are 1) Potentially if you had another business that could benefit through the exposure or 2) if somehow in the future the premier league evolves to the american system of greater wage control and removing relegation threat. But even 1) at some point has to be paid for at a commercial rate and 2) seems impossible to predict

Same for the bew stadium. It's a great ego trip and important and great to the club but it's hard to see it paying off for us in anything like the short to medium term. Do we have 50k+ regular match going fans? Is there the corporate demand for all the lounges and boxes? The RS plus the mancs have the region cornered.

Likewise I know a trend is to have more intermediate level hospitality - so more peoples club than the Dixie lounge - but we have one of the poorest supporter bases in the country. Unlike the London clubs we cant bank on walk-up tourists.

There's no wider cash to be made at Bramley from non-stadium stuff. We've leased a bit of land for a stadium and its bits and pieces. Any wider ideas for flats or whatever have to be done on land that would need to be paid for separately with Peel. And even then there's no pot of gold.
I don't think we would be far off 50,000. I've been on the waiting list for season ticket waiting list for 3 years same as my.3 lads. We go.the game when we can and get obstructed views. A lot of people won't shell out for an obstruction in front of you. Pricing can make a difference too. Went the 2 carabo cup games was £5 for under 20s and £10 for under 25s. I was amazed to see so many local young lads at those games. So I do think despite the RS success that we have s good chance of filling that new stadium.

Everton was bought in the 90’s valued 30 million and recently sold valued 350 million.

In 2006 Villa was bought for 62m and sold in 2014 for 200m.

Usmanov (red and white holdings) bought into Arsenal for 75m and sold for 550.

The PL is lifting all boats and provided you can stay in it, even at a standstill the value of PL clubs has been increasing exponentially.

Some believe this is unsustainable but others see the inevitable TV rights drifting to tech giants who can stream, protect the content and fully exploit the international potential as the zenith. Sports rights are door into main street tv audiences for the tech companies so they may be willing pay a premium.

Usmanov, who owns tech companies and had a stake in Facebook might just think there is more money to be made in football.

We have been flawed in the competence of the management of the takeover and spent a hell of a lot money to stand still or arguably get worse. Its been a poorly managed takeover thus far. I dont doubt the good intentions of the takeover, but its been incompetently managed. with no determinable plan, or no conviction in a plan or philosophy. We have flip flopped on recruitment and managers leaving us with with a rag tag bunch of players acquired by 4-5 managers and no consistency or plan in balancing it. I think that is very clear, the whole thing has been very badly managed by the owner and board - thus far.

Couldn't the same thing have been said about City when they got lucky? A mishmash of managers with some good players coming in and loads of not so good players. Wasn't Mancini the turning point?

Moshiri has been throwing money at us in the hope that it'll 'pay off.' In reality he hasn't got much of a clue but there again neither did the City owners. Ancelloti is the game changer in my opinion and it think that was down to the 'help/advice' from Usminov. I feel we're definitely moving in the direction of muscling into the big time again. But at the same time I think we'll come under more scrutiny in the near future as those that control LFC, United and Arsenal wont take too kindly to a new moneybags kid on the block.

Couldn't the same thing have been said about City when they got lucky? A mishmash of managers with some good players coming in and loads of not so good players. Wasn't Mancini the turning point?

Moshiri has been throwing money at us in the hope that it'll 'pay off.' In reality he hasn't got much of a clue but there again neither did the City owners. Ancelloti is the game changer in my opinion and it think that was down to the 'help/advice' from Usminov. I feel we're definitely moving in the direction of muscling into the big time again. But at the same time I think we'll come under more scrutiny in the near future as those that control LFC, United and Arsenal wont take too kindly to a new moneybags kid on the block.

I dont think they did get lucky, they made good decisions with their investment. They entered Europe in their first season, won a trophy and invested in players like Aguero, Toure, Silva, etc quite early. Hughes was the manager when they arrived they made one change bringing Mancini in before hitting the stratosphere. They made good decisions in investing and managers. Every manager they have appointed since Hughes has won the league and qualified for the CL. We are on our being kind 4th reboot, with not one player the ilk of Aguero or a Silva.

We may have struck gold with Carlo based on his pedigree, but he hasnt been here a wet week yet so lets not take anything for granted. Even if he is good, are we likely to smile at our losses and see the same investment again in the playing squad to improve, i dont think we can personally.

City made good decisions, we have made massively poor decisions and arent in arses roar of threatening Wolves or Leicester never mind challenging for Europe.

I just dont see what we have done as necessary to improve or comparible to what Chelsea or City did, not only that we have consistently said that wont be our model - the watch word has always been buy potential, develop and progress, its been an incompetent takeover and poor management from the owner and board even if the intentions were good in my opinion.

Last edited:
Build a world class stadium and top team and the returns will come.

But these two are in it for the love of football first, they want their own top team, so would most of us if we had their money.

[/QUOTE]
I dont think they did get lucky, they made good decisions with their investment. They entered Europe in their first season, won a trophy and invested in players like Aguero, Toure, Silva, etc quite early. Hughes was the manager when they arrived they made one change bringing Mancini in before hitting the stratosphere. They made good decisions in investing and managers. Every manager they have appointed since Hughes has won the league and qualified for the CL. We are on our being kind 4th reboot, with not one player the ilk of Aguero or a Silva.

We may have struck gold with Carlo based on his pedigree, but he hasnt been here a wet week yet so lets not take anything for granted. Even if he is good, are we likely to see the same investment again in the playing squad to improve, i dont think we can personally.

City made good decisions, we have made massively poor decisions and arent in arses roar of threatening Wolves or Leicester never mind challenging for Europe.

I just dont see what we have done as necessary to improve or comparible to what Chelsea or City did, not only that we have consistently said that wont be our model - the watch word has always been buy potential, develop and progress, its been an incompetent takeover and poor management from the owner and board even if the intentions were good.

Difference with us and citeh is that when they got their money they had no one but Utd and Chelsea who could compete with them financially.

When they threw big deals on the table for players like Lescott, Adebayor clubs like us and Arsenal couldnt say no.

Nowadays with the TV deals clubs like Leicester can hold out for bloody world record fees for average defenders like Maguire.

Status
Not open for further replies.